Winter Olympics

I just watched the video of Jocelyne Larocque removing her medal right after receiving it.

I can understand the disappointment of being beat in overtime and then have to stand to accept your "consolation" medal minutes later. I remember watching the gold medal game in 2014 when the Canada did just that to the USA and I remember watching the American women standing stiffly and crying as they accepted the silver medal. One or two barely acknowledged the medal presenter. I thought that was pretty bad at the time.

Larocque made a very poor choice. You need to know that you are representing your country in the medal ceremony and you swallow your disappointment enough to be a good sport and be gracious. The way that someone acts in defeat is far more telling than how they act in victory. What makes her behavior even worse is (1) she's 29 and not a young pup and (2) she already HAS A GOLD MEDAL from 2014.

Figure Skating used to be my favorite Winter Olympic event. However, I don't know if I've changed or if the sport changed because over the last couple of Olympics, I found figure skating to be somewhat boring. I wasn't as invested in any of the routines.

And there was a Russian dancing pair I remember & the girl had this beautiful flame-red hair - their routines were so passionate & beautiful.

In Vancouver, I do remember the Canadian pair - Jamie Sale & her partner (can't remember his name) & really liking them.

Oh, & remember the Canadian pair from years ago - His name was Lloyd & I can't remember her name, but I loved them too.

The change in the scoring has really strangled the sport, made things less creative and more boring.
I think you're remembering the French team of Anissina and Peizerat.
Jamie Sale and David Pellitier (he's a skating trainer for the Edmonton Oilers now).
Isabelle Brassuer and Lloyd Eisler (her daughter competes now and is quite good).

I would have loved to watch Moir and Virtue win gold but my DVD cut out a few moments before they skated. Where can I watch their awesome skate??
NBC Sports app. :)

Wendy31 said:
Figure Skating used to be my favorite Winter Olympic event. However, I don't know if I've changed or if the sport changed because over the last couple of Olympics, I found figure skating to be somewhat boring. I wasn't as invested in any of the routines.

And there was a Russian dancing pair I remember & the girl had this beautiful flame-red hair - their routines were so passionate & beautiful.

In Vancouver, I do remember the Canadian pair - Jamie Sale & her partner (can't remember his name) & really liking them.

Oh, & remember the Canadian pair from years ago - His name was Lloyd & I can't remember her name, but I loved them too.

The change in the scoring has really strangled the sport, made things less creative and more boring.
I think you're remembering the French team of Anissina and Peizerat.
921d84d66c07a884be0fc12c78ba2ac5--ice-skating-figure-skating.jpg

Jamie Sale and David Pellitier (he's a skating trainer for the Edmonton Oilers now).
Isabelle Brassuer and Lloyd Eisler (her daughter competes now and is quite good).

I would have loved to watch Moir and Virtue win gold but my DVD cut out a few moments before they skated. Where can I watch their awesome skate??
NBC Sports app. :)

The Hungarian girl was awesome. Never thought I'd see the day where biker leather and AC/DC would be part of Olympic figure skating competition. Usually that kind of stuff is reserved for the gala.

This is the first year that skaters are allowed to use songs with lyrics so I guess some of them are taking full advantage of it, LOL.

I think the Team Figure Skating Event has messed things up for a lot of skaters. Athletes train carefully to peak at exactly the right moment for their Olympic performance. I think many of the skaters peaked at the team event and then had no steam left for their individual event (see also gymnastics, once again, McKayla Maroney who vaulted to near perfection in the team event in gymnastics but couldn't hit it in her individual vault).

I suggest that if they INSIST on making this odd Team Event, they should simply use the scores FROM the individual events. Of course they would have to declare in advance which programs they were going to use for each of the slots Mens short/long, women's short/long, pairs short/long, ice dance short/long. But I think it would be much better this way.

I think the Team Figure Skating Event has messed things up for a lot of skaters. Athletes train carefully to peak at exactly the right moment for their Olympic performance. I think many of the skaters peaked at the team event and then had no steam left for their individual event (see also gymnastics, once again, McKayla Maroney who vaulted to near perfection in the team event in gymnastics but couldn't hit it in her individual vault).

I suggest that if they INSIST on making this odd Team Event, they should simply use the scores FROM the individual events. Of course they would have to declare in advance which programs they were going to use for each of the slots Mens short/long, women's short/long, pairs short/long, ice dance short/long. But I think it would be much better this way.

In gymnastics though, they have the qualifying round, team, all around, then individual competitions. It will be tougher when they go down to 4 gymnasts at the next olympics.

For skating, maybe they can put the team event after the individual event?

The difference is the team event in Gymnastics is the qualification round for both all around and individual events to come later. The team skate doesn't do anything other than be the team event. Personally, I'd like to see the team event in skating become a multi person show rather than what it is.

Last edited:
Canada is about to collapse...no curling medals and Germany is up 4-1 going into the 3rd period of the men's hockey semi-final.

It won't matter that we are second overall in total medals, people will only remember the missed chances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!