Poll: Xmas gift for bus driver or teacher?

Do you give a Christmas gift to your child’s teacher and/or bus driver?

• Teacher only

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Bus driver only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • More than both

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Don’t gift

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters
I chose more than both. My kids never rode the bus but I gave to everyone who helped them through the day in my place so I would have included the bus driver had they ridden.

As a teacher, Kudos for giving gift cards. I appreciate every gift but after 22 years, I am overrun with mugs and such.

Weird that there’s no ‘no’ option.

This is not a thing in my area.. @ronandannette did you tip everyone when your son was in school?

Oh goodness. I did not think of all the other teachers...

That would be a lot of people and put us over “budget”.

Art
Music
Gym
Library
Computer
Speech
Classroom aides
Lunch ladies
Lunch aides

‘Tis the season to give. :scratchin

I always gave the main teacher who my kids were with all day every day a $20-25 gift card. All the specials, I usually did a $5 Starbucks card unless DD really loved them and then I did $10. She would write everyone a card.

I do remember once buying Bath and Body Works hand soaps and giving them with a bow tied around the bottle.

A cookie tray for the lounge is a great idea too to keep the cost down while thanking everyone. The only problem is that some may not ever see it or read the card.

We contribute to teachers, drivers, bin men, all those who make our lives that little bit more cushy :)

Do you also tip grocery baggers, your minister (if you’re religious), or the street sweeper? They all make life easier, no?

This is not a thing in my area.. @ronandannette did you tip everyone when your son was in school?

I’m curious why no one one gifts teachers in your area? Do the schools specifically ask parents not to?

I do see why it could be seen as a “tip”. Giving them more than what they are already getting for doing their job. I just think it’s a nice gesture to be acknowledged around the holidays in general.

But I do feel giving at Christmas, even just to my family, is more of an obligation than anything else. It’s expected. Happy to read that teachers don’t usually expect it though and it would be seen as thoughtful if they received a gift.

Do you also tip grocery baggers, your minister (if you’re religious), or the street sweeper? They all make life easier, no?
A lot of folks here gift their hairdressers at Christmas, or anyone they regularly get services from. Babysitters and cleaning ladies, too. Most people I know gift teachers, and even collect money for a gift from the class. Maybe it’s a US thing, but I believe it’s the norm.

One thing I have become of aware of DIS is the wide difference in teacher salaries in our nation. So I can see a monetary gift being more acceptable in areas with below average teacher salaries.

A lot of folks here gift their hairdressers at Christmas, or anyone they regularly get services from. Babysitters and cleaning ladies, too. Most people I know gift teachers, and even collect money for a gift from the class. Maybe it’s a US thing, but I believe it’s the norm.

So what about the person you see in the deli section of your store on a regular basis? I assume you’d see a minister, or priest, or whomever on a regular basis too. Where’s the line?

So what about the person you see in the deli section of your store on a regular basis? I assume you’d see a minister, or priest, or whomever on a regular basis too. Where’s the line?
Well, I’ve never heard of anyone gifting the deli guy, but I’d expect to give a gift to my priest if we had a close relationship. Teachers spend a tremendous amount of time with our children, so parents give them gifts. As you can see from the poll, you are in the minority on this issue.

One thing I have become of aware of DIS is the wide difference in teacher salaries in our nation. So I can see a monetary gift being more acceptable in areas with below average teacher salaries.
Well, teachers here start at around $45,000 and go up to six figures, plus have pretty decent benefits packages.

My child is in kindergarten. I thought it would be nice to show appreciation for all they do for my kid with a small gift. The teacher had mentioned in the beginning of the year on a get-to-know-you type sheet that she likes Starbucks. Easy. $20 Starbucks gift card? Not sure about bus driver, but maybe $10 gift card?

My husband says “No”. :sad2: Well sure, if $30 is going to break the bank :rolleyes:

What does everyone else typically do for this situation?

We had a cute idea.from a friend that worked well last year for all those "should I" gifts, it was a $2 scratchie with some chocolate coins and a little note that said I won the lottery getting you as my....insert bus driver
Barely costs anything but gives some thanks

Giving teachers gifts is not new or giving to bus drivers, crossing guards , I’m in my 50’s and remember giving my teacher bubble bath...lol

Well, teachers here start at around $45,000 and go up to six figures, plus have pretty decent benefits packages.
Yes, the district I live in has a strong union. Starting pay is $46,561, top scale after 20 years is $94,014 for a 9 month contract. There I stipends for those who also coach sports, lead the band or choir and teaching one or two of the summer school sessions. I believe those are $5,000 each.

Early elementary we did handcrafted teacher gifts (sachets) and a note card to teach our kids the art of thanking people.

But after the state fight between the state employees (dh was a state employee) and teachers over pay, we stopped.

Teachers salaries are a political tool here and other state employees don't get raises they deserve and teachers got raises, instead.

No one gifted dh extra gift cards at Christmas for doing his job...

So we stopped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter