Useless Facts/Chit Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be from the north. Sweet tea is a staple in the south. I am not including Florida, where I live, because native Floriidans like me are few and far between!;) When I lived in AL, if you asked for unsweet tea, they looked at you like you came from Mars.

However, I do feel your pain with the sweet popcorn...

Do they put the sugar in before or after they brew it???

Our Boston TEA PARTY Fathers must be rolling in thier graves......The thought of sweet tea gives me goose bumps.....:eek:

just for the record, where is Colson? We looked for him July 4th weekend, and now he's MIA.

I saw someone at the Fort that looked like him, but he had on Gators Crocs, and I know he's a frustrated Miami fan. Hope he's ok.

I miss him tooo.........I wonder if he misses me....;)

Do they put the sugar in before or after they brew it???

Our Boston TEA PARTY Fathers must be rolling in thier graves......The thought of sweet tea gives me goose bumps.....:eek:

``````

sugar is added while the tea is still hot!!! I'm rolling on that one...

How ya'll feel about GRITS??? I like them with cheese and garlic myself!!!:banana:

Up here in Michissippi........we call Grits......the sand and junk that gets caught in our fishing reals over time...............;)

Here's what I don't get. I go to a restaurant in the south and ask for a diet coke. The waitress asks me what kind. Hmm... I must have looked confused becuse then she says they have coke, sprite, orange, and diet coke. I thought diet coke was diet coke. This happened at more than one place. Confuses me, that's all. What can I say... I'm easily confused.:confused3

Here's what I don't get. I go to a restaurant in the south and ask for a diet coke. The waitress asks me what kind. Hmm... I must have looked confused becuse then she says they have coke, sprite, orange, and diet coke. I thought diet coke was diet coke. This happened at more than one place. Confuses me, that's all. What can I say... I'm easily confused.:confused3
Yeah, what's up with that?!:confused3

And a question for the true southerners, what makes sweet tea, sweet tea?
Is it any different then the iced tea with sugar you get up north? Is it just the way we phrase it?:confused3
I've always pondered this and wanted to know. (I need help!:lmao: )

Yeah, what's up with that?!:confused3

And a question for the true southerners, what makes sweet tea, sweet tea?
Is it any different then the iced tea with sugar you get up north? Is it just the way we phrase it?:confused3
I've always pondered this and wanted to know. (I need help!:lmao: )

I think I can help the northerners out. I have to explain this to the snowbirds once in a while too, so you are not alone!;)

Sweet tea is different than ice tea you get from up north because they put the sugar in while it is still steaming so to saturate the tea with sugar. Growing up in South Florida, I really never understood this concept until I lived in AL for 9 years. I first called it syrup tea, but you get used to it!

In the south, if you ask for a coke, it is like asking for a generic brand of what you people call pop or soda. It would be just like asking for Scotch tape, when Scotch tape is really a brand name of 3M, but is not the only manufacturer of cellophane adhesive tape. That is why someone would ask you what kind of coke you want.

I hope this helps all of you confused folk...

Up here in Michissippi........we call Grits......the sand and junk that gets caught in our fishing reals over time...............;)

Doesn't that make many trips to the dentist necessary from all the chipped teeth? Man, that has to be expensive...:rotfl2:
(It's ok, we knew you were from Michigan a long time ago....;))

I've never had that problem with the soda. My favorite however, is when I order a DIET COKE and they say, is Diet Pepsi ok, I tell them no. The look is usually priceless.

I think I can help the northerners out. I have to explain this to the snowbirds once in a while too, so you are not alone!;)

Sweet tea is different than ice tea you get from up north because they put the sugar in while it is still steaming so to saturate the tea with sugar. Growing up in South Florida, I really never understood this concept until I lived in AL for 9 years. I first called it syrup tea, but you get used to it!

In the south, if you ask for a coke, it is like asking for a generic brand of what you people call pop or soda. It would be just like asking for Scotch tape, when Scotch tape is really a brand name of 3M, but is not the only manufacturer of cellophane adhesive tape. That is why someone would ask you what kind of coke you want.

I hope this helps all of you confused folk...

No wonder the South lost the war.

Hey, I have a random food question, can someone tell me about Cici's pizza buffet? I see the commercials for it on cable all the time, and the nearest one is like 800 miles from me?

I almost hope it is bad so I can stop feeling like I'm missing out.

It is great if you enjoy eating cardboard!!! Went there once and that was one time too many!!

Now I'ved lived in the south all my life and have NEVER ordered a coke unless I meant COKE....I usually ask the wait staff which products they carry ,coke or Pepsi and then decide from there...sweet tea.....usually down here its so sweet many people who aren't used to it that sweet order it half n half...half sweet...half unsweetened...makes it just about right....soda's have as much sugar in them as sweet tea does but don't have the carbonation and additives that cut the sweet a bit....

I rather be forced to sit with Roise Odonald and listen to her bable then drink sweet tea.....

Did ya know that The South would have won the war had there been TV in those days.......President Lincoln would have starred in Planet of the APES....do to his looks...:eek:

I say cara mel.... put jimmies on my icecream...

and eat Taylor ham for breakfast.

Wow, finally someone who knows what Jimmie's are. I've used that term all my life and people look at me like I have two heads when I ask for Jimmie's. I grew up in a small town (Damascus, MD) and we had an outdoor Mom and Pop place called Jimmie Cone. Needless to say, they called the sprinkles on the ice cream, Jimmie's. I used to go there at lunch break from school and get a Cheese Dog and a small cone with Jimmies. Boy those were the days.

Taylor's ham - haven't heard that one in years. Do they still make it? My Dad use to eat it all the time.

Love these "nonsense threads"!!:banana: :banana: Great way to just chit chat!!

The John Taylor provisions company in Trenton, NJ is still cranking out Taylor Ham. The best part, is that Publix in Fl has it.
300px-Porkrollfrying2.jpg

I always say jimmys just to throw off the ice cream people.... kinda like asking for the one pound prime rib at outback, the menu says 16 oz, sometimes you get a quizzical look

Which Publix has this? I admit I haven't looked for them before, being a "We lost the Civil War" person. But I am willing to try it!

It should be anyone, according to wikipedia. I went to the Publix's, Publices, not sure of the plural of Publix in Wesley chapel when I got mine.

Just for the record, the Mason Dixon line crosses thru NJ.......... Although i'm from the northern half of it in a little town called Metuchen.

It should be anyone, according to wikipedia. I went to the Publix's, Publices, not sure of the plural of Publix in Wesley chapel when I got mine.

Just for the record, the Mason Dixon line crosses thru NJ.......... Although i'm from the northern half of it in a little town called Metuchen.

Gatordad if you have to sneeze you're gonna post it aren't ya. You will do anything to get this thread to 2,000. Good luck. Maybe I'll start a golf cart or animal kicking question and have our freedom of speech taken away. Just kidding lol. Hey maybe better yet a I'm booking 3 sites the week of xmas and not using any of them. Just doing it to get 30 EMH passes.:rotfl2:

The picture looks delicious, please tell me what makes Taylor ham better than regular ham. I'm making my list for wegoshop and I'm thinking maybe I should order some.

(We have a cabin during free dining, but DH is insistent that we have a kitchen and a grill, and darn it, we need to use them. So he will be cooking breakfast.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter