They changed the fish. . . . .

Ok, just back from a fabulous 5 day stay at DW! Bearing in mind that I didn’t know what type of fish I’d been eating at Yorkshire, I still loved it, what they are serving now is distinctly different and disappointing. More to the point, the people frying/serving it up, have no clue what type of fish it is either. Once fried, it looks the same, ( sorry no pics my phone had died) but it has no taste, it’s less flaky and was dry. Now, the stand on the 2 days we meandered through Epcot was literally empty, something I’ve rarely seen! On a positive note, the F&W booths are coming up, woohoo!

Last edited:
Thank you for confirming what I had heard. My DH used to LOVE the fish & chips there (it has always been a must do "snack" for him, meal for me). He and I do NOT eat Tilapia. It is not a healthy fish to eat, tastes like soap to me, and I agree if it's Tilapia, it is NOT fish & chips!

I do hope Disney is reading this. I will not go there! That sounds awful!

No taste, Less flaky, dry...but you loved it? :confused3
No, I loved what they were previously serving, though I didn’t know what it was ( in my earlier comments I learned it wasn’t cod, halibut but some fish that starts with a « P » What they are now serving is dry and barely tastes of fish!

You are VERY VERY WRONG. Halibut is definitely the best fish for fish n' chips (and the most expensive). Big difference from haddock!
Apparently things are different in Toronto. On Cape Cod, and just about everywhere else in New England, the fish served in fish n' chips is either haddock or cod.

No, I loved what they were previously serving, though I didn’t know what it was ( in my earlier comments I learned it wasn’t cod, halibut but some fish that starts with a « P » What they are now serving is dry and barely tastes of fish!

When my kids were toddlers, I used to cook tilapia (just pan fried it in a little oil with salt & pepper). My youngest would say, "Can I have more chicken?"! He hates fish. It has no flavor, and back then I didn't know the omega fats that are in it are like the opposite of salmon and other fish (it's really a bad ratio). It was the only fish he would eat, since he had no idea it was fish (well, he does eat calamari).

So, after 11 pages on this thread, has anyone from Disney confirmed or denied they are using tilapia?

I sent an email to WDW guest services and asked if someone could clarify what fish was being used in the fish and chips right now. The person who answered stated that she spoke with a representative at Epcot who told her that they have not used cod in over 5 years and that they have been using Tilapia for several years now. Being from New England, we're used to cod and haddock (which we definitely prefer) but have been eating at the counter service for years....just don't tell my husband that it's not cod lol!

Probably Pollock. It's substituted quite often up here for Cod and Haddock in Fish and Chips, especially when the market gets high. It's from the same family but always cheaper. When cooked it's very similar. I've also seen Cusk used in Fish and Chips. While not my favorite I still prefer it by a mile to Tilapia. There's actually a pretty famous Fish Fry place in the Albany area of NY that exclusively serves Cusk in their F&C.

As for how long ago they switched to Tilapia I don't think it's been years. We ate their in February and even though it was at the end of our Drinks around the World extravaganza I'm pretty sure it wasn't Tilapia,

This thread is like an old friend LOL.

This thread is hilarious. Concern over the health dangers of consuming tilapia but no concern whatsoever about the battered and fried exterior of fish and chips. Or for that matter most any of the food you eat at WDW, the great majority of which is spectacularly unhealthy.

My issues with Tilapia are twofold. Besides not caring for the taste it's an issue of trying to not support an industry with a shaky at best and criminal at worst track record. As for people consuming unhealthy food on vacation it's not quite the same. A little indulgence on vacation is part of the fun and I'd bet most return to a healthier more regimented diet when back home.

Probably Pollock.
Naw, it's was pangasius. Also if anybody is wondering why they switched one garbage fish out for another it's because the USDA caught onto the South East Asian pangasius farms and started cracking down (https://www.seafoodsource.com/featu...ius-processors-gearing-up-for-usda-inspection) causing a significant increase in the wholesale price. Also tariffs. http://www.vir.com.vn/us-places-heavy-tariff-on-vietnamese-pangasius-57428.html

I think the bottom line here is that there are good fish for Fish and Chips (haddock, cod, halibut) and what they have been serving at YC, which for YEARS has been crap. Sorry to all y'all that were tricked (rose colored glasses are real), and shame on Disney.

...but tasty!

Do tell. What "criminal track record"?

I spent a day with the Rep from a company called Clean Fish and have used and consumed their stuff for years.'You've probably seen some of their lines which include Laughing Bird Shrimp, Loch Duart Salmon and Ora King Salmon. They also sell a Peruvian farmed Blue Tilapia. This stuff is night and day from any Tilapia coming from Asia. He shared with me some of the horrific practices that were used at the time at some of the Asian Farms he's seen including incredibly over cramped ponds, mass doses of hormones and antibiotics used to treat the fish, never cleaned ponds and in some cases farmers were putting chicken coops over the water and feeding the fish with the droppings. Now I'm sure some farms have better practices than others but how can one identify where the Tilapia they're eating has come from and why take the chance?

This thread is hilarious. Concern over the health dangers of consuming tilapia but no concern whatsoever about the battered and fried exterior of fish and chips. Or for that matter most any of the food you eat at WDW, the great majority of which is spectacularly unhealthy.
There's a very logical reason for that. And not hard to figure out if you think about it. The concerns people were voicing over tilapia were in relation to eating habits both in and out of Disney.
What people eat at Disney is JUST at Disney and probably not going to harm their overall health when you are talking about only a small portion of their overall life span. Their eating habits elsewhere do impact their health. That's why it mattered.

Naw, it's was pangasius. Also if anybody is wondering why they switched one garbage fish out for another it's because the USDA caught onto the South East Asian pangasius farms and started cracking down (https://www.seafoodsource.com/featu...ius-processors-gearing-up-for-usda-inspection) causing a significant increase in the wholesale price. Also tariffs. http://www.vir.com.vn/us-places-heavy-tariff-on-vietnamese-pangasius-57428.html

I think the bottom line here is that there are good fish for Fish and Chips (haddock, cod, halibut) and what they have been serving at YC, which for YEARS has been crap. Sorry to all y'all that were tricked (rose colored glasses are real), and shame on Disney.

OK, I've seen it listed by another name, Swai. Not a great reputation with that one to say the least.

I spent a day with the Rep from a company called Clean Fish and have used and consumed their stuff for years.'You've probably seen some of their lines which include Laughing Bird Shrimp, Loch Duart Salmon and Ora King Salmon. They also sell a Peruvian farmed Blue Tilapia. This stuff is night and day from any Tilapia coming from Asia. He shared with me some of the horrific practices that were used at the time at some of the Asian Farms he's seen including incredibly over cramped ponds, mass doses of hormones and antibiotics used to treat the fish, never cleaned ponds and in some cases farmers were putting chicken coops over the water and feeding the fish with the droppings. Now I'm sure some farms have better practices than others but how can one identify where the Tilapia they're eating has come from and why take the chance?
And I'm certain he had a very unbiased view of the industry. It's impossible to find anyone without an agenda to push. And as such, impossible to find valid facts that haven't been skewed to show whoever's side they are trying to prove. We all know facts can be manipulated to show whatever you want. A tweak here, a tweak there is all it takes

And I'm certain he had a very unbiased view of the industry. It's impossible to find anyone without an agenda to push. And as such, impossible to find valid facts that haven't been skewed to show whoever's side they are trying to prove. We all know facts can be manipulated to show whatever you want. A tweak here, a tweak there is all it takes

I'd hate to be that cynical but I can see your point. But I spent an entire day with him, quizzed him on all aspects of his business and got a pretty good feel for him as a person. I consider myself a pretty good judge of character. Maybe he was embellishing or fabricating but my best judgement was he wasn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter