Smucker's premade "Uncrustables" sandwiches

Who said anything about hating on anybody? I merely pointed out that perhaps the little kid was at least deserving of consideration in the equation.

I don't find anything in this thread as hate at me. Honestly, it's something I laugh about frequently (if you can't make fun of yourself deal) so I just threw it out there. No snark intended at all just some levity at my own sake. And absolutely, I think all the parents there would have rioted if the kids had been in our waiting area and trying to take a test. Poor thing wouldn't have been able to hold a pencil. I was wishing I'd been smart enough to wear gloves.

I don't find anything in this thread as hate at me. Honestly, it's something I laugh about frequently (if you can't make fun of yourself deal) so I just threw it out there. No snark intended at all just some levity at my own sake. And absolutely, I think all the parents there would have rioted if the kids had been in our waiting area and trying to take a test. Poor thing wouldn't have been able to hold a pencil. I was wishing I'd been smart enough to wear gloves.

Well perhaps can understand my confusion as to what it is I'm expected to intuit based on what you've posted. You've cleared up the essence of what you're driving at.

That sounds particularly nasty.
8bc5be97-e1f5-4ac4-8a0d-8763d90e42d6_1.6aff387a24c2d0feafd768df1138ef83.jpeg

Go to cabinet, get PB
Go to fridge, get jelly
Go to bread drawer, get bread
Open silverware drawer, get knife
Open bread
Get two slices
open PB
spread PB on one slice
Open jelly
spread jelly on other slice
Put bread together
Close jelly
Close PB
Close bread
Put PB, jelly, & bread away
Put sandwich in ziplock & lunch bag

You can do that all in 5 seconds? :thumbsup2

It's the same w/bottled water... convenience.
I just had a PB&J for lunch and because I was reading this thread I timed myself. Two minutes. I keep my bread and my peanut butter/s in the same cabinet. I also use Sandwich Thins.

Take Sandwich Thin out of the package and open it up.
Put package away, grab the peanut butter.
Turn around and grab a knife from the drawer behind me.
Spread peanut butter on both slices of sandwich thin. (Better ratio of PB and keeps things from getting soggy)
Put the PB back in the cabinet.
Grab the jelly from the fridge.
Spread jelly.
Drop knife in the sink.
Put jelly away.
If I’m taking it on the go I slide Sandwich and paper towel into a baggy and toss in my purse.
Sometimes I’m a rebel and grab the jelly, baggy and knife before I start, shaving off maybe 15 seconds.

If you’re not taking them to eat later the Uncrustables need to be thawed adding 30 seconds or so. Probably still more convenient.

I bought the Uncrustables once when my oldest (now 22) was in pre-school. She was not a fan. I ended up tossing them a few weeks later.

When we go on vacation I pack a small jar of regular and a small jar of crunchy. One squeeze bottle of strawberry and one squeeze bottle of grape and the sandwich thins. If I could get my family on the same page with jelly we’d come home empty handed every time. I do this so I’m not dropping $50-$60 for every breakfast and lunch four or five days in a row. No way in heck I’d pay Park or restaurant prices for Uncrustables that would never fill my kids up.

That said, if there was something more convenient than hauling the fixings for PB&Js to Disneyland that my kids liked I’d probably buy it without hesitation.

yes, and homemade mac and cheese tastes better than Kraft. And homemade chocolate chip cookies are better than a boxed mix and so on and so forth.

Somebody need a pat on the back cause they only eat homemade pb&j? Is this what we've come to? .Arguing over peanut butter and jelly sandwiches??? Uncrustables are a thing. Some people buy them and eat them and even *gasp* LIKE them.

Kids like and eat some weird stuff. I used to love raw hot dogs and even the occasional mayo sandwich on white bread (the thought of both now at 42 makes me want to hurl). I turned out reasonably okay. Enough food shaming, parenting shaming. You do you.

Are we really arguing over how Long it takes to make a sandwich? Unless your kitchen is as big as the one in Disney, it takes less then a minute. And ftr, uncruatables are gross.

Do not underestimate the importance of this stuff. I was going to make a comment about laziness after I read the 5 seconds post. But now that I went through all the steps listed by another poster and it took me 31.24 seconds I might change my tune.
I didn't have any uncrustables around, so I used hot pockets as a proxy. 5.87 seconds. well that changes everything. I save a whole 25.37 seconds. VIVA CONVENIENCE!!!

That sounds particularly nasty.

The pic he posted after made it much worse in my head. It's the pretoasted but then microwaved part that gets me thinking it'd be terrible. Like the way those lean cuisine type french bread pizzas always come out with chewy bread? And yet, every so often one ends up in my cart.

I just had a PB&J for lunch and because I was reading this thread I timed myself. Two minutes. I keep my bread and my peanut butter/s in the same cabinet. I also use Sandwich Thins.

Take Sandwich Thin out of the package and open it up.
Put package away, grab the peanut butter.
Turn around and grab a knife from the drawer behind me.
Spread peanut butter on both slices of sandwich thin. (Better ratio of PB and keeps things from getting soggy)
Put the PB back in the cabinet.
Grab the jelly from the fridge.
Spread jelly.
Drop knife in the sink.
Put jelly away.
If I’m taking it on the go I slide Sandwich and paper towel into a baggy and toss in my purse.
Sometimes I’m a rebel and grab the jelly, baggy and knife before I start, shaving off maybe 15 seconds.

If you’re not taking them to eat later the Uncrustables need to be thawed adding 30 seconds or so. Probably still more convenient.

I bought the Uncrustables once when my oldest (now 22) was in pre-school. She was not a fan. I ended up tossing them a few weeks later.

When we go on vacation I pack a small jar of regular and a small jar of crunchy. One squeeze bottle of strawberry and one squeeze bottle of grape and the sandwich thins. If I could get my family on the same page with jelly we’d come home empty handed every time. I do this so I’m not dropping $50-$60 for every breakfast and lunch four or five days in a row. No way in heck I’d pay Park or restaurant prices for Uncrustables that would never fill my kids up.

That said, if there was something more convenient than hauling the fixings for PB&Js to Disneyland that my kids liked I’d probably buy it without hesitation.
I know this isn't really a super serious topic but for me there's a bit added time either way if I wanted either of them now. My husband puts our bread in the fridge as it keeps longer. If we ate sandwiches all the time we wouldn't need to but we don't make a sandwich everyday. In any case I do not like cold bread in this instance so I zap my pieces of bread in the microwave just to get them to not be cold. It also makes them more pliable because cold bread is also harder bread and I'm not a fan of that.

yes, and homemade mac and cheese tastes better than Kraft. And homemade chocolate chip cookies are better than a boxed mix and so on and so forth.

Somebody need a pat on the back cause they only eat homemade pb&j? Is this what we've come to? .Arguing over peanut butter and jelly sandwiches??? Uncrustables are a thing. Some people buy them and eat them and even *gasp* LIKE them.

Kids like and eat some weird stuff. I used to love raw hot dogs and even the occasional mayo sandwich on white bread (the thought of both now at 42 makes me want to hurl). I turned out reasonably okay. Enough food shaming, parenting shaming. You do you.

Wait, expressing the comment that some kids rejected Uncrustables as "tasting funny" is now food shaming and/or parent shaming? Better hang onto your hat, because I'm gonna bully the heck out of that grilled cheese version with a declaration of not only nasty, but vile!

Probably a problem in finding Canadian Processed cheese to put in them. LOL
My wife laughed when we at at Denny's in Saskatoon and the menu said their grilled cheese sandwiches were made with "Canadian Processed Cheese" not "American Processed Cheese"
Why would they have cheese in them? they are PBJ sandwiches. The product isn't available in Canada.

I don't eat peanut butter sandwiches that much, but I love them. I don't like jelly, so it's straight PB for me. I like to make my own "crunchy" PB. I'll use smooth peanut butter and then add fresh roasted whole peanuts. Oh so good!!! Or if I have them, I'll use unsalted sunflower seeds instead. Yeah, OK, maybe weird, but I like it.

We don't buy the uncrustables for our kids simply because we prefer to save money. PB&J (or just PB...DS11 is like me) is an absolute staple food for the kids lunches. DW and I do an assembly line and will make 6-10 of them at a time. Goes quick and easy. Then our 3 dogs get to go to town on the empty PB jars. :dogdance:

I don't think an Uncrustable wrapper is any more or less plastic waste than the sandwich baggie the homemade sandwich gets packed in. Unless you're using a reusable sandwich container, the waste angle is pretty much a wash. And while those things are popular at the back-to-school sales, I see every year how that goes in our school's lunchroom - families start off the year sending lunches packed in dishwasher-safe sandwich boxes and bentos and reusable water bottles, and by Christmas break, those same kids are bringing sandwich baggies, store-bought lunchables and single-use bottled water.

And while I agree with you that the "real thing" tastes better, if a kid doesn't care about the difference I don't see anything wrong with taking the more convenient route.It isn't as though PB&J is ever healthy or gourmet.
FWIW we have the sandwich boxes and divided containers and if my kids take lunch they get used. However they’re lazy little creatures and get hot lunch so they don’t have to make their own lunch and I have to admit if I’m eating PB&J on the go I use a baggy because if fits in my bag easier.

They are very wide spread. I think Disney even had them or has them.
I don't see the appeal.
I hated PB&J as a child and still do.
I was a bologna and cheese child and I was also fine with bread crust.
Personally I rather make the child a real sandwich whether its PB&J or otherwise.
Maybe have the uncrustable as an option for convenience just in case say we ran out of bread or something and needed a quick solution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter