Winter Olympics

Canada is about to collapse...no curling medals and Germany is up 4-1 going into the 3rd period of the men's hockey semi-final.

It won't matter that we are second overall in total medals, people will only remember the missed chances.

Have you forgotten then mixed doubles curling gold? Or doesn't that one matter?

Thanks I did forget that one. I think that one was fantastic and the games were much more exciting to watch.

I don't doubt the shock of both the men and women failing to medal in curling clouded your memory about mixed pairs.

There's still a chance of bronze in men's hockey. But I understand how these losses are a huge disappointment in Canada.

Short memories - same as Americans who just a couple days ago were wringing their hands over the lack of medals in these Olympics. ;)

NBC needs to do a better job of scheduling American medal winners during the first week. ;)

Despite the nine medals over the past few days, I don't know if the US can meet what many analysts were predicting: 25 or more medals. One more is guaranteed in men's curling; not sure if any others are realistic.

NBC needs to do a better job of scheduling American medal winners during the first week. ;)

Despite the nine medals over the past few days, I don't know if the US can meet what many analysts were predicting: 25 or more medals. One more is guaranteed in men's curling; not sure if any others are realistic.

Probably a men's big air medal or two, but that's likely it. Don't know if the US stands any chance in 4 man bobsled and I see that there's a new team alpine event which I know nothing about?

Probably a men's big air medal or two, but that's likely it. Don't know if the US stands any chance in 4 man bobsled and I see that there's a new team alpine event which I know nothing about?

I'm not sure what the team alpine encompasses either. I suppose we'll see tonight. But the other day Lindsey Vonn said she's pulling out of the event because there's no chance of the US winning a medal. Probably will be a Swiss/Austrian/German/French/Norwegian thing.

Canada is about to collapse...no curling medals and Germany is up 4-1 going into the 3rd period of the men's hockey semi-final.

It won't matter that we are second overall in total medals, people will only remember the missed chances.

That would be a shame, because Canada has had tremendous results these games.

I'm behind again on our recordings as we saw Black Panther on Tuesday and my husband was out of town Wednesday through yesterday but excited to see at least some of those medals get won if they are in the events I have recorded. Last time I check on Monday it was something like 10 medals at that point for U.S.

Further proves that none of them should have been there.

I really hope the lady Russian figure skaters were clean. If so, they certainly belong in the Olympics. If all Russians had been banned I wonder how many of them would have shown up as participants from other countries. Is it just me, or do others find it strange for athletes to change the country they represent?

I really hope the lady Russian figure skaters were clean. If so, they certainly belong in the Olympics. If all Russians had been banned I wonder how many of them would have shown up as participants from other countries. Is it just me, or do others find it strange for athletes to change the country they represent?

It's been happening here and there for decades, but over the past few Olympics "Country Shopping" has practically evolved into its own medal event.

In Sochi there was an American who switched allegiances to Russia and won two medals in snowboard racing. I wonder if he retired or was banned from competing.

For me it depends on their “why”. Jazmine Fenlator, from the Jamaican bobsled team, had previously competed with the US. Her reason for switching countries was to help promote diversity in the sport. She wanted kids to see her and maybe help them realize that they too can do what she is doing. Jazmine had been approached previously by Jamaica to switch countries, but had refused them. I believe her reasons, and don’t think she did it just to improve chances to win. (Especially since her team placed 18th)

I've heard that the Russian figure skating program implemented something with their young skaters back in the early '00s and the result has been that they currently have a stable of 20 ladies who have the ability to step onto the ice at international events and be competitive with the rest of the world. I didn't understand what it was they implemented, I thought I heard some type of judging? The US figure skating program implemented it in '15 or '16, so it's expected that we can't realistically figure to compete with the immense depth of the Russian field for ten years.

It's amazing. All those tour de france riders that have asthma, Bobsledders with heart problems such that they need heart medicine. We have it all wrong. We don't need fitness to win. We need to make ourselves sick to win.

Last edited:
Have you forgotten then mixed doubles curling gold? Or doesn't that one matter?

I don't doubt the shock of both the men and women failing to medal in curling clouded your memory about mixed pairs.
There's still a chance of bronze in men's hockey. But I understand how these losses are a huge disappointment in Canada.
:sad1: Not just a disappointment, a shock and to our collective psyches, an embarrassment. And as you may have noticed, we've been none to gracious in defeat. :blush:
upload_2018-2-23_11-6-38.png
That would be a shame, because Canada has had tremendous results these games.
True, I suppose and there have been some spectacular moments of unexpected victory, like yesterday's figure skating bronze for Kaitlyn Osmond. But hockey and curling are our games :sad: .

:sad1: Not just a disappointment, a shock and to our collective psyches, an embarrassment. And as you may have noticed, we've been none to gracious in defeat. :blush:
View attachment 304215

True, I suppose and there have been some spectacular moments of unexpected victory, like yesterday's figure skating bronze for Kaitlyn Osmond. But hockey and curling are our games :sad: .

Brace yourselves. It is looking like South Korea is really developing an enthusiasm and an aptitude for curling. I think everybody on the rinks better be ready for quite a shift in the dynamics by next games. On the hockey front they are expanding the amount of entrants, at least in the female tourney, for the next games by two. As it is the games are no longer so lopsided as they used to be until Canada and US faced off, with most of the other countries less likely to match the firepower.

Fear not, I cannot imagine hockey and curling not being Canada's games. You just might have a little more excitement tallying up the wins.

I've heard that the Russian figure skating program implemented something with their young skaters back in the early '00s and the result has been that they currently have a stable of 20 ladies who have the ability to step onto the ice at international events and be competitive with the rest of the world. I didn't understand what it was they implemented, I thought I heard some type of judging? The US figure skating program implemented it in '15 or '16, so it's expected that we can't realistically figure to compete with the immense depth of the Russian field for ten years.

I remember that comment and they were talking about how the Russians started scoring their jumping and that is why the girls are so much better at jumping then ours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter