Winter Olympics

That was an amazing performance.

For those with their minds in the gutter like me, one of their moves looked, well, almost obscene. They get the gold just for that maneuver alone. :thumbsup2
Obscene never occurred to me but the moves did look rather dangerous!
prc_68948146.jpg

So I stayed up extra late after last night's curling match to watch the interviews and medal ceremony, and was surprised to see that they did the ceremony right there in the curling venue as opposed to the medal plaza. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that?

I'm kind of missing the days where all the medals were awarded this way. I mean I get why they do the whole plaza thing now, as it makes things easier to streamline the process, but I think it kind of cheats the spectators who paid to see a medal competition but then don't get to witness firsthand the proud moment of the winners actually receiving their medals. White tiger mascot stuffies are adorable but it's not the same.

So I stayed up extra late after last night's curling match to watch the interviews and medal ceremony, and was surprised to see that they did the ceremony right there in the curling venue as opposed to the medal plaza. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that?

I'm kind of missing the days where all the medals were awarded this way. I mean I get why they do the whole plaza thing now, as it makes things easier to streamline the process, but I think it kind of cheats the spectators who paid to see a medal competition but then don't get to witness firsthand the proud moment of the winners actually receiving their medals. White tiger mascot stuffies are adorable but it's not the same.
When I made my earlier comment about the plaza it was in relation to the more coveted highly watched sports. But majority of sports are at the Plaza.

Looks like Hockey, Curling, Mens and Womens Speed Skating Mass Start, and 4-man bob-sleigh appeared to be the only sports (at least at a quick glance; could be missing events) that have their victory medal ceremonies at their respective venues as opposed to the Plaza.

If you go here you can download a link that has where the medal ceremonies are held and when: https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/culture/medal-plaza

I just watched the video of Jocelyne Larocque removing her medal right after receiving it.

I can understand the disappointment of being beat in overtime and then have to stand to accept your "consolation" medal minutes later. I remember watching the gold medal game in 2014 when the Canada did just that to the USA and I remember watching the American women standing stiffly and crying as they accepted the silver medal. One or two barely acknowledged the medal presenter. I thought that was pretty bad at the time.

Larocque made a very poor choice. You need to know that you are representing your country in the medal ceremony and you swallow your disappointment enough to be a good sport and be gracious. The way that someone acts in defeat is far more telling than how they act in victory. What makes her behavior even worse is (1) she's 29 and not a young pup and (2) she already HAS A GOLD MEDAL from 2014.
We just got to watching this recording and I totally agree. It made her look very ungrateful. I mean I know how disappointed they must have been truly but my goodness wait until you're not being watched on global tv representing your country to remove your medal that you earned.

I gotta say it was a great play the American had the last shot at the shootout :)

We figured as these events were coming to an end, they didn't really have time to move everyone necessary to the medal plaza, get home and sleep, and then prepare for the Closing Ceremonies. The curling started at 3:35 in the afternoon Korean time (I think), so finishing 6PMish. Who knows what "in venue" stuff they have to get done (media, doping controls, etc.) And then they would have to travel from Gangnueng to Pyeongchang, then wherever they are staying. I think normally evening events get their medals the next day. But next day, in this case, is the day of the Closing Ceremonies. Looking at the website, it looks like all day they are only permitting people with Closing Ceremonies tickets to enter the Pyeongchang Olympic Plaza (which is both the medal plaza, and the stadium). So the logistics would be tricky.

Looks like Hockey, Curling, Mens and Womens Speed Skating Mass Start, and 4-man bob-sleigh appeared to be the only sports (at least at a quick glance; could be missing events) that have their victory medal ceremonies at their respective venues as opposed to the Plaza.

And these are all part of the final group of events to finish. The Cross-Country distance events (50K / 30K) get their medals during the Closing Ceremonies (which I fully expect NBC to "cut for time."

prc_68948146.jpg

They changed this move between the team competition and individual. In the individual competition, she had, for lack of a better term, both legs around his head for a couple second as opposed to just one leg over his shoulder. They thought it would be too "obscene" that way so they did a variation for team and then changed it back to the original for the individual comp. The whole thing was hot - I don't think that one lift made a huge difference. It was about their connection, not that specific move.

I guess I will be watching the Skating Gala on my Apple TV because NBC decided we didn't need to see everybody. I really wanted to listen to Tessa and Scott call the whole program. The only thing I don't like on the app are the two people who call it. They have made some mistakes and even I someone who knows nothing about skating could tell.

Well that's a wrap and things went pretty well overall. Two weeks to rest up for the Paralympics.

medal table.jpg

I just read that Katarina Witt was given permission to deflect if she won the gold medal. I also feel East Germany knew she belonged to the world then and they could no longer restrict her traveling or leaving the country. Wasn’t it soon after that the Wall came down anyways?

1989. Her last Olympics was 1988, I think. My exchange student told me the harrowing story of how her step father left East Germany about two years before the wall came down. He took his then wife and young daughter to Hungary on a "day trip" (left with only a small suitcase in the car because they had to make it look like a day trip!), and from there, was able to cross the border to what was then West Germany. They left with almost nothing, and started life completely over. Then, two years later, the wall comes down. He has questioned to this day whether it would have been better to stay for those two years. Of course, that's with the benefit of hindsight. What a different world we live in today!

Last edited:
1989. Her last Olympics was 1988, I think. My exchange student told me the harrowing story of how her step father left East Germany about two years before the wall came down. He took his then wife and young daughter to Hungary on a "day trip" (left with only a small suitcase in the car because they had to make it look like a day trip!), and from there, was able to cross the border to what was then West Germany. They left with almost nothing, and started life completely over. Then, two years later, the wall comes down. He has questioned to this day whether it would have been better to stay for those two years. Of course, that's with the benefit of hindsight. What a different world we live in today!
I know we are not suppose to talk politics, but history is going to repeat itself.

Last edited:
prc_68948146.jpg

You're a better person than me. Mind not always in the gutter.

Yes, the moves looked dangerous too. Their performance is probably the only one that WOWed me in these Olympics.

They changed this move between the team competition and individual. In the individual competition, she had, for lack of a better term, both legs around his head for a couple second as opposed to just one leg over his shoulder. They thought it would be too "obscene" that way so they did a variation for team and then changed it back to the original for the individual comp. The whole thing was hot - I don't think that one lift made a huge difference. It was about their connection, not that specific move.

No, I really didn't think that one move alone earned them the gold medal.

I didn't see them skate in the team event or individual short program, so when they performed in the long program it was quite impressive.

I heard a commentator last night say that we had over 20 4th place finishes! Did anyone else hear that? If it is true that is pretty sad.

Maybe the commentator meant 4th and 5th place finishes. I looked it up now that the events are over.

Fourth Place Medal Winners

crushed-soda-can-13236045.jpg

USA 12
Norway 11
Germany 8
Not Russia 7
Austria 7
Canada 6

Two countries with 5
Three countries with 4

15 countries with one, two, or three.

No 4th place medals in two events: There was a tie for bronze in one biathlon race, so it skipped to 5th place. Norway was elevated from 4th to bronze in mixed curling due to Not Russia doping incident.

For the USA, in four instances, moving the 4th place finisher up to bronze would have knocked a different American out of the medals.

No 4th place medals in two events: There was a tie for bronze in one biathlon race, so it skipped to 5th place. Norway was elevated from 4th to bronze in mixed curling due to Not Russia doping incident.

For the USA, in four instances, moving the 4th place finisher up to bronze would have knocked a different American out of the medals.
Thanks for mentioning it - I had wondered how it played out.

Weighting the artistic side higher has caused problems with the development of younger skaters too. When the artistic side of the mark was getting more attention many pipelines of very young skaters moved away from increasing their jumping arsenal to include more jumps with more revolutions. When the concept of increasing points for attempted jumps factored in, many formerly promising skaters were left in the dust. Somehow they're going to have to really work on a concept that hits the sweet spot for both sides -- and more than that clean up their judging all the way around.

The Russian ladies long program last night offers another perspective. No jumps at all until second half of program to boost the bonus score on each, resulting in a second half of the program with no attempt at artistry or choreography whatsoever, merely jump, after jump, after jump, after jump . . .

Well, they weren't all that promising if they couldn't keep up and were left in the dust, IMO.

I've been watching figure skating since the 1972 Olympics and still can't tell the difference between a lutz and flip. I've seen diagrams and read explanations, but it's all Greek to me, so I sit back and enjoy watching.

I liked when they showed the score from each judge rather than just the total.

For a right handed (CCW) skater:

All jumps are landed on outside edge of right skate.

Waltz/Axel - forward take-off left skate outside edge

All other jumps backwards take off:

Toe loop - skating backwards on right foot outside edge, left skate jammed into ice with toepick for take-off
Loop - skating backwards on right foot outside edge for take-off (note - a loop takes off and lands on same skate edge)
Salchow - skating backwards on left foot inside edge for take-off, most skaters do a 3-turn into the jump.

Flip - skating backwards on left inside edge (like the salchow) but toepick with right foot for takeoff
Lutz -skating backwards on left outside edge, which is going opposite the jump direction. Right foot toepick just like flip.

The loop and salchow don't have the toe-pick like the toe loop, flip and lutz.
The loop takes off and lands on same foot and edge.
The salchow goes from one foot to the other.

The toe loop is a loop with a toe-pick assist.
The lutz and flip have the same feet, just the entry edge is opposite - inside for flip, outside for lutz.

It's kind of rude to say 'it's all Greek to me' BTW.

It is not a sport if:

1. Scoring is primarily decided by judges;
2. It requires a costume instead of a uniform;
3. Makeup and/or glitter are involved;
4. It is performed to music; or
5. You can smoke a cigarette while doing it.

If any of these apply it may be considered an athletic competition, performance art or an active hobby.

So men's hockey is a sport, but women's hockey isn't. I dare you to go tell the USA women's hockey team that in person.

Call me weird, but I really enjoy biathlon. There’s such strategy - ski too hard and you’ll be out of breath & miss your targets. Ski too slow and you lose the race. And it’s such a goofy concept for a sport anyway! Loved seeing the 50th ranked guy take the silver!!

Not a goofy concept - it's from Norwegian military training.

They did amazing. Johnny Weir said they were the only ones who made the team due to merit.

And you believe anything that comes out of Weir's brain?

I think that's partially true.

However, I honestly didn't even remember Tessa & Scott from Sochi. I just barely watched Davis & White.

Figure Skating used to be my favorite Winter Olympic event. However, I don't know if I've changed or if the sport changed because over the last couple of Olympics, I found figure skating to be somewhat boring. I wasn't as invested in any of the routines.

This year the pairs & dancing gained my interest again due to the couples like Virtue & Moir.

I remember watching all the routines in Lillehammer (Gordeeva & Grinkov!) & just loving them... it seemed the routines were more passionate & dramatic. I don't even remember who the Americans were, but I was rooting for Gordeeva & Grinkov then. I also loved Katarina Witt. And there was a Russian dancing pair I remember & the girl had this beautiful flame-red hair - their routines were so passionate & beautiful.

In Vancouver, I do remember the Canadian pair - Jamie Sale & her partner (can't remember his name) & really liking them.

Oh, & remember the Canadian pair from years ago - His name was Lloyd & I can't remember her name, but I loved them too.

For me, I need some drama & passion to go w/ my figure skating. LOL! That's why the Shib Sibs just don't really interest me. They're very talented, & I wish them well. I'm just more interested in the other couples.

This time around in the pairs, I loved the French couple who skated to Disturbed's "Sound of Silence".

So, you are a fan of the 'waist up' skating. I suggest going to the ballet?

I tried watching the Olympics one night and got turned off by NBC's identity politics crap. I tried watching skating another night and got turned off by Tara's yaping. She won the Oympics on a fluke at age 15 and then never competed again....and there are no words to describe Johnny....what's with the hair. I used to compete in figure skating as a kid and teen, but I'm lost with the new scoring. I think this is worst coverage I've ever seen of any Olympic games. Whats weird is how empty the stands are. Big loss for S. Korea.

I agree with some of this - Lipinski and Weir are horrible commentators. Both are very under-educated, ignorant, entitled oddities. Lipinski is 35 years old, and has had so many injections that she looks inflated, plastic. It's sad. Weir is just self-centered and obnoxious. I turned off the women's short program because they were inane and clueless. They couldn't even call half of the jumps. Not impressed. I miss Dick Button.

I used to get annoyed by Tara and Johnny Weir, but now I like them and they make me laugh. I much prefer their honest critique versus fluff. Heck, I am way more critical of the skaters' performances than they are. Yes, Tara won by having her performance of a lifetime and was smart to just retire knowing she would probably never duplicate her gold medal win. However, she also was suffering from many injuries that required surgery after her retirement.

I miss listening to Dick Button and Peggy Fleming commentate. Dick could often be very critical, but I loved him for it. If he didn't like a spin position, he would say it - "That's a very unattractive position", "That camel spin was almost somewhat acceptable." He was great!

Tara wouldn't have made it out of nationals if she was skating now - her under-rotated jumps (by at least half a rotation sometimes) and her low to the ground roller skating technique (which gave her the injuries) shouldn't have been given the value they were even back then. She got lucky, by one judge, I think?

I too, miss Dick Button. Not Peggy Fleming. I met her once and she was less than gracious. Actually, she was nasty. Scott Hamilton is awesome, Sarah Hughes is a sweetheart, but Peggy Fleming? Nope. Kurt Browning? Adorable and sweet. Sasha Cohen? Obnoxious. The stories I could tell about her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter