• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whats the most expensive prescription medicine you have gotten?

I administer Procrit injections for the anemia from my kidney failure. I pay nothing for it, but it's $620 for a one dose bottle and I take the shot every 5 days. I've been taking it for about 5 years.

I don't know how much my dialysis supplies cost. I can't imagine they are cheap either. Right now I'm on 22 different prescription drugs. It stinks, but they keep me alive.

My son's growth hormone. He takes a really low dose, and a one month supply is over $800.

My dd is on growth hormone, genotropin, as well. We get a 3-4ish month supply and it runs about 10,000 I think, could be 8,000.... I forgot how much it is. I did ask once.:scared1:

We pay 40.00.

I just picked up a monthly prescription of prilosec. On the corner of the pharmacy slip it said "your insurance saved you $449." I pay a $24 copay, so I guess prilosec is $473 per month's supply. I couldn't figure out if that meant that my insurance actually pays $449 a month, or just that if I didn't have insurance I would have to pay that much more.

The strange part is that the save pills are available OTC in half the strength. So a month's supply at the prescription dosage (2 OTC pills a day) is like $40. Are they actually getting insurance companies to pay hundreds of dollars a month for what could cost $40 OTC? :confused3

My husband's clotting factor is $4000 per dose.

my prevacid, I take 2x 30mg daily which when I lost my insurance for a short time was running me about $800 a month. This is not including several other meds that each shot were approx $200 a peice.

I got my insurance back!:thumbsup2

my ds growth hormone shots for a month, and we pay 50.00.
Kim

sorry i forgot the amount it is 4,000 and we pay 50.00
Kim

The bill on mine was $1680...I paid $50..
btw--did it work?
I have fluid on my knee and hope it works..

Enbrel for fluid on the knee? Or do you have inflammatory/autoimmune arthritis? It works well for my psoriatic arthritis.

I administer Procrit injections for the anemia from my kidney failure. I pay nothing for it, but it's $620 for a one dose bottle and I take the shot every 5 days. I've been taking it for about 5 years.

I don't know how much my dialysis supplies cost. I can't imagine they are cheap either. Right now I'm on 22 different prescription drugs. It stinks, but they keep me alive.

My mom was on dialysis. I know how hard it is.

Without insurance my advair script (500/50) would be around 300 a month. I pay 35.00 co-pay.

When I had to take Brethine for my pre-term labor we almost had to pay out of pocket. There was an issue when th edoctor upped the dose, and insurance said it was too soon for me to be getting a refill. Well, just four pills (what I needed to get through the night so the pharmacy could call my insurance company) should have cost over $100. My DH freaked, because we did not have the money. The pharmasist filled the whole script, and gave him four pills to take home. It may have been "wrong" for him to do so, but I needed them that badly.

That is the price prior to it being submitted to your insurance?
How much have you had to pay?

I was just curious after receiving enbril today....:scared1:

My daughters EACH had 3 shots that were THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS per shot.... I think we paid $300 for all 6 shots.

Zofran. Anti-nausea pill that is used for extreme morning sickness and for chemo patients. 10 pills for $25. 10 pills = 3.5 days. That was my co-pay, but the insurance company was billed about $25 per pill. I refilled that prescription for about 7 months. :eek:

Brandie

My dad was on that after his stroke - still has nausea problems but isn't taking that particular drug any more. He is retired, on medicare and has no prescription drug coverage. To have the prescription filled for an entire month (90 pills) was going to be $1600.
I couldn't afford that all at once so the pharmacy let me get 3 day and 4 day supply at a time. The kicker to that is when you buy the smaller quantities, the price per pill goes up. I was paying about $160 for 6 pills.

Bupropion, and since I don't currently have insurance, it's $185 out of pocket per month. Grrrrr.

Bupropion, and since I don't currently have insurance, it's $185 out of pocket per month. Grrrrr.

That seems really high. My DH takes that and the generic is not bad. I would look around if I were you.

Well, my sister is having chemo and there is this shot she is given once in awhile to bring up her platelettes that costs $5000 per shot!! HOw insane is that? Thankfully (or not, given the circumstances) she has met her out of pocket max so she doesnt' pay anything.

I have MS and take an injectable med every day. The pre insurance price is $1700. Thankfully, a specialty pharmacy is able to supply me three months worth at time for $100 per refill.

My husband takes several medications on an ongoing basis for a chronic condition. Monthly they run about $6,000. My insurance covers all of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter