Whats the most expensive prescription medicine you have gotten?

Not mine, but when my brother was going through chemo he needed shots of Human Growth Hormone. The shots were around $2500 each, and he needed them either 2 or 3x per day. Insurance did cover them, but my mom dropped and broke one, and insurance wouldn't cover a replacement!

The insurance companies definitely don’t give you a break. I once had picked up a prescription- literally JUST picked it up- sat down with a glass of seltzer and proceeded to pour some medicine into my hand.

The whole entire jar of pills whooshed out of the jar when I tilted it over to pour, and worse- ended up spilling right into my full glass of seltzer which began to dissolve the pills.

When I called the pharmacy, they informed me that they could replace the medicine but that my insurance would not cover it. It was several hundred dollars worth.

They gave me a suggestion, and it worked. My doctor was able to send in a second prescription for a different dosage and the insurance covered it. I had to take 2 pills instead of 1 or something like that. You’d think the insurance company would have just replaced the original script, since they actually did end up giving me the same medicine.

Back in 2004 when I was getting chemo, I went to the pharmacy one day and picked up a shopping bag full of 16 injections of Neulasta that were $2000 each, for a total of $32,000 worth of injections.

Back then, I had a $20 copay, and that was it.

I guess I was a little distracted when I got home and I stuck them in a dresser drawer.

A couple of weeks later when I went to give myself the first one, I freaked out a little when I noticed, for the first time, a warning to "Refrigerate" on the label. :earseek: (I wound up with little choice but to take them anyway, and they were fine.)

Neulasta costs a lot more today - a quick search around:

• One 6 mg Neulasta injection will cost between $5,000 to $7000, depending on the supplier.
  • (For 16, the cost today would be between $80,000 and $112,000!)
Holy moly- you’d think the pharmacist would let you know to put them in the fridge!

Not mine, but when my brother was going through chemo he needed shots of Human Growth Hormone. The shots were around $2500 each, and he needed them either 2 or 3x per day. Insurance did cover them, but my mom dropped and broke one, and insurance wouldn't cover a replacement!

This is what I have to take, for the rest of my life once daily. It could shorten my life if I don't take it daily. Part of the reason why it is so expensive is because of the athletes taking it illegally.

Wow - reading some of these posts has been eye opening as to what some things cost.

My most expensive prescription is my Breo inhaler. The OOP cost is $422/month, but I just pay a $10 co-pay for it.

Wow - reading some of these posts has been eye opening as to what some things cost.

My most expensive prescription is my Breo inhaler. The OOP cost is $422/month, but I just pay a $10 co-pay for it.
:eek: I was thinking the exact same thing. We're lucky not to be on many meds and the few we do take (amongst the 3 of us) are all available in generics and covered by insurance at a 20% co-pay. I've recently started a course of Champix (I think it's called Chantix in the US) and it seems expensive at $130/month but my portion is $26 for the generic. (Since it sometimes comes up - public health care in Canada does NOT cover prescription meds in most provinces. Drugs are 100% OOP if not covered by a private insurance plan.)

I agree that their methods are not the greatest but price controls in European countries have forced their hands. They need to recoup the R&D costs and are prohibited from doing that in most countries outside the US. Those countries get to reap the benefits of the drug while the US consumer pays more.
While that may be part of it, it's far from the whole story. Pharma reps push the most expensive drugs. Doctors who don't keep up on drugs(which is almost impossible these days) fall for the line and order the new drug, when an older drug could resolve the problem. Then they are forced to play the "use this pharmacy, call for preauthorization, file a ton of paperwork" game. And ultimately even the coinsurance is to expensive for the patient.
Negotiating prices on Medicare drugs would make a world of difference for a large part of the population. Amazing how Medicare fee schedules are the "norm" for reimbursement costs paid by health insurance companies, but drug prices have carte blanche to charge that they want.

R&D on a drug that no one can afford doesn't make a lot of sense.

DH was put on a med earlier this year that was so expensive an knew insurance would not cover the expense that the DR got DH a grant for the med..at 1st it really seemed to be helping DH but it soon turned on him...totally killed off his immune system, made him very low on blood NO IDEA where he blood went etc an DH spent a week in hospital. The med was discontinued, DH got blood platelets etc came home very weak still has NO ENRGY and has been told for what his body has been thru this is prolly as good as it gets.

We have been lucky with most meds an insurance covering all but 15.00 for name brand 5.00 for genrics.

There was a time that DH's insurance decided they was no longer going to pay for 1 of DH's meds an gave him a list of alternative meds they would cover. NONE of which worked and DH spent most of the next 9 months on the toilet.

I saw OP's name, shep, and was excited to see him back. Then I realized the thread was 11 years old. :( Hope shep and believe are doing well.

Marie had the same injections, VERY expensive. Thank goodness for insurance. I think I recall they would have been like 50% more and a daily trip to the doctor if she did not want to do them herself. I think there were like 1 daily injections for 5 days, 2 days after each chemo session. She had 8 sessions over 4 months, so 40 injections.
Back in 2004 when I was getting chemo, I went to the pharmacy one day and picked up a shopping bag full of 16 injections of Neulasta that were $2000 each, for a total of $32,000 worth of injections.

Back then, I had a $20 copay, and that was it.

I guess I was a little distracted when I got home and I stuck them in a dresser drawer.

A couple of weeks later when I went to give myself the first one, I freaked out a little when I noticed, for the first time, a warning to "Refrigerate" on the label. :earseek: (I wound up with little choice but to take them anyway, and they were fine.)

Neulasta costs a lot more today - a quick search around:

• One 6 mg Neulasta injection will cost between $5,000 to $7000, depending on the supplier.
  • (For 16, the cost today would be between $80,000 and $112,000!)

Diabetic DH has had insurance change the formulary on him quite a few times. All the big name brands have been hit over the last few years. His current 'allowed' drug, Farxiga, went from $380 a month to $460, that was our OOP cost. So when planning a cruise to the Carribean this year he was searching for a solution. Thank god for the pharmacy in St. Maarten. He got in touch with them a few months in advance and they said that once he appeared in person with his original US scrip he could purchase a few months in person and then begin monthly mail order. His doctor's office willingly wrote him an Rx for one year's worth in 90 day increments, knowing that his plan was to get the drug offshore. Our cost now? $90 a month. Same *exact* medication, proven by a cousin who is a pharmacist and the content sheet. Forxiga instead of Farxiga, and the box is printed in Dutch instead of English.

On another note, kickbacks are real. Nothing new here. Don't even get me started on how it works......

:eek: I was thinking the exact same thing. We're lucky not to be on many meds and the few we do take (amongst the 3 of us) are all available in generics and covered by insurance at a 20% co-pay. I've recently started a course of Champix (I think it's called Chantix in the US) and it seems expensive at $130/month but my portion is $26 for the generic. (Since it sometimes comes up - public health care in Canada does NOT cover prescription meds in most provinces. Drugs are 100% OOP if not covered by a private insurance plan.)

Are you trying to quit smoking? If you are, you can do it!! I am rooting for you

:yay: :yay:

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

My Pradaxa.
$2300 for 30 days.
After insurance, $700 for a month.
Needless to say, I hit my deductible very quickly, then luckily it is no cost to me.

Are you trying to quit smoking? If you are, you can do it!! I am rooting for you

:yay: :yay:

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
Yep - making an attempt. It's hard - so very hard, especially when emotionally, I don't really want to quit. What I do want, intellectually, is to avoid the negative consequences of smoking, heath-wise, financially and socially. I do believe I'll be one of those people that misses it forever. I quit for almost 4 years a while back and never had a day where I didn't miss it. Thanks for your support though. I'm 6 days in and between the meds and the lack of dopamine hyper-stimulation, I'm in a mood. :sad1:

Yep - making an attempt. It's hard - so very hard, especially when emotionally, I don't really want to quit. What I do want, intellectually, is to avoid the negative consequences of smoking, heath-wise, financially and socially. I do believe I'll be one of those people that misses it forever. I quit for almost 4 years a while back and never had a day where I didn't miss it. Thanks for your support though. I'm 6 days in and between the meds and the lack of dopamine hyper-stimulation, I'm in a mood. :sad1:

You can do it! My mom quit for 10 years... then her babies moving across the country had her back to smoking but after a couple years she quit again and has been smoke free for like 6 years now. It's so nice for her and for us and she knows how much healthier it is for my nephew. It is possible even if you miss it forever.

Oh and my most expensive prescription wasn't a drug per se but my IUD. I believe it was $320 and my insurance at the time didn't cover it. I did claim it back on my taxes though. Different insurance now so I hope my next one is covered...

The most was some eyedrops with steriods after cataract surgery, such a total ripoff, the price was like $600 if the government was paying but if you could show you did not have medicare the price went down to like $100.

Nobody takes original insulin. Patients have demanded versions that allow them to better control their disease. Patients have demanded new delivery techniques. The R&D costs of those new versions and new delivery techniques have rightfully been passed on to the consumer, who MAY DIE without it. Again European and other North American countries have legislated away the true cost for their citizens and Americans are left to bear the burden.
Yes the current insulin is more refined and delivery methods have changed, but are not radically different chemical compound. All the major research was done by Banting a his team. No because our government health plan are single payer. That means if you want your drug available the health plan, the companies have LESS negotiating power on price. We have a lot more generic options here as well. Drug companies aren't allowed to spend millions on advertising, and promotion of their drugs here either. Any drug ad we see here are on American channels and print media. Some provinces DO cover drugs or a portion of them. in BC we have Fair Pharmacare.

Not for me but my Mother in law had a prescription that was about 5000 for one pill. Luckily they could manage it, but most people would have just died. Also luckily the pill did not work for most people so they would send them theirs from the trial.
£6.65 ($13)

All medicines cost the same in the UK.

Its sad that so many Americans are against decent healthcare. I envy you.

Yes the current insulin is more refined and delivery methods have changed, but are not radically different chemical compound.
It doesn’t matter how minor or major the change the development and approval process is the same and extremely expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter