They changed the fish. . . . .

I sent an email to WDW guest services and asked if someone could clarify what fish was being used in the fish and chips right now. The person who answered stated that she spoke with a representative at Epcot who told her that they have not used cod in over 5 years and that they have been using Tilapia for several years now. Being from New England, we're used to cod and haddock (which we definitely prefer) but have been eating at the counter service for years....just don't tell my husband that it's not cod lol!

This is truly the hilarious thing if true. Because that means that some of the people likely complaining who have had this fish in Epcot recently, also likely had this same Tilapia or Tilapia-like fish before in Disney over the last 5 years, only they didn't know it and thought it was cod and probably loved it. But now with people KNOWING it's tilapia, when they taste it now, they have decided it taste horrible because they have decided they hate tilapia beforehand.

There is something to be said for how the mind works tricks on us. If we go in knowing we hate something, guess what, odds are you will hate it. There is a reason they do blind taste tastes because very often you get surprising results and food or beverages people claim they hate for this or that reason, they actually end up loving when they don't know what it is or when they think it's actually something they love.

Naw, it's was pangasius. Also if anybody is wondering why they switched one garbage fish out for another it's because the USDA caught onto the South East Asian pangasius farms and started cracking down (https://www.seafoodsource.com/featu...ius-processors-gearing-up-for-usda-inspection) causing a significant increase in the wholesale price. Also tariffs. http://www.vir.com.vn/us-places-heavy-tariff-on-vietnamese-pangasius-57428.html

I think the bottom line here is that there are good fish for Fish and Chips (haddock, cod, halibut) and what they have been serving at YC, which for YEARS has been crap. Sorry to all y'all that were tricked (rose colored glasses are real), and shame on Disney.
Yup.........
The bottom line, for me at least, is that substituting a cheap, flavorless, mushy textured fish for the accepted thick, firm fleshed, and flavorful fish one associates with good Fish & Chips is just another of Disneys "They'll never know the difference" assumptions that relies on consumer apathy, and/or/ ignorance, to proffer the least expensive products for the highest price possible to the park goers.

This is truly the hilarious thing if true. Because that means that some of the people likely complaining who have had this fish in Epcot recently, also likely had this same Tilapia or Tilapia-like fish before in Disney over the last 5 years, only they didn't know it and thought it was cod and probably loved it. But now with people KNOWING it's tilapia, when they taste it now, they have decided it taste horrible because they have decided they hate tilapia beforehand.

There is something to be said for how the mind works tricks on us. If we go in knowing we hate something, guess what, odds are you will hate it. There is a reason they do blind taste tastes because very often you get surprising results and food or beverages people claim they hate for this or that reason, they actually end up loving when they don't know what it is or when they think it's actually something they love.

I was at Disney in June and ate the fish at the sit down location as we do every time we go. (It’s a must do for us. ). Anyways, I thought that the fish was mushy and tasteless and I didn’t see this thread until I returned. We ate the fish in 2016 at the walk up counter and loved it as always. So no, this thread did not influence our opinion. Both my husband (who doesn’t read these boards) and I hated the fish and said that we would never eat here again. The benefit of that is that we have an extra meal now in France!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter