They changed the fish. . . . .

So I just returned from a 10 day trip a few days ago. I was sitting here browsing the site and clicked on this link because of our experience at R&C. R&C has been one of our favorite/go to locations for the past 20 years.

This year the only thing that I can say about the food is that it was horrible. My DH, DS and myself all ordered fish and chips. The fish was greasy on the outside (to the point that I had to wipe my fingers every time that I touched it) and mushy on the inside. The texture was nothing short of disgusting and, worst of all, it had no taste. I am not a fish expert but I do like to eat fish. I would have absolutely no idea what type of fish they are serving but I can tell you that we said that we will never eat here again after this trip. (The $11.00 hardboiled egg didn't help my opinion of our meal. :rotfl:)

So I just returned from a 10 day trip a few days ago. I was sitting here browsing the site and clicked on this link because of our experience at R&C. R&C has been one of our favorite/go to locations for the past 20 years.

This year the only thing that I can say about the food is that it was horrible. My DH, DS and myself all ordered fish and chips. The fish was greasy on the outside (to the point that I had to wipe my fingers every time that I touched it) and mushy on the inside. The texture was nothing short of disgusting and, worst of all, it had no taste. I am not a fish expert but I do like to eat fish. I would have absolutely no idea what type of fish they are serving but I can tell you that we said that we will never eat here again after this trip. (The $11.00 hardboiled egg didn't help my opinion of our meal. :rotfl:)

That's so sad about your meals! I always liked R&C and the fish & chips! I don't think we'll return there for a while.

That's so sad about your meals! I always liked R&C and the fish & chips! I don't think we'll return there for a while.
Eh my son is a huge fish and chips kid- and he loves the Yorkshire F&C. It must be a much thicker tilapia if that is really what they are using now-my kiddo swears it is the same fish he's eaten for years at Yorkshire, and he did say there is definitely a difference between R&C and Yorkshire fish. This is a kid who quizzes our servers when we go out for sushi on type and quality of fish used...

Thanks for the warning. Tilapia.... not a fan. Sad news for us fish and chips lovers. If Disney gets a lot of complaints, maybe they'll switch back or to a different fish. I can only hope.

Eh my son is a huge fish and chips kid- and he loves the Yorkshire F&C. It must be a much thicker tilapia if that is really what they are using now-my kiddo swears it is the same fish he's eaten for years at Yorkshire, and he did say there is definitely a difference between R&C and Yorkshire fish. This is a kid who quizzes our servers when we go out for sushi on type and quality of fish used...
Keep in mind that the OP stated that it was tilapia, and that somehow tilapia wasn't found in the wild. So, take that it is different and bad, with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the warning. Tilapia.... not a fan. Sad news for us fish and chips lovers. If Disney gets a lot of complaints, maybe they'll switch back or to a different fish. I can only hope.

Problem is that Disney has no way to count how many people just won't go because of the type of fish used.
We were looking forward to Yorkshire until we learned it's not Cod.

Given some recent reviews that the F&C at Rose & Crown wasn't up to past standards, we may just skip F&C altogether since it's really the only reason we would eat at R&C.

Once upon a time … the TS and CS of England both promoted "Harry Ramsden's, The World's Most Famous Fish & Chips: Prime Code cooked in our unique batter served with traditional chips."

Keep in mind that the OP stated that it was tilapia, and that somehow tilapia wasn't found in the wild. So, take that it is different and bad, with a grain of salt.

I had not read through this thread prior to my trip. The title caught my eye after we returned due to our experience. While I understand that not everyone who posts on the internet is telling the truth, I have eaten here multiple times over the past 20 years and there was absolutely something different about this fish. It was mushy and without any taste. I’m not trying to get people to stop eating at R&C as it doesn’t affect me in the least. I am simply sharing our experience which is as valid as anyone else’s experience.

I had not read through this thread prior to my trip. The title caught my eye after we returned due to our experience. While I understand that not everyone who posts on the internet is telling the truth, I have eaten here multiple times over the past 20 years and there was absolutely something different about this fish. It was mushy and without any taste. I’m not trying to get people to stop eating at R&C as it doesn’t affect me in the least. I am simply sharing our experience which is as valid as anyone else’s experience.
There may very well be something different with the fish. They may have changed it. It may be awful.

But when someone says something like, that fish isn't found in the wild, it makes me wonder about their opinion.

Problem is that Disney has no way to count how many people just won't go because of the type of fish used.
We were looking forward to Yorkshire until we learned it's not Cod.

Given some recent reviews that the F&C at Rose & Crown wasn't up to past standards, we may just skip F&C altogether since it's really the only reason we would eat at R&C.

If you want to eat good fish and chips during your Disney vacation, go to the Garden Grove in the Swan for dinner on Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. Trust me. :)

Once upon a time … the TS and CS of England both promoted "Harry Ramsden's, The World's Most Famous Fish & Chips: Prime Code cooked in our unique batter served with traditional chips."
Those were very good fish and chips. I noticed the difference when we went back to R & C after they went off the menu and the new version wasn't as good.

We were trying to decide between Rose and Crown and the Yorkshire fish shop when we were at Epcot in April. The hostess said the R and C was cod, The fish shop was not. We ate at R and C, very tasty and a nice break.

I have never gone into the bar area of R and C and ordered food, but saw many doing this. Wonder if that is cod?

This thread is a disgrace. Everybody knows haddock is the best fish for fish and chips. So you guys CODn't be more wrong. Cod is maybe in second PLAICE compared to haddock.
You are VERY VERY WRONG. Halibut is definitely the best fish for fish n' chips (and the most expensive). Big difference from haddock!

We were trying to decide between Rose and Crown and the Yorkshire fish shop when we were at Epcot in April. The hostess said the R and C was cod, The fish shop was not. We ate at R and C, very tasty and a nice break.

I have never gone into the bar area of R and C and ordered food, but saw many doing this. Wonder if that is cod?
The R & C Pub food comes from the same kitchen as the dining room and the fish and chips are the same as served in the dining room, but a smaller “bar size” serving.

Yup they do but they don't produce nearly enough to supply the volume used at Yorkshire. Plus you can be damn sure they'd be advertising the fact that's where it came from and charging accordingly. :-)

On a side note I always get a little bummed when I see how crowded those tanks are.

Fish was definitely different last week compared to last year. It was ok, but not good. .greasy, oily. It seemed to be a smaller portion as well. The french fries were just as good as I remember. The day after we went, I received a survey in an email from Disney about the food at Epcot and after I checked off that we went to Yorkshire it asked a bunch of questions about our food experience. Hopefully, they make a change. I wouldn't get it again, especially with France right next door.

Fish was definitely different last week compared to last year. It was ok, but not good. .greasy, oily. It seemed to be a smaller portion as well. The french fries were just as good as I remember. The day after we went, I received a survey in an email from Disney about the food at Epcot and after I checked off that we went to Yorkshire it asked a bunch of questions about our food experience. Hopefully, they make a change. I wouldn't get it again, especially with France right next door.

We didn’t like the fish either and it was always on our “must do” list. I thought that it didn’t have any taste other than the grease.

I like your point about France. We love the food there as well. I’m guessing that this will be our new “go to” restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter