Smucker's premade "Uncrustables" sandwiches

Disney started serving these long enough ago that my now 21yo was eating off the kids menus. All three of mine thought they were gross...

Ditto. My youngest had serious PB&J sandwich situation going on for several years and he wouldn't touch the uncrustables with a 10-foot pole. He's 22 now....theses things have been around in the freezer section/advertised for a long time.

Pampered Chef had a tool that would crimp sandwiches like this so I would make them for DD before Smuckers came out with it. Never bought the Smuckers ones.

I have this! I used to make my DD "circle sandwiches" when she was little.

Man, those have been around forever. I think they sent me a press kit with samples at my old job, and I left that job 13 years ago,
My kids liked them. Good quick snack, but both my kids learned to cook in elementary school, so they usually made their own grilled cheese sandwiches from scratch. Yes, DW and I are one of those irresponsible adults who let our kids cook by themselves from about age 10 or 11 on.

Have a box of them in our freezer right now. Like someone else said, Costco pricing makes them fairly reasonable. Our boys tend to forget they're in the freezer for a while, then when they remember, they get eaten pretty quickly. My older son would throw a couple into his bag when working as a referee - they would defrost in between games and were a quick and easy lunch in between games.

I have not ever been so lazy or pressed for time as to not be able to throw together a PB&J. I have had these and they are nothing spectacular... And absurdly expensive per unit in comparison to a loaf of bread, and a jar of peanut butter, and a jar of jelly... And I can vary the type of ingredients for variety- cherry jam and chunky peanut butter, Nutella and peanut butter, honey roasted peanut butter and jalapeno jelly...

The ones the school I work in make for sale are much better in quality. If I am really pinched for time, I can grab lunch in the cafeteria at work.

I get it is for convenience, but honestly, it takes maybe four minutes to make a sandwich. I pack my lunch every day and never spend more than five minutes putting it together and putting it all away.

To each their own, I guess, but to me, it's not worth it. I don't buy a ton of prepackaged convenience foods at all anymore.

I remember long ago when my kids were little (now 20s and 30s,) they had the Uncrustables in the Portofino club lounge for afternoon snack. If we returned from the parks early to swim, they loved to grab a few and take to the pool. I didn't buy them often, not that I had anything against them, I just preferred whole wheat bread for the family, so they found them a kind of gross vacation treat.

I honestly never tried them myself but yeah they've been around forever. I also don't see an issue with getting them. If it's a taste thing sure I totally understand preferring a normal pbj. Otherwise there's just been way too many things I had as a kid to have an issue with premade pbjs-from lunchables, to granola bars (instead of making your own of course), to snack packs, to mini muffins, to cheese and crackers packages (or the pb version), etc.

I stopped making lunches after DD told me I make gross lunches when she was in 4th grade. I told her she can make her own gross lunches for now on.

I buy the Uncrustables and leave them in the freezer. The kids like the strawberry ones. It saved me from them making a sticky mess every morning when they were younger, and the sandwiches are super portable. My older two kids were/are involved in a lot of sports and clubs in HS, so they are/were there from 6am-8pm some days and Uncrustables hold up better than a regular sandwich, so they bring them for snacks.

I would never buy one at an amusement park. They are like $.50 each when you buy a box of them. No way would I pay several dollars for one at 6 Flags. The ones sold at Costco are bigger than the ones in regular grocery stores.
Don’t understand the convience. Takes me 5 secs to make a sandwich. No plastic waste. IMO fresh bread tastes tons better than frozen crap

I was going to say that it is convenient because it saves the mess. It is also convenient that they are frozen so you don't really need an ice pack in the lunch. As Lilacs said, they also hold up better against getting squished and soggy and gross. I tried to make some myself to freeze ahead of time with a sandwich crimper, and that can make a mess unless you use exactly the correct ratio of peanut butter to jelly

As for processed food...peanut butter, jelly, and white bread is not going to be a health food whether you make it "fresh" or not. Maybe if you make your own preserves, make your own whole wheat bread and grind your own peanut butter then you have an argument about "processed junk" but generally a pb&j sandwich is going to be processed junk whether it is an uncrustable or not.

They've been around for like 20 years!

My kids don't particularly care for them. We use to keep them on hand when the kids were younger for snack when we'd be out running errands. My kids agree with PP that they are better frozen. Me I don;t care for grape or strawberry jelly or creamy PB so it's a pass. When defrosted the get soggy and smush easily, which my kids aren't fond of.

Disney sells them as part of their kids meals, but it's a rip off. We NEVER buy them at a theme park, museum, aquarium, etc. where they are frequently sold as part of kids meals.

My kids, now all in their terrible twenties, and my granddaughter now all have had them and enjoy them. I keep a box in the freezer for them and replenish as needed.

LOL My 7th grader has taken one in his lunch everyday since kindergarten. We take them as snacks pretty much everywhere we go. We have a Wonder Bread uncrustable maker that we use sometimes, but I'd rather just buy them. I buy the strawberry jelly ones for myself for when I get called in to sub last minute.

What you consider a rip-off, I consider a godsend. I love not having to worry about packing a bunch of food or finding something my kid will eat.

That makes complete sense. For me it's viewed as bang for your buck pricing, and years ago I probably bought one or two out of convenience.

We would buy them when on vacation and we were buying easy bfast/lunch food so we didn't have to eat out 3 meals every day. They were much easier than buying pb/bread and jelly and then throwing away half used bottles at the end of the vacation.

But no one really like the taste of them very much, so we had to move on to other easily portable vacation food.

I would never buy one at an amusement park. They are like $.50 each when you buy a box of them. No way would I pay several dollars for one at 6 Flags. The ones sold at Costco are bigger than the ones in regular grocery stores.

I never pay amusement park prices. Where I go the kids meals are priced at about $9. However, we pay about $7/month per person for the meals. If our kid just wants a kids meal we don't really worry too much about it.

I thought about how these places can afford it. It occurred to me that they still get about a third of their customers paying full retail. With their costs likely pretty low, they can still make money off of it even if they're practically giving away meals to their customers on dining passes. Still - the receipts I get show a city tax being paid, although not out of my own pocket.

As another poster said, they’ve been around for at least 20 years. They’ve been on kids meal menus (at WDW and other places) for ages.

I prefer “homemade” PB&J but I absolutely keep a box of Aldi’s version in my chest freezer for days when I don’t have much time to make my kindergartener’s lunch.

I have not ever been so lazy or pressed for time as to not be able to throw together a PB&J. I have had these and they are nothing spectacular... And absurdly expensive per unit in comparison to a loaf of bread, and a jar of peanut butter, and a jar of jelly... And I can vary the type of ingredients for variety- cherry jam and chunky peanut butter, Nutella and peanut butter, honey roasted peanut butter and jalapeno jelly...

The ones the school I work in make for sale are much better in quality. If I am really pinched for time, I can grab lunch in the cafeteria at work.

I get it is for convenience, but honestly, it takes maybe four minutes to make a sandwich. I pack my lunch every day and never spend more than five minutes putting it together and putting it all away.

To each their own, I guess, but to me, it's not worth it. I don't buy a ton of prepackaged convenience foods at all anymore.

Yay you.

Many working parents, myself included, love the convenience of these for days when I’ve run out of lunch meat or was just too tired at night to prep my kid’s lunch for the next day. This was definitely not a product I bought when I was a single adult, that’s for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter