Winter Olympics

Congrats to the USA Women's hockey team on their well deserved gold medal. I do hate seeing medal games decided by shoot-outs. Totally inappropriate way to decide a game.

USA men have Team Can by the short hairs in men's curling right now. I think the two Canadian teams are the worst reps we have sent in a long time. That's not from skill standpoint, they are very skilled. But they are not good together when things are not going there way and rumour has it, nasty people around the rink.

Congrats to the USA Women's hockey team on their well deserved gold medal. I do hate seeing medal games decided by shoot-outs. Totally inappropriate way to decide a game.

USA men have Team Can by the short hairs in men's curling right now. I think the two Canadian teams are the worst reps we have sent in a long time. That's not from skill standpoint, they are very skilled. But they are not good together when things are not going there way and rumour has it, nasty people around the rink.
I am not a big soccer fan, but I remember watching the 1994 World Cup. I could not believe it came down to a shoot-out. I thought it was crazy. I guess my alternative would be to just keep playing extra time, maybe shorter periods with breaks. If the best conditioned team wins, so be it. I'm sure there are other, more creative alternatives...

I feel bad for the Canadians. I think the hockey and curling wins take on a whole new meaning to Canada that the rest of the world has to relate to in other areas of sport.

I am not a big soccer fan, but I remember watching the 1994 World Cup. I could not believe it came down to a shoot-out. I thought it was crazy. I guess my alternative would be to just keep playing extra time, maybe shorter periods with breaks. If the best conditioned team wins, so be it. I'm sure there are other, more creative alternatives...

I'm happy the USA women won the gold, but I do wish it was via continued regular OT rather than a shootout.

I remember the World Cups in 1994 (and 2006) being decided by shootouts. Olympic men's hockey in 1994 as well.

Shootouts are tolerable in the early medal rounds (like USA v Czech men's) and possibly for the bronze medal game, but not the gold medal.

Great win in curling by the US men!!!!
:sad: The 2018 Olympics are officially over for me. This outcome was completely unexpected. I wonder what Mr. T thinks about it? :rotfl:Searching for a silver lining here - it does seem like more people are becoming interested in curling from a spectators standpoint and I guess that’s good.

I was pretty startled and embarrassed by Rachel Holman’s CBC interview. Very ungracious for a Canadian, much less a curler. :blush: I just woke to the news of Koe’s loss - I wonder how he will handle himself?

I was pretty startled and embarrassed by Rachel Holman’s CBC interview. Very ungracious for a Canadian, much less a curler. :blush: I just woke to the news of Koe’s loss - I wonder how he will handle himself?

For some reason, I feel the criticisms personally (not that they aren't deserved) because I know her dad/stepmom well and have met her a few times and she's actually a really nice and gracious person. At least, off the ice (and when not doing CBC interviews). Loosing is one thing. Disrespect is another.

:sad: The 2018 Olympics are officially over for me. This outcome was completely unexpected. I wonder what Mr. T thinks about it? :rotfl:Searching for a silver lining here - it does seem like more people are becoming interested in curling from a spectators standpoint and I guess that’s good.

For some reason, I feel the criticisms personally (not that they aren't deserved) because I know her dad/stepmom well and have met her a few times and she's actually a really nice and gracious person. At least, off the ice (and when not doing CBC interviews). Loosing is one thing. Disrespect is another.

Didn't see the interview on air and everything I pull up on Google says they're experiencing difficulties & cannot play it. What did she say or do that was disrespectful? A lot of the articles that are coming up in my search don't reflect badly on Homan -- and a lot of discussion about Canadians being upset with the interviewer for "grilling" Homan immediately after the loss.

I'm just going by what I have been told by people I know who have curled against them at the Scotties and at the Canadian Junior Championship.

Now there's a big kerfuffle about the Canadian hockey player who immediately removed her silver medal during the ceremony. No idea what thoughts drove her actions, but for sure she's bringing an awful lot of negative attention on herself when she's already devastated.

I don't disagree but the problem is that at some point, you very well might have players dropping from exhaustion and getting injured due to fatigue. I mean, a second overtime probably wouldn't be so bad, but what happens when it goes 4 or 5 overtimes?

A couple years ago, the state hockey championships here in Ohio ended up in a controversial tie. The game went 5 overtimes and nobody scored. Officials finally decided to call it a tie, fearing that boys would start getting hurt.

Supposedly to reduce friction. They were developed after the USA's poor performance in Sochi. But it's not helping very much,

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/team-usa-speed-skating-uniform-crotches-winter-olympics-2018
Thanks for the link! I still think they could've come up with a different color scheme so the crotch area wasn't "highlighted" as much as it is. I guess it is gray and not white. Might as well put it under the arms and on the butt cheeks too!

Now there's a big kerfuffle about the Canadian hockey player who immediately removed her silver medal during the ceremony. No idea what thoughts drove her actions, but for sure she's bringing an awful lot of negative attention on herself when she's already devastated.

Very stupid move on her part. I guess she didn't see all the heat the Swedish kid took when he threw his into the stands at the World Juniors.

I don't disagree but the problem is that at some point, you very well might have players dropping from exhaustion and getting injured due to fatigue. I mean, a second overtime probably wouldn't be so bad, but what happens when it goes 4 or 5 overtimes?

A couple years ago, the state hockey championships here in Ohio ended up in a controversial tie. The game went 5 overtimes and nobody scored. Officials finally decided to call it a tie, fearing that boys would start getting hurt.

It doesn't happen often but there are playoff games in the NHL that go to multiple overtime periods. Not that big a deal if they happen every now and then.

Very stupid move on her part. I guess she didn't see all the heat the Swedish kid took when he threw his into the stands at the World Juniors.

Unfortunately nobody knows what she was thinking, but now she's devastated about the loss and she's gonna get a ton of grief piled on her head. For all anybody knows she could have been lost in her own thoughts, maybe angry at herself for not doing more to win, and took it off in anger at herself & now people are calling her a brat or worse over what might have been entirely different thoughts in her head.

Unfortunately nobody knows what she was thinking, but now she's devastated about the loss and she's gonna get a ton of grief piled on her head. For all anybody knows she could have been lost in her own thoughts, maybe angry at herself for not doing more to win, and took it off in anger at herself & now people are calling her a brat or worse over what might have been entirely different thoughts in her head.

If We go back to mackayla maroney on the podium after her vaulting medal...pretty sure people were merciless to her and all she did was make a face. Now she's forever a meme.

I thought the hockey player was very unsportsmanlike.

If We go back to mackayla maroney on the podium after her vaulting medal...pretty sure people were merciless to her and all she did was make a face. Now she's forever a meme.

I thought the hockey player was very unsportsmanlike.

I thought the Mulroney incident was a very OTT public reaction to not very much.

I understand the hockey player's action looks very unsportsmanlike. I'm trying to leave some space for a devastated competitor who may have been entirely lost in her own thoughts in the moment. If she comes out and says she felt the silver wasn't good enough or some kind of unsportsmanlike comment, then I'll call her out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter