This is us..

Oh and on the death theory maybe he died in his sleep, after that big fight. I don't get how she could have let him walk out after his little speech. It was touching.

I don't know. A touching speech doesn't fix the issues and while Rebecca was the one to bring up him staying with Miguel for a few days, the whole time she was talking Jack was nodding his head in agreement. I don't think either of them are in denial that there are real issues that have to be worked on and I didn't feel like Jack was resisting leaving, he seemed to basically be in agreement that they both had feelings towards each other that were pretty negative etc.

I don't know. A touching speech doesn't fix the issues and while Rebecca was the one to bring up him staying with Miguel for a few days, the whole time she was talking Jack was nodding his head in agreement. I don't think either of them are in denial that there are real issues that have to be worked on and I didn't feel like Jack was resisting leaving, he seemed to basically be in agreement that they both had feelings towards each other that were pretty negative etc.
And some of the things that were said had to have stung even more in the light of day. Jack in particular struck a really low blow. I think his agreeing to go was in part his guilt over that.

And some of the things that were said had to have stung even more in the light of day. Jack in particular struck a really low blow. I think his agreeing to go was in part his guilt over that.

Do you mean the part about being a 40 year old singing covers? It may have stung, but to be fair, it was baldfaced truth. I kind of think Rebecca was harboring an idea it was something bigger than it was, along with the notion that it was simply marriage and children that had prevented her from "making it".

Funny thing is I just realized I know someone a bit like Rebecca in relation to music who also married a slightly older man and had children with him. He is head over heels with her and she sings several nights a week with various acts in bars, at private parties, summertime art festivals, wherever she can sing. She kept him on pins and needles for years, telling him she was out the door the moment the kids were grown to pursue her career. This man showered her with anything she ever showed any sign of wanting. They reached the deadline maybe 3, 4 years ago and she is still doing the same round of gigs. I have never cared for her and never socialized with her, DH is casual friends with the husband. She can sing pleasantly, but not anything to write home about in my book. I'm sure if you asked her husband he would tell you she could outsell Beyonce and Adele combined if she had a record out.

I read this thread every week, but never comment. I am addicted to this show! I think maybe Jack actually died already in that last episode. I feel like he left after that fight or possibly they never got home together at all. Jack's character would not have agreed to a separation for any period of time from his whole family without so much as a fight. He talks about the future of the kids in a way that is very far in the future to me. And after that speech he gives her at the end, they don't touch or embrace at all. He just turns and walks out. And when the door closes she's actually looking the other way and holding the necklace. I think he may be gone already.
I could be way off, but you never know!

I keep thinking about what you posted and I just wanted to come back and say, please come back and post more, at least on this thread at the very least. It's great to hear new ideas and interesting voices around here.

Although if I could nicely ask, could you please not have the next idea break my heart so crushingly? (I find the Pearson family storyline quite endearing and am having a hard time thinking about losing Jack.)

Sorry, but I totally disagree. She didn't leave just because Jack was drunk..she also left because that guy tried to kiss her.

If some chick tried to kiss my husband, I for sure would want him out of that situation. Yes, it was Rebecca's dream to be singing, but not to be hit on by her ex (barely). The family didn't 'need' her to sing, so she had no responsibility to stay.

But was she going to leave if Jack wasn't there? If so, then she shouldn't blame Jack for her giving up on her dream.

But was she going to leave if Jack wasn't there? If so, then she shouldn't blame Jack for her giving up on her dream.

It's hard to say. She did storm out of the room and went to the phones to call Jack. Didn't she pretty much say she was leaving right after the ex (Ben?) tried to kiss her.

I read this thread every week, but never comment. I am addicted to this show! I think maybe Jack actually died already in that last episode. I feel like he left after that fight or possibly they never got home together at all. Jack's character would not have agreed to a separation for any period of time from his whole family without so much as a fight. He talks about the future of the kids in a way that is very far in the future to me. And after that speech he gives her at the end, they don't touch or embrace at all. He just turns and walks out. And when the door closes she's actually looking the other way and holding the necklace. I think he may be gone already.
I could be way off, but you never know!

Another first time poster here (to this thread, I mean)...I just found it a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I find the above to be very interesting because the one thing I noticed at the end of the episode, as we see Jack walk out the door, and Rebecca is touching her necklace, it ends with a flash of bright light. In much of popular culture, the "bright light" is referenced when someone dies. My first thought, upon seeing it, is that Jack was walking out the door, towards the bright light/his death. That could fit into the post above, as well.

Do you mean the part about being a 40 year old singing covers? It may have stung, but to be fair, it was baldfaced truth. I kind of think Rebecca was harboring an idea it was something bigger than it was, along with the notion that it was simply marriage and children that had prevented her from "making it".

Funny thing is I just realized I know someone a bit like Rebecca in relation to music who also married a slightly older man and had children with him. He is head over heels with her and she sings several nights a week with various acts in bars, at private parties, summertime art festivals, wherever she can sing. She kept him on pins and needles for years, telling him she was out the door the moment the kids were grown to pursue her career. This man showered her with anything she ever showed any sign of wanting. They reached the deadline maybe 3, 4 years ago and she is still doing the same round of gigs. I have never cared for her and never socialized with her, DH is casual friends with the husband. She can sing pleasantly, but not anything to write home about in my book. I'm sure if you asked her husband he would tell you she could outsell Beyonce and Adele combined if she had a record out.
Yes, that's what I mean. Even if at some point it needed to be said it did not need to be said right then in that way. I get he was defending himself against her assertion that it was because of him/the family she didn't have the career she wanted but that was going for the jugular. I have experienced that type of fight but we are 'clean' fighters; don't bring up past transgressions, no name calling and never say anything you can't take back. He can never take back the way he delivered that even though it's true and she will never forget it, kwim? There's a difference between being honest with your spouse and purposely drawing blood.

Yes, that's what I mean. Even if at some point it needed to be said it did not need to be said right then in that way. I get he was defending himself against her assertion that it was because of him/the family she didn't have the career she wanted but that was going for the jugular. I have experienced that type of fight but we are 'clean' fighters; don't bring up past transgressions, no name calling and never say anything you can't take back. He can never take back the way he delivered that even though it's true and she will never forget it, kwim?

I see what you mean, but I think I view the comment slightly different than you do.

On one hand there's nothing wrong with enjoying singing covers with a band if that's your joy. On the other hand I think Rebecca had an idea she was almost picking up where she left off years ago and still had an idea she was on her way and growing her singing career into a major career. I don't think that was true of where she was headed as a very young woman and I don't think it's true it was anywhere close to her grasp these years later. I don't have a problem with Jack verbalizing that truth to her in a way to bring her back to reality.

Like I said, I think you receive the message differently than I do. It's all good, I tend to like unvarnished truth more often than not and people who don't know me can think it's kind of harsh, so I'd expect others to view it differently than I might. My husband and I rarely argue and even have a strange shorthand between us in communicating when we disagree, so I can't even imagine the idea of, I think you should go stay with Miguel for a while so we can take a breath. I think that's why I can't understand some of the comments about the episode being boring or not leaving us with much drama. That kind of thing would be absolutely seismic in my world.

I wouldn't say we fight "dirty" by any means. But I think we can level with each other at depths that might bother others. Not mean or toxic, not even loud or raised voices, just really level with each other with an understanding that no matter what we are united. Kind of hard to discuss in writing with strangers without coming off like Princess Perfect with the perfect marriage in the perfect life, etc. We're very, very different people who have our struggles and we disagree about lots of things. Surprisingly it works with relative tranquility somehow.

Another first time poster here (to this thread, I mean)...I just found it a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I find the above to be very interesting because the one thing I noticed at the end of the episode, as we see Jack walk out the door, and Rebecca is touching her necklace, it ends with a flash of bright light. In much of popular culture, the "bright light" is referenced when someone dies. My first thought, upon seeing it, is that Jack was walking out the door, towards the bright light/his death. That could fit into the post above, as well.

Please come back and chat with us about the show more, at least when it comes back with new episodes if nothing else.

I hate to say I "enjoyed" your comment because it also broke my heart. I guess I'll say your comment was very interesting, so please come back and chat again!

Yes, I also noticed the bright light too! I think the PP is definitely onto something here....

I don't think their issues were big enough to warrant him staying at a friends for "a while." That doesn't go down in my house. If you need a break you sleep in the other room. Staying at a hotel or at a friends means we are on the brink of divorce and to me their issues do not seem divorce worthy.

I see what you mean, but I think I view the comment slightly different than you do.

On one hand there's nothing wrong with enjoying singing covers with a band if that's your joy. On the other hand I think Rebecca had an idea she was almost picking up where she left off years ago and still had an idea she was on her way and growing her singing career into a major career. I don't think that was true of where she was headed as a very young woman and I don't think it's true it was anywhere close to her grasp these years later. I don't have a problem with Jack verbalizing that truth to her in a way to bring her back to reality.

Like I said, I think you receive the message differently than I do. It's all good, I tend to like unvarnished truth more often than not and people who don't know me can think it's kind of harsh, so I'd expect others to view it differently than I might. My husband and I rarely argue and even have a strange shorthand between us in communicating when we disagree, so I can't even imagine the idea of, I think you should go stay with Miguel for a while so we can take a breath. I think that's why I can't understand some of the comments about the episode being boring or not leaving us with much drama. That kind of thing would be absolutely seismic in my world.

I wouldn't say we fight "dirty" by any means. But I think we can level with each other at depths that might bother others. Not mean or toxic, not even loud or raised voices, just really level with each other with an understanding that no matter what we are united. Kind of hard to discuss in writing with strangers without coming off like Princess Perfect with the perfect marriage in the perfect life, etc. We're very, very different people who have our struggles and we disagree about lots of things. Surprisingly it works with relative tranquility somehow.
I agree that we're just receiving it differently. Trust me, we level with each other with pretty raw honesty it's just that we don't 'go for blood' in the delivery. That's what it feels like Jack did, he wanted to hurt her back. FTR I can count on one hand the number of fights we've had in 28 years and only one on the level of Jack and Rebecca's. Ironically I think that particular fight probably saved our marriage because we had stopped communicating. A delivery like Jack's would have crushed me. I'm pretty tender hearted though.

The wink at the end and the happy delivery by Jack does make me think he is dead. It's like he is trying to comfort her when he says, "our love story is just beginning."

But at the beginning of the talk, she says "what are we going to tell the kids?" and he said something about telling them they had a fight and needed to cool off. Miguel is cool with me staying with him. That makes me think he isn't dead.

Maybe he dies on the way to Miguels?

I thought that as well with the light. They also used the light when William died.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter