• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whats the most expensive prescription medicine you have gotten?

Lovenox shots. It was awhile ago, but I know I paid 150.00 for a box of 10? 20? injections. Without insurance, they said it would have cost me 800.00.
Now, I would have to pay at least 500.00. The new thing on our insurance is prescription deductibles. First time I have heard of that. We have to pay 500.00 for all prescriptions before insurance will kick in.

Lovenox shots. It was awhile ago, but I know I paid 150.00 for a box of 10? 20? injections. Without insurance, they said it would have cost me 800.00.
Now, I would have to pay at least 500.00. The new thing on our insurance is prescription deductibles. First time I have heard of that. We have to pay 500.00 for all prescriptions before insurance will kick in.

Lovenox cost me $15 for 3 boxes for my husband about a year ago. I think the price would have been @$2000. It came mail order from our insurance mandated supplier so I never got a true cost. I still have it all as he had a stroke in the hospital from a blood clot after surgery.

Zombie thread from 11 years ago....

But if we're answering, I don't even know what my meds cost, but it's something like $5-$7k/month. Thank heavens for good insurance and a deductible assistance program from drug manufacturers.

First, I don't mind that this is a zombie thread and don't for the life of me understand why people feel the need to point it out every. single. time.

Second, my father is on about 12 different medications now that he is recovering from a stroke. It has brought to light, for me at least, the legal robbery that takes place by pharmaceutical companies. He is on Medicare and has a supplemental which helps tremendously but that said his one medication was costing $398 per month with the insurance!!! After reviewing his policy and cross checking his medications with the tiered list that Medicare provides I found that the capsule form which he was on was considered a tier 4 which has a cost share vs. the tablet form of the medication which is a tier 2 and this month's supply cost $2.30 :confused3.

We also came across a site goodrx.com where you can look up your prescriptions and get a coupon that is sent electronically to your pharmacy and is also texted to you. It doesn't always save you money but is well worth the 30 seconds it takes to check it out. Even if it is a few dollars it is worth the time.

First, I don't mind that this is a zombie thread and don't for the life of me understand why people feel the need to point it out every. single. time.

Second, my father is on about 12 different medications now that he is recovering from a stroke. It has brought to light, for me at least, the legal robbery that takes place by pharmaceutical companies. He is on Medicare and has a supplemental which helps tremendously but that said his one medication was costing $398 per month with the insurance!!! After reviewing his policy and cross checking his medications with the tiered list that Medicare provides I found that the capsule form which he was on was considered a tier 4 which has a cost share vs. the tablet form of the medication which is a tier 2 and this month's supply cost $2.30 :confused3.

We also came across a site goodrx.com where you can look up your prescriptions and get a coupon that is sent electronically to your pharmacy and is also texted to you. It doesn't always save you money but is well worth the 30 seconds it takes to check it out. Even if it is a few dollars it is worth the time.

Totally agree. 9.9 times out of 10 the zombie thread crier didn’t participate in the thread the first time around so it’s a new thread for them. Who cares if we restart a conversation? Meds are still expensive.

I don’t take it anymore, but my most expensive daily med was $2600 a month. I loved getting air miles for that one lol

Last year and this year I did a special MS treatment that was 5 days at a time. One small IV bag for 5 days. Total cost? $86000. OOP cost..$0.

I actually think it's pertinent for a thread about the cost of something like prescription meds.

It has brought to light, for me at least, the legal robbery that takes place by pharmaceutical companies.
Is it really?

The pharmaceutical companies spend 100’s of millions, sometimes billions reasearching and creating new life saving drugs.

If they don’t charge enough to recoup those expenses, who will pour the money into R&D?

Is it really?

The pharmaceutical companies spend 100’s of millions, sometimes billions reasearching and creating new life saving drugs.

If they don’t charge enough to recoup those expenses, who will pour the money into R&D?

Yep, absolutely. I have no doubt they make a handsome profit on drugs, especially while they have a patent. At the same time, I know they spend an incredible amount of money on research and development. If it weren't for the meds I use, I don't even want to consider what could be.

Is it really?

Why does a capsule cost us $398 a month vs a tablet that does the same cost $2.30? Maybe if less was spent on paying celebrities to endorse certain medications and do TV, print and radio ads the overhead for these medications would be less not to mention that at the end of a lot of these ads there is a little blurb about help paying for your prescriptions. Is this so people choose their drug because they get assistance from the pharmaceutical company and oh yea, Phil Mickelson takes it so it must work???

Let's not forget about how there is always some walk, run, tournament, mail in donation, phone blitz, do you want to round up to the nearest dollar to support our organization where our CEO has a six figure salary.

Not at all, I just don't understand the superiority complex of those who feel the need to call someone out for reviving a thread that is relevant to so many others in these forums. Maybe you are the touchy one???

Actually, the thread was revived by a spam bot not a board member, but you may not have seen that post, as it's been deleted.

Yes, I feel I am superior to a spam bot. ;) Just sayin'

I actually think it's pertinent for a thread about the cost of something like prescription meds.
I wholeheartedly agree. This is a topic that has come up quite frequently with my family lately. The cost of my dad's medications is astronomical and thankfully they are able to afford his meds but how sustainable is that monthly payment especially when every year the cost of the insurance and medications etc, rise. I don't watch much television but when I do between the commercials for health care facilities, medications, and medical lawsuits dominate the commercial breaks. Why is that? It's big business, it is what is relevant.

Cancer sucks..... I edited the nonsense in between...... @@ I hit my deductible with this one and don't pay for the rest of the year now but the whole thing is ridiculous. It's given in the infusion center so it's billed at some ridiculous amount because of that.

Service Date and Type Amount Billed What I owe
06/21/2018 •
PHARMACEUTICALS $10,427.19 $2,138.40

Last year at this time I was really sick and had to take several rounds of antibiotics. The last round was over $4000, or about $250 per pill. Twice a day. Thank goodness for insurance, even if it does cost us $1500 a month.

Why does a capsule cost us $398 a month vs a tablet that does the same cost $2.30? Maybe if less was spent on paying celebrities to endorse certain medications and do TV, print and radio ads the overhead for these medications would be less not to mention that at the end of a lot of these ads there is a little blurb about help paying for your prescriptions. Is this so people choose their drug because they get assistance from the pharmaceutical company and oh yea, Phil Mickelson takes it so it must work???

Let's not forget about how there is always some walk, run, tournament, mail in donation, phone blitz, do you want to round up to the nearest dollar to support our organization where our CEO has a six figure salary.
All industries advertise and spend lots doing it. The car industry loves to hire sports figures and hollywood stars. Where is the outrage for the other industries?

There is a tremendous amount of money spent on R&D.

It takes 12 years for the average drug to make it to market at a cost of 1.5 billion dollars.

The outrage should be directed at countries that prohibit pharmaceutical companies from charging a price that allows them to recoup R&D costs. Those countries force the US consumer to bear the brunt of the R&D costs.

I have Consentx injections monthly. I think the cost is about $4,000. My co-pay is $100. I've switched jobs and have new insurance and Cosenty isn't one of the approved drugs on the list. My doctor and I will figure out a way but it just sucks that what works for me might not be covered any more. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter