They changed the fish. . . . .

Dolby1000

Feel free to call me Ocean Wave
At the walk up for fish and chips at Epcot, we went to have our standard two piece that we have come to enjoy so much and think it is one of the better priced meals. When we mentioned to the order taker how much we enjoyed the dish, she told us we were going to love it even more as they just changed from Cod to Tilapia.

Well, ewwwwwww. Tilapia doesn't even exist in the wild and is one of the most unhealthy items you can eat. And, no, the dish wasn't better. It was rather tasteless and dull. The fries (chips) remain excellent and it was served hot, but isn't anywhere near as good as using the Cod. Sure, Tilapia is likely far cheaper, but no, it isn't anywhere near as good.

Not sure if the fish and chips in Rose and Crown were changed too.

OWD

If they switched to Tilapia I will not be eating it.
Tilapia are bland, tasteless, and possibly raised under less than ideal sanitary conditions.
If this is the Managements idea of "improving" the menu at R&C they need new Management.
Next thing you know they'll be serving Jimmy Dean sausages in the Bangers & Mash. :scared:

I wonder if this could be why my friend's son didn't enjoy his fish and chips at R & C last month.
He ate there and watched Illuminations with friends during Senior Trip, and figured fish and chips should be good there, but was not impressed - my friend had commented she didn't know how they could mess those up! Maybe just an off day, or maybe this change?

I wanted to look up Tilapia because lately I have heard of it being served in a lot of restaurants where I live. Then I find this fish thread.

So then I find this info:
Tilapia is one of the most popular types of fish to eat because it is affordable. ... However, many health experts agree that you should not eat tilapia. Not only is tilapia lacking in essential nutrients, but is also bad for you. In fact, many experts agree that eating a hamburger or bacon is a better choice than tilapia:scared1:

I love fish but I would eat anything else before I ever touch it.

Only saving grace would be it was being farmed onsite at The Land

We had fish and chips three places on our recent trip: the Yorkshire County Fish Shop in Epcot, the Garden Grove Seafood Sensation dinner buffet, and Bluezoo.

Yorkshire’s was the least tasty. Bluezoo was good and according to the menu was corvina filet. But the best tasting was at Garden Grove where they told us that it was cod. It’s not served on the buffet; rather, it is brought to your table at the beginning of the meal.

Last time we rode living with the land they told us the Tilapia they were farming there was served in restaurants onsite so I guess that is why. Tilapia is so gross.

We've had fish and chips there twice and both times been super-greasy and we didn't finish it. I don't think the type of fish would matter.

I think it does exist in the wild, but it's not a very good fish in either taste or nutrition. What Disney is serving is definitely not wild-caught, in any case. "Tilapia Fish & Chips" sounds vile. :crazy2:

I think it does exist in the wild, but it's not a very good fish in either taste or nutrition. What Disney is serving is definitely not wild-caught, in any case. "Tilapia Fish & Chips" sounds vile. :crazy2:

I think so too. I watched an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and he was in Africa. They fished Tilapia. They were huge. They grilled them and he said they were delicious and nothing like the gross crap that's farmed here.

I'm not a seafood person but I loved the fish and chips at Yorkshire. It's actually one of the meals I was looking forward to getting next trip. Especially since we are staying at BWV. I was hoping to just hop in, pick up fish and chips and eat it at the pool. I don't think I've ever gotten mad about food at Disney but this has me kinda bummed!

While I agree tilapia is a bad choice for fish and chips, I don't get all the hate for it! I read what you are saying above, but you can refute that just as easily.

Perhaps being Italian I am used to it, we use it in a variety of seafood dishes. And also fish tacos, yum!

Ah tilapia, so easy to hate on you I guess. ;)

Well this is disappointing - if the taste is not good anymore, was on my DH's must-do list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!