Poll: Xmas gift for bus driver or teacher?

Do you give a Christmas gift to your child’s teacher and/or bus driver?

• Teacher only

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Bus driver only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • More than both

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Don’t gift

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

ramee

DIS Veteran
My child is in kindergarten. I thought it would be nice to show appreciation for all they do for my kid with a small gift. The teacher had mentioned in the beginning of the year on a get-to-know-you type sheet that she likes Starbucks. Easy. $20 Starbucks gift card? Not sure about bus driver, but maybe $10 gift card?

My husband says “No”. :sad2: Well sure, if $30 is going to break the bank :rolleyes:

What does everyone else typically do for this situation?

Yep, we do anyone who is kind and appreciates my kids. So homeroom teacher, the specialty ones like music, art, gym (they are often forgotten so really appreciate it), and the bus driver. Doesn't have to be much, we do $10 GC so they can treat themselves...

I gave every year to all teachers for my 5 kids preschool/elementary teachers, plus crossing guards, Christmas and end of year gifts (gift cards), $20 for teachers, $5 for crossing guards.

Gift cards which they can use. Starbucks, Target/wal-mart, even the local grocery store, or fast food.

Oh goodness. I did not think of all the other teachers...

That would be a lot of people and put us over “budget”.

Art
Music
Gym
Library
Computer
Speech
Classroom aides
Lunch ladies
Lunch aides

‘Tis the season to give. :scratchin

In elementary, absolutely, and including people like the librarians, car line, etc. Even if it's just a $5 Sonic card, they are so appreciative of being remembered, and they do so much for the kids without complaining.

If your husband is balking at the money, maybe have your kiddo make a nice card. Teachers I know say they really like hearing from the kids themselves, versus just getting 'stuff.' (Gift cards are the other thing they pretty much universally love.)

My wife is known for her baking, so our gift usually was a home baked item.
In the Public School District we live in gifts with any monetary value are forbidden under the districts ethics rules. I guess they want to avoid a situation where an allegation is made that a students grade suddenly increased after the parents gave the teacher a $100 Starbucks card.

In elementary, absolutely, and including people like the librarians, car line, etc. Even if it's just a $5 Sonic card, they are so appreciative of being remembered, and they do so much for the kids without complaining.

If your husband is balking at the money, maybe have your kiddo make a nice card. Teachers I know say they really like hearing from the kids themselves, versus just getting 'stuff.' (Gift cards are the other thing they pretty much universally love.)

Thank you!

My wife is known for her baking, so our gift usually was a home baked item.
In the Public School District we live in gifts with any monetary value are forbidden under the districts ethics rules. I guess they want to avoid a situation where an allegation is made that a students grade suddenly increased after the parents gave the teacher a $100 Starbucks card.

Lol.

I like to bake, as well. That’s on my radar.

I’m a teacher, and I first want to say that nobody expects a gift. A kind note is what I especially treasure. To be thanked and recognized as going above is always appreciated. I have three kids (two are in middle school). My older kids choose one or two teachers that they especially connect with and I buy for them. I do give the bus driver a gift. If my youngest mentions the art, music or gym teachers, I buy for them but otherwise I generally just buy for his main teacher. For those who are worried about costs but want to do something, school supplies (dry erase markers, glue sticks, Clorox wipes) or things for the classroom are always appreciated and won’t break the bank. You could also bring in two boxes of donuts for the staff to thank everyone as well. Appreciated, acknowledging everyone, and under $20.

Last edited:
We always did teacher and bus driver when the kids were in elementary school.

High school since there was more teachers I asked the kids which teacher or teachers they wanted to give to. Sometimes that was none but always the bus driver. They had the same one all 4 years. He got one at the end of the year as well with a thank you note. Last year was my daughters last year and wrote him a beautiful thank you note for getting her safety to school each day. He was so touched. They have a tough job.

When my oldest was in kindergarten, she had a new teacher. I put together a huge basket of supplies for the classroom, she seemed to love it. After that, I got lazy and just did gc’s.

In elementary we did teacher and bus driver gifts.
Once they hit middle school we stopped all together because they had so many teachers.
My youngest is still in HS and I'm thinking of getting the bus driver something because he lets my ds off at the house which isn't a regular stop.

I gave gifts to classroom teachers and others in the school. My husband had no input on things like that. I just took care of it.

Lol. He said next time, don’t tell him and just buy what I want.

I should have known, but I just can’t help myself to want to communicate with my husband sometimes. :rolleyes2

When DD was in school we did her main classroom teacher only. She didn't have a bus driver, so no worries there.

When I was teaching I never expected anything, but I was always happy to have a gift card to DunkinDonuts or Starbucks, even if only for $5. That's enough for me to get a calorie-laden yummy coffee that I couldn't otherwise justify if I was paying OOP, hahaha! If you are worried about all the other teachers, I am a fan of "something" for the teachers' room. It's always nice to go in and find some treat- Munchkins, cookie tray/veggie tray/fruit tray from Sam's, big bag of mini-chocolate treats (Hershey mini kisses, for example), whatever. It doesn't have to be much of anything at all... teachers and staff just like feeling appreciated, and a little snack always brightens my day!

I’m a teacher, and I first want to say that nobody expects a gift. A kind note is what I especially treasure. To be thanked and recognized as going above is always appreciated. I have three kids (two are in middle school). My older kids choose one or two teachers that they especially connect with and I buy for them. I do give the bus driver a gift. If my youngest mentions the art, music or gym teachers, I buy for them but otherwise I generally just buy for his main teacher. For those who are worried about costs but want to do something, school supplies (dry erase markers, glue sticks, Clorox wipes) or things for the classroom are always appreciated and won’t break the bank. You could also bring in two boxes of donuts for the staff to thank everyone as well. Appreciated, acknowledging everyone, and under $20.

When my oldest was in kindergarten, she had a new teacher. I put together a huge basket of supplies for the classroom, she seemed to love it. After that, I got lazy and just did gc’s.

I like the supplies idea, too! The teacher just mentioned in the weekly newsletter that paper towels and Clorox wipes would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your input! The wheels are turning and we’ll come up with something. I have a few ideas, now. Will definitely get my kid involved to personalize whatever we decide on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter