ToTW lounge access ending?

WOW

Thanks for the link..I haven't checked out TOTW yet..Guess i'll go kiss it good bye

When we are at BLT we always make a stop or two at TotW and it is always under utilized, which was fine for me. I dont bother if we are staying at another resort.

On the flip side, I am always looking for something new to do. For $70 for dinner and guessing extra for drinks, this will be on my list. Doing Highway in the Sky for a second time In two weeks and then will be done. Thinking of booking the MK Behind the Scenes food tour if availabe in September and will add this if dates extended. Ill try to book BLT or monorail for both.

That link doesn't seem like they are ending access to members. Just another add on dining and reserved fireworks viewing thing.

How will they handle the reserved viewing? Will people who pay up have access to the TOWL and 1/2 of the viewing area and the other half no access to the TOWL and the other half of the top floor? I guess we will find out on January 14th....

While I could be entirely wrong, it just doesn't seem to benefit Disney to completely remove access to the lounge unless people pay for it. Even if it is taking a loss, it is used as an incentive to buy into DVC, as only members have access to a special rooftop. Remove that, or make it harder to access, and you are removing a selling point right when they are going to try to sell Riviera, which seems to have not tons of enthusiasm compared to other DVC resorts.
On the flip side, they will be opening rooftop dining at Riviera, so maybe they think that special view will be enough to sell points.
Personally, I think they will just reserve a table or two at the lounge and a 10x10 ft area on the viewing deck for those who pay for the package. Just enough to irritate others without officially taking anything away from them.

We have certainly enjoyed any little spiffs we have received over the years, at time of purchase people are told what is current and that they are not guaranteed and others have ended. The EPCOT lounge was at first a trial and then extended for the full year and then extended into the next year, never a permanent benefit. Park Passes, discount tickets, restaurant and merchandise discounts, tours, parties, welcome Wednesdays, and so many others have come and gone, does not seem to make DVC evil in my mind. We have enjoyed TOW a few times by having a drink and waiting for the fireworks or a very late night snack at the end of the day when staying at BLT, if it went away it would not be the end of our world.

I don't understand the "screw job" on point allocation comment, the resort points can not increase only move around the various categories, times and areas. That normally takes into account highest utilizes and lowest in order to try and even things out a bit. We all have our pet peeves, mine is walking and DW's is lack of more options along Boardwalk late night, here some seem upset DVC does not permanently retain spiffs. If I had my choice to permanently retain a single benefit from over the years it would be the free (or even deeply discounted) park passes.

I do not own at BLT and am not clear on TOWL's status but I believe it is likely a "Commercial Unit" in the BLT DVC condominium. Commercial Units are more or less their own animal within a DVC resort. The owner of the unit can rent it out for commercial purposes (store, restaurant, TOWL, other). That owner, whom I suspect is currently DVD, not the association, is responsible, along with whomever it rents to, for all maintenance and repair of the commercial units and costs associated with their internal operation such as utility costs. The member dues do not go towards maintenance of commercial units themselves but do pay for maintenance of limited common elements that service the unit, such as walkways leading into it.The Commercial Units contribute to dues but a very small sum -- a Commercial Unit is deemed to own only .00000001% of the common elements and contributes to the dues for all common expenses of the resort on that share basis.

The owner of that commercial unit could at any time decide to make using TOWL a paying activity for members (and others) rather than a free one for members.

I'm 90% certain that TOTWL itself did end up declared into the BLT association. At the time there seemed to be a lot of discussion about it but that is what DVD ultimately decided to do. That made it different from the handling of another similar space at BWV.

The wave is not large enough to host enough diners, even if they took the whole restaurant, to fill TOTWL. At $59, that is not much more than a typical meal for me at the wave. I wonder what is on the price fix menu?

I would guess that they would restrict a section for the paying DVC package guests. It is a fairly large area though. If I was a paying package guest, I would want better viewing for kids, that wall is high.

My preference would be NO kids in that lounge, it is a bar after all, kids there are usually very bored. Thankfully most just play on their phones or game systems.

I don't understand the "screw job" on point allocation comment, the resort points can not increase only move around the various categories, times and areas. That normally takes into account highest utilizes and lowest in order to try and even things out a bit. We all have our pet peeves, mine is walking and DW's is lack of more options along Boardwalk late night, here some seem upset DVC does not permanently retain spiffs. If I had my choice to permanently retain a single benefit from over the years it would be the free (or even deeply discounted) park passes.
You're absolutely correct about perks coming and going away, from discounted (initially free) park passes to valet parking. The ones that affect you are more annoying than the ones that don't. I never valet parked my vehicle since walking doesn't bother me, and since we drive to most of the parks, DS, et.al., it seemed illogical to tip someone 2-4 times a day just to park my car. Others, however, thought it was a great perk and were truly angered. I get it. I respectfully disagree with the implication that DVC owners shouldn't be bothered by the point reallocation, however. Yes, DVC owners are (or should be aware) that reallocations occur routinely. The issue many of us have for 2020 is the way the points were reallocated. For example, at VWL (some call it BRV now; I don't ;)) and Copper Creek for every day of every season except two, the points went up in the studio and 1BR categories, and those two exceptions merely stayed the same. For Premier season, in fact, if you want to stay in a 1BR for a week during that season, you have to pony up an extra 33 points--an average of almost 5 points a day. That's a significant increase, especially for those who bought years ago with enough points to just cover a week during that time. The other holiday weeks from November through January also went up significantly--that's not an accident. Meanwhile, to offset those point increases, the reallocation was primarily directed toward 2BRs during Dream and Magic seasons. Most who buy into DVC aren't looking to rent 2BRs given their exorbitant point costs. Thus, the brunt of the point reallocation disproportionately affects DVC members who don't own a ton of points. We don't typically travel during the Premier season, and we own enough points to suck up the extra point costs during the other seasons; however, I fully understand the ire of those who have suddenly been "priced" out of their typical travel time. For them, for all of us, those recent reallocations are a stinging reminder that DVD's decisions are calculated in their best interests.

That link doesn't seem like they are ending access to members. Just another add on dining and reserved fireworks viewing thing.

Correct. However, DVC has not yet provided any explicit confirmation that free lounge access will remain in 2019. Member website still says 2018. Member Services says 2018. DVC PR would not confirm otherwise. Even their Facebook posts provide conflicting information.

If nothing else, the addition of a paid dining/dessert option means a portion of the lounge will be roped off and unavailable to owners not participating in the dining plan.

Anyone who feels strongly about this should send feedback to DVC. It does not appear to be settled yet. Stay tuned.

Not sure how valid this is but I jst asked thru the chat on the member site if this rumor (that we, direct and resale members would lose use of ) was true and was told they
knew nothing about it.

Is this an add-on or you now have to book it to be able to go? We've been when stayed at BLT and it was nice but no way would I pay extra to go.

Is this an add-on or you now have to book it to be able to go? We've been when stayed at BLT and it was nice but no way would I pay extra to go.

Nobody knows. MS is staying silent on the matter. I have a trip starting on the 2nd of January and I'm as much irritated by their lack of communication as I am about the idea that I may not be able to head up.

Last edited:
We were planning to go to TOTWL in January anyway so booked this event since the cost is about what we’d spend on dinner & drinks. And I’m also realizing this makes it possible to enjoy TOTWL when staying offsite same as when onsite, which I like because we stay offsite fairly frequently.

This is disappointing to hear although i guess one of those perks that can disappear at any time. I am glad that we took a few minutes to go up there during our last trip. It is a nice area to relax and enjoy, but I don't see it nice enough to eat at the Wave (been there and nothing extraordinary) to gain access. I would much rather pay for the California Grill with a much better culinary experience and get the same view.

Whats next - they are going to rope off the beach at the Poly to charge for viewing their?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter