Poll: Xmas gift for bus driver or teacher?

Do you give a Christmas gift to your child’s teacher and/or bus driver?

• Teacher only

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Bus driver only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • More than both

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Don’t gift

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters
Plus, what if your kid is in junior high and has six teachers a day? Plus lunch lady, plus principal, plus custodian plus plus plus. And, your have four kids? Out of control lol
I do understand what you're saying. But I think there's a difference between people who really truly like to gift and then the people who gift because it's expected.

I would feel differently if every person my child encountered (a hyperbole but along the same lines as what you were talking about) expected a gift for Christmas. I don't think the majority have that situation.

I'm sure kids brought their teachers gifts when I was a kid but my parents sure didn't send me off with gifts for teachers much less the bus driver. I don't even know for sure that my mom gave a gift for the in-home daycare providers I went to in elementary school (as my mom worked early). It never made me feel like my parents were cheapskates, etc. But if a kid is in a situation where that feeling is prominent that's an issue in my book. Gift or no gift doesn't mean you don't appreciate those who take care of your children. But giving a gift to those you appreciate for taking care of your children isn't an issue in my book either.

I can see if it's a school rule on homemade but otherwise I guess it would depend on what food items they were getting.

All my teachers over all my years of being in school absolutely clamoured for my mom's chocolate chip cookies. There was no throwing away ever.

So is the issue you know from teachers is that they don't like what the kids bring or they don't feel it's safe to eat what the kids bring?

It could be a regional thing. We moved to a smaller town than what we were use to and everyone here is more laid back and “old school”.

During trick or treating, I was surprised to see tables set out with Apple cider and homemade candy apples. No one batted an eye.

In a larger city, I could see people being leery about something like that.

It could be a regional thing. We moved to a smaller town than what we were use to and everyone here is more laid back and “old school”.

During trick or treating, I was surprised to see tables set out with Apple cider and homemade candy apples. No one batted an eye.

In a larger city, I could see people being leery about something like that.
Could be but IDK I live in a metro (straddles both state lines) with over 2 million people and I live in the most populous county in my state. I don't think growing up people were leery of it they def. weren't in my neck of the woods; bake sales, homemade treats from home all of that was totally normal.

I think it's a shift in things. Things like allergen concerns, food safety, etc seems like it's all become at the forefront of people's minds nowadays. Seriously reminds me of that PTA scene about ingredients from Bad Moms (youtube it if you don't know it) though of course that's an exaggeration lol. I do understand too if those aren't really concerns for some places but rather it's a "don't like what I've been gifted" situation.

Could be but IDK I live in a metro (straddles both state lines) with over 2 million people and I live in the most populous county in my state. I don't think growing up people were leery of it they def. weren't in my neck of the woods; bake sales, homemade treats from home all of that was totally normal.

I think it's a shift in things. Things like allergen concerns, food safety, etc seems like it's all become at the forefront of people's minds nowadays. Seriously reminds me of that PTA scene about ingredients from Bad Moms (youtube it if you don't know it) though of course that's an exaggeration lol. I do understand too if those aren't really concerns for some places but rather it's a "don't like what I've been gifted" situation.

Lol. I’ll have to watch the whole movie one day.

I think you’re right about the allergies. I was bummed at the thought of my kids not having celebrations at school for birthdays or holidays like I remember having in grade school. I think they might allow that here but times change.

The food rule is for allergens and food safety. Before the implemented the rule, a teacher at another school got special brownies if you know what I mean.

Through elementary school, we gave to the classroom teachers and the special educator assigned to DDs class but not her pull outs (reading intervention, speech etc) We also gave a smaller gift card to the bus driver, especially after she moved the bus stop to right in front of our house :-)

Once the kids reached middle school, we stopped all gifts.

Before the implemented the rule, a teacher at another school got special brownies if you know what I mean.
I think that's also something that has changed with time. Marijuana-laced food would not have been a big concern growing up because it was still very much taboo and accessibility to it different. It's not so much anymore and it's easier to get it especially in the place where it's legal for recreational usage. I don't know how much of a concern that is as a generality in comparison to allergens and food prep in terms of safety but that probably could depend on where you live.

Our school does a class group gift. If there are 2 teachers the class envelope has 2 cards. The parent rep leave is at the office, you ask the receptionist for you class envelope and sign your card (s) and put your $$ in. A gift card is then bought with funds.

Just curious... How many kids are in these classes where $30 each is the norm? DD has 28 kids in her 3rd grade class (standard at her school). That would be $560 for the teacher and $280 for the aide, plus any additional gifts. That just seems really high for a class gift.
Last year there were 20 kids in DD's grade 3 class. I like the envelope at the office because it keeps the "gift" somewhat anonymous. This year in a grade 4/5 split class there are 24. Some families can afford $30 others only $5. The teacher or anybody else in none the wiser as to who gave what. Then after Christmas the teacher (s) send out a thank you email to all the parents. Rinse and repeat in June. When DD was in grade 2 the class rep parent had each child hand make a tree ornament to attach to the card for the teacher.

They don't know how clean a persons house is or how they handle food.

I guess my colleagues and I like to live dangerously. Not only will most of us go ahead and eat a homemade gift, but each year one of the grades does a huge food festival related to their social studies curriculum, where each student (about 300 kids) brings in a dish. That grade's teachers send out an invitation to staff to join them, and believe me, very few decline.

I guess my colleagues and I like to live dangerously. Not only will most of us go ahead and eat a homemade gift, but each year one of the grades does a huge food festival related to their social studies curriculum, where each student (about 300 kids) brings in a dish. That grade's teachers send out an invitation to staff to join them, and believe me, very few decline.

The school my kids went to did this during the holidays. Each classroom for 2-4 grades would pick a country for "Christmas Around the World" and parents all sent in food for the kids to share from whatever country they did. The kids loved it and everyone (including the staff) enjoyed the food.

I have never known people to be so paranoid about food until I came on the Dis.

The last couple year's we've bought a Lands End canvas tote for teacher filled with classroom supplies. I figure it's win/win. They get the cute usable tote and then consumables for their classroom that they might have bought themselves or asked for later on. This year I've got Kleenex, Clorox Wipes and Lysol spray in the bags. We've done a small GC in the past too, but this year our teacher total doubled so I think we're going to leave that out. Kids will also make a card/note.

We used to do the class gift thing. $20 per kid, about 22 kids a class. As a room mom I hated asking parents for money. One year I gave my $20, and there was a “team” of teachers. I gave my $20 and then found out that there were 2 teachers that no one liked so they didn’t get much money collected for them. So without telling anyone until after, the room moms decided to take the money donated and split it up so each teacher got the same amount. I wasn’t happy. I, and the other parents wanted our money donated to go to our kids teacher.

That would never happen in our schools- you are not allowed to bring in homemade food for anyone other than your own kid. With all the kids with food allergies you can't bring in or share anything.

With two in middle school and two in elementary school this can get quite expensive! While I'd love to give out gift cards to all I can't always do that. It's must easier to go to Walmart and let the kids select a holiday candy in the $1-2 price range to gift each teacher. The girls share their orchestra teacher and the boys their speech pathologist so those may receive something different.

When I taught I enjoyed gift cards to restaurants (Starbucks, Chick-fil-a, really anywhere was appreciated!) and Target/Walmart.

My kids are in middle school and we get each teacher a $20 gift card to Publix. I used to worry about insulting giving a grocery gift card until someone gave me a Publix one and I wasn't offended at all, I love having $$$ off of my grocery bill! Who wouldn't? I don't think any teacher worries about receiving the 'perfect' gift from students and useful is better. It's not the same as buying a gift for your MIL (unfortunately). Mine don't take the bus but if they did they would get one too.
The nicest thank you note I have ever received was for a $5 gift card we gave to the preschool teacher's aide. It's nice to just remember the people who have a big impact on your kids everyday. Even a home made card is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter