Smucker's premade "Uncrustables" sandwiches

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Anyone tried them? We saw something that said PB&J sandwiches at our local Six Flags park. We could use our dining plan credit on it, and thought maybe our kid might try it. Not much of a PB&J fan, and our kid didn't particularly like it because we've never really made any before. I didn't look too carefully at first and I thought that it looked like an empanada or a Jamaican style meat patty. Maybe like a large ravioli made with white bread.

Still - seems pretty interesting. I'm not sure how prevalent peanut butter is for school lunches given how many kids have peanut allergies. My kid isn't in a nut free classroom now, but was in the past. They don't seem to have any version that doesn't have peanuts or hazelnuts.
grape.png

My kids like them. I think they’re ok frozen, but otherwise they have too much peanut butter for me. I’d rather make my own.

Last edited:
Stupid question but why can’t people just make their own peanut butter and jelly sandwich? For fraction of the cost.

Convenience. Cleanup. Why pay for school lunches? Besides - they look kind of cool.

Convenience.

absolutely. when my kids were little (before the big nut free classroom push) they attended schools w/o cafeterias so we kept a small stash in the freezer to grab in a pinch for their lunches. also kept a hidden in the garage fridge stash of the greatly overpriced/crazy convenient lunchables for the same purpose.

best price we found on them was the big box at costco.

Anyone tried them? We saw something that said PB&J sandwiches at our local Six Flags park. We could use our dining plan credit on it, and thought maybe our kid might try it. Not much of a PB&J fan, and our kid didn't particularly like it because we've never really made any before. I didn't look too carefully at first and I thought that it looked like an empanada or a Jamaican style meat patty. Maybe like a large ravioli made with white bread.

Still - seems pretty interesting. I'm not sure how prevalent peanut butter is for school lunches given how many kids have peanut allergies. My kid isn't in a nut free classroom now, but was in the past. They don't seem to have any version that doesn't have peanuts or hazelnuts.
grape.png

Seriously? These have been around for nearly 20 years!

Disney started serving these long enough ago that my now 21yo was eating off the kids menus. All three of mine thought they were gross, which is kind of a shame because they certainly are easy and it would have been nice to be able to pack them for lunches, especially for the oldest who went to a school without microwaves in the lunch room.

I can see why theme parks serve them, though - no cross-contamination possibilities from having PB and utensils and cutting surfaces used for PB in the kitchens. It is all safely contained in that cellophane wrapper until it gets to the young diner's grubby little hand.

I've found them to be rather soggy and ridiculously small. My toddler can easily eat 2 along with other stuff for a meal, so the value of 1 uncrustable in a kids meal at Disney or elsewhere seems pretty poor.

A hospital near me stocks them in a cooler in the waiting room for families to grab if they need a snack. They also have fruit, granola bars, water, and coffee, all complimentary. I think that's a really nice gesture as the last thing most families think of when rushing someone to the ER is packing up snacks or pulling out cash for the vending machine.

They've been around forever. Not sure what the big deal is. They're kind of like the pb&j version of lunchables without the "sides." Lunchables are pre-made boxes with, for example, crackers, cheese, a piece of candy, etc., if you aren't familiar with them.

I think we tried Uncrustables once when our kids were young, but they didn't like them, even though they liked pb&j. Well, my son preferred (still does) pb and banana, but would eat the traditional pairing if that's all that was available. Lunchables were an occasional treat, but they aren't very healthy so I didn't buy them often.

Never tried them, but don't they get crushed really easy. I would think the crust on bread would add a little stability to a PB&J sandwich.

I wouldn't buy them for my kid's lunches, but when we go on our cruise in a couple months these are offered for room service and we will be ordering them to take ashore with us since they come pre-packaged. They're a convenience and good in a pinch, but at home I would rather just make my own sandwiches.

Never. I have my standards, and these do not meet them. My kids never have had them either, although lots of peanut butter sandwiches. They really do not care for the "jelly" in a PBJ. I can understand using them when you are away from home, but a PB sandwich is so easy to make. It's not like it's some complicated thing that requires a lot of technique. LOL.

These things have been around forever it seems!

My daughter liked them for awhile and took them for lunch but that only lasted a few weeks. Son has a peanut allergy so never an option.

I think they are great for convenience for like a field trip or something. They hold together a little better than a homemade PB&J but that's about it.

Pampered Chef had a tool that would crimp sandwiches like this so I would make them for DD before Smuckers came out with it. Never bought the Smuckers ones.

Don’t understand the convience. Takes me 5 secs to make a sandwich. No plastic waste. IMO fresh bread tastes tons better than frozen crap
Go to cabinet, get PB
Go to fridge, get jelly
Go to bread drawer, get bread
Open silverware drawer, get knife
Open bread
Get two slices
open PB
spread PB on one slice
Open jelly
spread jelly on other slice
Put bread together
Close jelly
Close PB
Close bread
Put PB, jelly, & bread away
Put sandwich in ziplock & lunch bag

You can do that all in 5 seconds? :thumbsup2

It's the same w/bottled water... convenience.

I stopped making lunches after DD told me I make gross lunches when she was in 4th grade. I told her she can make her own gross lunches for now on.

I buy the Uncrustables and leave them in the freezer. The kids like the strawberry ones. It saved me from them making a sticky mess every morning when they were younger, and the sandwiches are super portable. My older two kids were/are involved in a lot of sports and clubs in HS, so they are/were there from 6am-8pm some days and Uncrustables hold up better than a regular sandwich, so they bring them for snacks.

I would never buy one at an amusement park. They are like $.50 each when you buy a box of them. No way would I pay several dollars for one at 6 Flags. The ones sold at Costco are bigger than the ones in regular grocery stores.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter