Won't get a colonoscopy

kandb

DIS Veteran
I am 52 year old female. I don't have a great stomach, never had, have reflux. I have been having stomach issues lately (bloating, gas, increased bm's). I am going to a gastro doctor next week. I had a stomach virus a month ago and it seems like my stomach hasn't been right since then. I know the gastro doctor will want to do a colonoscopy. I will refuse. I had a co-worker/friend that died after a colonoscopy. I also know 2 other women who have died after getting routine colonoscopies (my sister's friends mother and another friends neighbor, they were all female). I was discussing this with a co-worker who has crohns disease and she is young and her mom doesn't want her to get colonoscopies as she is required to do. She told me her and her mother know 3 people who have died after a colonoscopy. I have done some research since it seems strange that that many people can have serious complications. I also know someone who did not die but had to have surgery after a colonoscopy (perforation) also my husband had a lot of bleeding approx. 3 days after a colonoscopy and he had to go to the emergency (luckily it resolved itself)

My question, do any of you refuse colonoscopy? Are there other tests to get instead? I heard of one that tests your fecal dna? Any insight/comments are appreciated.

Yes, I know some will say the risks outweigh the complications, but my research on the matter shows different.

I have them every year with no issues. Have many family and friends have them with no problems. My dad didn't want one either til he started bleeding so bad and found out he had incurable colon cancer. I'll take my chances and continue to be proactive.

I am 52 year old female. I don't have a great stomach, never had, have reflux. I have been having stomach issues lately (bloating, gas, increased bm's). I am going to a gastro doctor next week. I had a stomach virus a month ago and it seems like my stomach hasn't been right since then. I know the gastro doctor will want to do a colonoscopy. I will refuse. I had a co-worker/friend that died after a colonoscopy. I also know 2 other women who have died after getting routine colonoscopies (my sister's friends mother and another friends neighbor, they were all female). I was discussing this with a co-worker who has crohns disease and she is young and her mom doesn't want her to get colonoscopies as she is required to do. She told me her and her mother know 3 people who have died after a colonoscopy. I have done some research since it seems strange that that many people can have serious complications. I also know someone who did not die but had to have surgery after a colonoscopy (perforation) also my husband had a lot of bleeding approx. 3 days after a colonoscopy and he had to go to the emergency (luckily it resolved itself)

My question, do any of you refuse colonoscopy? Are there other tests to get instead? I heard of one that tests your fecal dna? Any insight/comments are appreciated.

Yes, I know some will say the risks outweigh the complications, but my research on the matter shows different.

OP, I understand your fears. I did have a colonoscopy back when I was in my 40s because of some unexplained anemia. It was not a great experience for me. Also in that time, I have known of a coworker's friend (also female) that died of a perforation. It really scares me. I know it's rare but it sure doesn't seem rare enough. My doctors are hassling me these days for another. I know I need to but I can't bring myself to do it.

its understandable to be scared of something like this, but please go for the test. My dad died aged 62 from bowel cancer a few years before regular bowel screening and colonoscopy's were put in place in my country. If he had been sent for one in his mid 50's, maybe his cancer would have been picked up earlier and he wouldnt have had half his bowel removed and spent the last year of his life on chemo.

Have you had a stool sample tested? That would be the logical first step before a colonoscopy. If not, insist on it. They can test for bacterial infection that way, since you could have something like C. difficile.
Have you been taking probiotics?

I don't blame you either. I have ITP (low platelets) so I don't clot well when I bleed. The risk woukd be a serious worry for me. Thankfully, my doctor has not asked me to have one yet, but if/when she does, I would have to weigh things carefully.

On top of that, DH had one quite a while back, with no emergency complications, but I feel like his system really hasn't been the same since.

I had a colonoscopy at age 49 when I had to have an upper procedure done so I'd only have to have the anesthesia once. After the procedure, the doctor told me if I'd waited until the recommended age of 50, I'd have had to wear a colostomy bag for the rest of my life.

The only time I've ever had issues with heartburn was when I was pregnant with my dd in my 20's. I had no other problems or symptoms but a sudden issue with my esophogus that prompted both procedures. I now nag everyone to get a colonoscopy. And I sent a gift to the scheduling nurse who talked me into doing both at the same time.

How have I been missing all these stories of people dying after colonoscopies?

I have a friend with a family history of colon cancer. She had hers today. It was not pleasant, but she feels so much better today knowing that is not a concern of hers right now.

The easiest cure for colon cancer is early detection. Colonoscopy is the go to diagnostic tool for that.

Last edited:
Have you had a stool sample tested? That would be the logical first step before a colonoscopy. If not, insist on it. They can test for bacterial infection that way, since you could have something like C. difficile.
Have you been taking probiotics?

No I haven't taken any probiotics but I probably should be.

How do people die from getting a tube shoved up their butt?

They die because the tool perforates them. The flora from their colon enters their body and poisons them. My friend that had one got perforated during the procedure, they knew it right away, gave her a bag (colon) and she was in the hospital for a few days. She was released to a rehab, the morning after being released, her body swelled up due to sepsis and she died by the time she got to the hospital. I just believe the medical field hides how many people actually have complications from it. Perhaps they blame these complications on something else. With the medical field it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I had a colonoscopy at age 49 when I had to have an upper procedure done so I'd only have to have the anesthesia once. After the procedure, the doctor told me if I'd waited until the recommended age of 50, I'd have had to wear a colostomy bag for the rest of my life.

The only time I've ever had issues with heartburn was when I was pregnant with my dd in my 20's. I had no other problems or symptoms but a sudden issue with my esophogus that prompted both procedures. I now nag everyone to get a colonoscopy. And I sent a gift to the scheduling nurse who talked me into doing both at the same time.

I don't believe an endoscopy is as dangerous as a colonoscopy.

I have assisted during hundreds of colonoscopies and taken care of thousands of patients who've had colonoscopies during their hospital stays. I have not had anyone died from their procedures. Can it happen? Yes, but it really is very rare. I've taken care of a lot of hospice patients dying of colon cancer, who wished they'd been able to get treatment sooner.

I have assisted during hundreds of colonoscopies and taken care of thousands of patients who've had colonoscopies during their hospital stays. I have not had anyone died from their procedures. Can it happen? Yes, but it really is very rare. I've taken care of a lot of hospice patients dying of colon cancer, who wished they'd been able to get treatment sooner.

I literally was going to write the same thing. Im an RN also.
Seriously if you google anything you will find undesireable outcomes.

Sorry but i think its very irresponsible to not partake in preventitive medicines and tests. I just had one done in December . I had to start early since my grandmother died of colon cancer.

I was fine. Actually my mom and I went Christmas shopping after.

Just went with my mom to get her first one done a month ago. No problems. She had worked it up in her head to be a horrible experience and was pleasantly surprised.

I had numerous ones in one year due to a bowel obstruction (not caused by the colonoscopy) without any complications. I had also had one two years previous to that.

I would have another one tomorrow if the doc said I needed one it is that easy. I have several friends with Crohns and I don't know anyone who has had any complications.

Due to my age, my peers and I have all had our first colonoscopies in recent years. Only one had a complication but she was treated and recovered. I know of one person who died in her 60's due to skipping the screenings.

Colon cancer is extremely preventable if you simply have the screening. So even though I'm extremely doctor phobic, I had it done. The prep was unpleasant, the procedure was fine, and after sleeping the day away DH and I went out to dinner.

Get the colonoscopy. Cancer is much worse than the procedure.

My mother died of colon cancer many years ago.....I go every 5 years for one. Not fun....the prep. The procedure is easy.
I have had 4 so far.
BFF has a son that had problems for many years.....got them regularly. They detected cancer the last time....early. All take care of now. He is 33.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!