This is us..

Once her ex bf decided to make a move on the married singer all bets were off. If my SO were in that position I would expect him to leave. Not continue hanging out.

If my husband shut it down the way that Rebecca did, I wouldn't expect him to leave. If he wanted to leave, I'd support that decision. I'm sure my husband would say the same if I were in that position. What if this happened in a traditional workplace? Would you still expect him to leave his job?

I feel like because her career choice is being a singer, she is somehow being selfish. Like if she went back to her career as a nurse or a doctor or whatever career that she would have to work nights, people would be fine with it, but because it is a career in entertainment, it is somehow more of just a selfish hobby. She takes care of the kids before and after school, and he takes acre of them at night, not sure how that is unfair to Jack? They are both going to work, she just happens to have found a job that she loves.
Perhaps Rebecca feels this a bit as well? She seemed to have some insecurities before the show when Ben came to talk her down and the almost kiss happened.

If he'd go "off the rails" because she was working with someone she dated for 2 months, 20 years prior, then they really have issues

To expand on the lying thing a bit. You know, she lied to Jack AND Randall about William. There's a pattern there. So is it that she couldn't talk to Jack or just her own insecurities that made her *think* she couldn't?
Rebecca seems to have some insecurities and not wanting "to rock the boat" and upset her life with "what ifs" if she told the truth. Although the 20 years ago dating thing-to me that shows Rebecca hadn't even given Ben another thought AT ALL as she was totally shocked and PO'd Ben tried to kiss her and accused him of using the excuse of her singing with band to get them back together.
Then when Jack showed up drunk and punched the guy-Rebecca took out her frustrations with Jack (being a "shadow") in the fight-and Jack took out his frustrations with his life (she finally getting to pursue her "dream"?) on her. I do find it odd that she didn't respond at all to his speech at the end...

What if Jack left after the fight with Rebecca? We know he was drunk and now pissed off and upset, not a good combination. He gets into an accident and dies. We see Rebecca come down the stairs the next morning with red, puffy eyes and speaks to Jack, who looks like he never went to bed. Maybe he's already gone at that point.

Ok..hear me out

MAYBE

Kate and Rebecca had a fight over the fact that Jack left and he was on his way back home to smooth things out and he died in a car accident?!?

Then they'd both feel responsible and have issues years later.

(Totally just spitballing) lol

I watched it again. I thought that the lighting was kind of weird through the whole fight scene. I don't know if it means anything. We didn't actually see Jack walk into the light. The camera swung around to Rebecca and the window was a bright light (but that was what Jack was walking into).

What if an accident happened when Rebecca was driving home? That could explain why the kids are somewhat distant from Rebecca. She may not have told them the whole story and left Jack in a better light in their minds. Also, it would help explain the change in her as an older woman. Also, Kate could still perceive the whole thing as her fault. I don't want to think that Jack is dead at this point, though. I'm happy to wait to see how it plays out.
This was my thought.

I apologize if this was already addressed but I scanned through quickly and couldn't find anything. What was the "painful scene that has never been shown on television before"? I don't recall anything that I believe fits that description.

I apologize if this was already addressed but I scanned through quickly and couldn't find anything. What was the "painful scene that has never been shown on television before"? I don't recall anything that I believe fits that description.

I wondered if it was the intense fight scene, but I've seen fight scenes in other shows where people are talking over each other and not listening, so I'm not sure.

I went back and watched the first one again today. One thing that I had forgotten about was that Randall told William that he paid cash for his $140,000 car. I think they have the savings/investments to allow Randall and Beth to take a little time to decide what they want to do with their lives. I had forgotten how I enjoyed Randall at that first meeting, too. He rants and raves and says he's leaving, and William calmly asks if he wants to come in, and he does. Then he tells William that he just wanted to say, "Screw you," and storms off only to come back seconds later to say, "Hey, do you want to meet your granddaughters."

I think that William's address was visible in the e-mail from the investigator, but I got distracted at that point and forgot to go back to look.

Also, when Randall was telling Beth what he learned from the investigator, he told her that his birth mother died in childbirth.

I wondered if it was the intense fight scene, but I've seen fight scenes in other shows where people are talking over each other and not listening, so I'm not sure.

I was under that impression also. I heard it was done in one take with very little if any rehearsal so it would be raw and real.

I saw an interview with Mandy Moore and she said that they rehearsed it over and over again so I would be surprised if this is what they are referring to.

If Rebecca is supposed to be 40 in the finale, that means her kids are only about 10, right? I thought she was 29-ish when she got pregnant? They looked much older than that in the funeral flashback..

In interviews, Milo keeps referring to the fight scene takes as a "oner" in which the entire scene (six pages of dialogue) was shot in one complete take, over and over again. So not one take in all, but every time they shot it, the actors finished the entire scene without interruption. This could be what was meant by the never before seen on tv spin. It's very, very hard for a director to not stop the action when he or she sees something they want to fix - at least that has been my experience in theatre. That is the feeling I also get from Milo when he talks about it - that a "oner" is a rare thing, particularly for such a long scene. I don't know that it has never been done on tv before, but maybe.

I've started re-watching the season on "On Demand" and I'm noticing all sorts of little things I either didn't catch the first time or forgot! Like today, I realized Rebecca tried to tell Jack right after they brought the babies home that she saw William (without knowing his name or being sure who he was) across the street when Jack was getting the car.

In interviews, Milo keeps referring to the fight scene takes as a "oner" in which the entire scene (six pages of dialogue) was shot in one complete take, over and over again. So not one take in all, but every time they shot it, the actors finished the entire scene without interruption. This could be what was meant by the never before seen on tv spin. It's very, very hard for a director to not stop the action when he or she sees something they want to fix - at least that has been my experience in theatre. That is the feeling I also get from Milo when he talks about it - that a "oner" is a rare thing, particularly for such a long scene. I don't know that it has never been done on tv before, but maybe.

I can't speak to the length of one or the other, but there was one episode of "Mad About You" that had a very lengthy, one-take scene. It was right after they had their baby, and they were sitting in the hall, talking. I don'[t even remember what the scene was about beyond parenting. Then at the end of the episode "wrap up"--you know, the 2-minute bit at the very end, Paul is commenting on something else that has a very long, one-take scene, and Jaime (Helen Hunt's character) says something like, "Big deal--they're professional actors, that's what they're paid for."

Now, it's probably rare, to be sure, but I don't think it counts as something "never before seen in the history of television".

I've started re-watching the season on "On Demand" and I'm noticing all sorts of little things I either didn't catch the first time or forgot! Like today, I realized Rebecca tried to tell Jack right after they brought the babies home that she saw William (without knowing his name or being sure who he was) across the street when Jack was getting the car.
I'm planning to rewatch the seasons during the summer too. I'm sure I will notice all kinds of things too. I am really looking forward to it.

He said 40-year old woman, but he must have meant in her 40s. The kids looked to be about 15 or so.
The actors portraying the young adult children at the funeral are different than the ones playing the teens in the last episodes. I think it's clear that Jack's death has yet to come.

The actors portraying the young adult children at the funeral are different than the ones playing the teens in the last episodes. I think it's clear that Jack's death has yet to come.

I'm not disagreeing with that part, but the children in the finale episode are clearly older than 10, so he must not have been literal about Rebecca being 40.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!