Won't get a colonoscopy

I’ve had 4 The first when I was 40, then 47, then 50, then 55..
No complications, they can save your life.
I hope that’s the last one I have to go through.

Despite this doctors continue to require a starvation diet the day before and two days before only liquid.
That's not what I had to do. 2 days before the procedure I had to stop eating raw veggies, foods with large grains, and no red meat.

The day before the procedure full liquid diet. Clear liquids (no cream in coffee/tea) only. Including jello & popsicles. Nothing red or purple

I do know two people IRL who have had medical issues after colonoscopies. However I know 5 people who have had colon cancer. I had my first colonoscopy when I turned 50 and am on a five year recall. Even with the odds of my own personal circle, which I think I way worse than most, it pays to have it.

My post was not inflammatory to anyone. Yes, I believe a lot of decisions from the medical field are based on how much $$$$$$ they are going to make. No, I never said anything inflammatory to anyone on here. The people on here don't own the medical community. Of course there are doctors/nurses that want to help people but the field is a big business. I have seen many examples of it.
I wish someone had told me that going into the medical field was going to give me this life of glamour and wealth. And to think, all these 35 years I’ve been working days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays dealing with life and death, cleaning bodily fluids, missing meals at work because my patients need me, missing time with my family because of crazy work hours and all it’s ever given me was a very middle class income and a sense of satisfaction. based on your extensive research, please share with me where the medical community is making all this $$$$$$$$$$$$ so I can go there. Clearly I’ve been doing it all wrong for years.

So many questions! All Im saying is do whatever you want, but don't put others down because they are choosing different for themselves. Worry about yourselves, basically.

OP: if your gut is telling you to question the colonoscopy, find a DO who will be on board with refusing. Just listen to your inner voice. And I would stop coming here for medical opinions because they are 99% in line with the CDC - so just go there to see what the majority here would advise.
Actually you can do whatever you want as far as health choices and the consequences of those choices.

The bigger issue is your continuous claims ofvresearch and knowledge without a willingness to share links to this research and knowledge so we can all read it for ourselves and decide.

That makes it suspect to me. But if it works for you, then so be it.

The day that medicine cares only about money is the day I leave my profession.
Apparently that day has come Pea. I assume you’re quite wealthy from all your years in the medical field, since apparently that’s all we’re interested in

Clear liquids for 2 days? I don't think that's what "most doctors" require.
That’s not been my experience in my area either. Usually it’s eat s light breakfast and lunch the day before. Clear liquids (no red or purple) after lunch. Fleet prep in the evening (laxative pills and a couple of small bottles to drink). Good to go. And that’s been the fairly common prep for quite a number of years around here.

Once in awhile someone will need to
Do a “Golitely” prep but that’s usually because they have some other special circumstance.

I am 52 year old female. I don't have a great stomach, never had, have reflux. I have been having stomach issues lately (bloating, gas, increased bm's). I am going to a gastro doctor next week. I had a stomach virus a month ago and it seems like my stomach hasn't been right since then. I know the gastro doctor will want to do a colonoscopy. I will refuse. I had a co-worker/friend that died after a colonoscopy. I also know 2 other women who have died after getting routine colonoscopies (my sister's friends mother and another friends neighbor, they were all female). I was discussing this with a co-worker who has crohns disease and she is young and her mom doesn't want her to get colonoscopies as she is required to do. She told me her and her mother know 3 people who have died after a colonoscopy. I have done some research since it seems strange that that many people can have serious complications. I also know someone who did not die but had to have surgery after a colonoscopy (perforation) also my husband had a lot of bleeding approx. 3 days after a colonoscopy and he had to go to the emergency (luckily it resolved itself)

My question, do any of you refuse colonoscopy? Are there other tests to get instead? I heard of one that tests your fecal dna? Any insight/comments are appreciated.

Yes, I know some will say the risks outweigh the complications, but my research on the matter shows different.

Ok...where is the research coming from? I'm trying not be disrespectful, but between this and your beliefs of voter fraud, I'm guessing you're reading/watching some unreliable, unscientific, paranoia causing stuff.

My aunt kept putting off getting a colonoscopy even though several members of her family had precancerous polyps. They kept telling her she needed to get one done. She finally gave in and it was too late. They found colon cancer and she passed away from this. If she had taken the advice that her family had been given her, they would have found the cancer before it had gone too far.
I have only had one, but would do it again. One tip I would give anyone doing the cleansing - use baby wipes. I wish I had thought of that when I had mine done, but it wasn't until later that I figured it out.

This is a zombie thread from 1.5 years ago. However, getting one is important. IMO, the fuss about the prep is overblown, it's not really that big of a deal. Yes, the diet is a bit restrictive but not terrible and even the prep meds aren't that bad. I have Crohns', so this is something I'm all too familiar with...

After being diagnosed with CD almost 28 years ago, I've had more scopes than anyone else I know. I agree that the prep meds aren't really that bad.

BTW, Klayfish, do you also have a favorite flavor of barium? They all taste chalky, but I prefer the banana flavor. LOL

I am 52 year old female. I don't have a great stomach, never had, have reflux. I have been having stomach issues lately (bloating, gas, increased bm's). I am going to a gastro doctor next week. I had a stomach virus a month ago and it seems like my stomach hasn't been right since then. I know the gastro doctor will want to do a colonoscopy. I will refuse. I had a co-worker/friend that died after a colonoscopy. I also know 2 other women who have died after getting routine colonoscopies (my sister's friends mother and another friends neighbor, they were all female). I was discussing this with a co-worker who has crohns disease and she is young and her mom doesn't want her to get colonoscopies as she is required to do. She told me her and her mother know 3 people who have died after a colonoscopy. I have done some research since it seems strange that that many people can have serious complications. I also know someone who did not die but had to have surgery after a colonoscopy (perforation) also my husband had a lot of bleeding approx. 3 days after a colonoscopy and he had to go to the emergency (luckily it resolved itself)

My question, do any of you refuse colonoscopy? Are there other tests to get instead? I heard of one that tests your fecal dna? Any insight/comments are appreciated.

Yes, I know some will say the risks outweigh the complications, but my research on the matter shows different.

I haven't heard of a test for fecal dna. All the tests I've heard about test for blood in the stool which can be there for dozens of reasons. So I'm not sure they are much good.

I haven't heard of a test for fecal dna. All the tests I've heard about test for blood in the stool which can be there for dozens of reasons. So I'm not sure they are much good.
Which is why the colonoscopy remains the gold standard. The test for blood in the stool is merely a screening tool. If blood is confirmed, they likely need to move on to........ a colonoscopy.

Last edited:

If you are more comfortable with other screening tests then go ahead and try them it can't hurt, but here is my experience. When I was in my early 30's I went in for a yearly womans exam. The doctor stuck her finger up you know where! That is not standard for a yearly so I was surprised. A few days later I got a call from a gastroenterologist office saying I needed to make an appointment for a colonoscopy! I called the doctor and they finally said that I tested positive for blood in the stool. Geeze I could have told them I had been constipated a short time before. I was really mad they the doctors office didn't call me first and I think they should have. It was shocking to get a call from a gastroenterologist office out of the blue. I did not have the colonoscopy. So I don't think much of testing for blood since there are so many other reasons. My ex husband was complaining of blood in the toilet. He thought it was from his stomach, but he said it was bright red blood so I told him that could not be the source. Even though he had really bad hemorrhoids they said he needed a colonoscopy. The doctor said he say the hemorrhoids on the way in, but still didn't get that the problem was bleeding hemorrhoids. Of course as soon as the hemorrhoids were fixed the bleeding stopped. He didn't even need the colonoscopy. To this day I don't understand why they didn't fix the hemorrhoids first.

If you are more comfortable with other screening tests then go ahead and try them it can't hurt, but here is my experience. When I was in my early 30's I went in for a yearly womans exam. The doctor stuck her finger up you know where! That is not standard for a yearly so I was surprised. A few days later I got a call from a gastroenterologist office saying I needed to make an appointment for a colonoscopy! I called the doctor and they finally said that I tested positive for blood in the stool. Geeze I could have told them I had been constipated a short time before. I was really mad they the doctors office didn't call me first and I think they should have. It was shocking to get a call from a gastroenterologist office out of the blue. I did not have the colonoscopy. So I don't think much of testing for blood since there are so many other reasons. My ex husband was complaining of blood in the toilet. He thought it was from his stomach, but he said it was bright red blood so I told him that could not be the source. Even though he had really bad hemorrhoids they said he needed a colonoscopy. The doctor said he say the hemorrhoids on the way in, but still didn't get that the problem was bleeding hemorrhoids. Of course as soon as the hemorrhoids were fixed the bleeding stopped. He didn't even need the colonoscopy. To this day I don't understand why they didn't fix the hemorrhoids first.
You quoted yourself and referred to yourself in the third person?

How are those dance costumes doing?

My college age dd has vasovagal syncope (passes out for medical things) and needs to get a pap and a breast screening.

I have been looking into other screenings for her that are non invasive/painful. Upon doing this research there are alternatives. One is thermography.
http://www.breastthermography.com/

Not sure how to get her a pap smear. Still looking into that.

I also would be interested in different types of screenings. :flower3:
I have been wondering about thermography too. It is recognized that it can detect breast cancer, but not colon cancer. Is that because the FDA hasn't decided it can see colon cancer or because it really can't and are not allowed to say it does until the FDA gives it a thumbs up? It just seems like if it can see breast cancer why not colon cancer. No it can't see a precancerous polyp but if it can see cancer???????

The prep my husband and I used was really simple. I posted it once before in a similar thread but I will post it again. All you have to drink is two 5 oz. shots of prep (split dose) and then just make sure you drink clear liquids of your choice for the rest of the time. The shots are spaced out and were easy to get down.

The prep really was so easy!!! We drank water, had broth, wonton soup (without the wontons of course), tea, etc. No nasty pasty drinks or laxatives.

Here is some info on it.

http://www.prepopik.com/how-to-take-prepopik/

View attachment 233790

MJ
Is it over the counter or do you have to get a script

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter