Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2019

You kids kill me! I'll be 50 in two months, so 40 isn't close to old! And I'm going to celebrate turning 50 by running the Richmond Marathon again this year for the 7th time. I always think of this quote when I think about my age:

"You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.”

― Christopher McDougall,
I love this and totally agree!
I only STARTED running at 42, and this year I celebrated turning 50 by "running" a 50 miler and I am considering it again since I'll still be 50 next spring when it comes around again . You are only as old as you think you are. I did see some fall off in my pace these last few years but I'm still way faster than my fellow half-centenarians who don't run.
I ran my first 5K at 44 and just hit 48, and now I'm doing all the runDisney challenges this year. I definitely feel younger now than I did before running.
Though there may be some days my legs disagree with that thought...

Add me to the list of late bloomers. I didn't start running until 45 and I'll be 50 next year. Always thought running was boring. I have no idea where on the performance curve I am. Some days I feel like I'm still improving. Others, I feel like I'm losing capability with passing time. Who knows?

I love this and totally agree!
I only STARTED running at 42, and this year I celebrated turning 50 by "running" a 50 miler and I am considering it again since I'll still be 50 next spring when it comes around again . You are only as old as you think you are. I did see some fall off in my pace these last few years but I'm still way faster than my fellow half-centenarians who don't run.

The 50's are a great decade in my opinion. Still young enough to do most anything - as long as you don't pretend you are 18 while doing it - but now with the time and wisdom to do it right. When I was 50 I decided to train for the Disney Marathon, with the idea that I wasn't ready to be old. It turned out to be a great experience, and I've run 6 more marathons since. Now 56, the arthritis I've had since my 40's is catching up to me and my marathon days are over, but I still run 10k's and maybe can do a half marathon.

When you are young you can get away with being sedentary and not taking care of yourself. In your 50's, you can still be young but you can't neglect your health. A sedentary lifestyle and bad eating will make you old in a hurry.

After spending some time on Batuu and Toy Story Land, I can totally see us running thru both. I wouldn't hedge any bets on running past the Falcon for the Wine & Dine though. But the tunnel entrance off of Grand Street (near the Muppet-Vision 3D) would be a great throw back to the old costuming tunnel before they started tearing apart the Studios....
Disco lights!

Random question from a newbie, i'll be starting in one of the last tiers and half walking/ half running (i'm averaging 13.5 mins a mile), in the later tiers is it common for everyone to run from the get go then walk later? Because the opposite works better for me but if they tell us go and everyone around me is running i can't help but think i'll get swept up in the excitment and want to run too, if that's the case i'd rather add it into my training to run for a bit a the start (i'm just talking maybe the first mile).. i hope that made scence!

Random question from a newbie, i'll be starting in one of the last tiers and half walking/ half running (i'm averaging 13.5 mins a mile), in the later tiers is it common for everyone to run from the get go then walk later? Because the opposite works better for me but if they tell us go and everyone around me is running i can't help but think i'll get swept up in the excitment and want to run too, if that's the case i'd rather add it into my training to run for a bit a the start (i'm just talking maybe the first mile).. i hope that made scence!
In all of the races I've ever done, even starting in the last corrals, all the people seem to run right out of the gate (not including the walk UP to the actual start line). I'm sure there are walkers and maybe some of them will chime in. For me the start is one of the hardest parts of a race, sticking to my pace out of the gate and not going out too fast! I am like you, I always start my runs with a 1/4 mile walk warmup. BUT I've always started all my races running. If it's a short race that I'm running for time, I try to do a lot of warming up standing in place in the corral (knee lifts, walking in place, etc) but for the half, I just start out running easy and then take my walk break when the congestion clears enough. There are definitely walkers in the race, so you WILL be able to walk when you need to. I would just get clear of the start line archway. But you're right about the excitement - you'll probably end up running. I can't remember the "new" wine & dine course, but I would say that you won't need to wait a mile to walk unless that's what you want. You should have space to walk sooner than that if you want to.

I'm a run/walker and I do agree that mostly people run more at the beginning. That's somewhat because it's more crowded and can be difficult to adjust your pace without causing interference with others around you. We will often run more out of the gate but we just run slower. I'd say though that it's easy to start taking walk breaks though within the first mile. That said, there are plenty of run/walkers (Jeff Galloway is the official trainer after all), and plenty of people who take their walk breaks right from the start. You run YOUR race and don't let others or the excitement of the moment force you to do something you don't want/shouldn't do. As long as you are cautious about your pace changes and stay aware of those around you, you should be able to run your race the way you want. Be sure you signal pace changes and if you are running with other people never walk more than 2 across in crowded portions of the race. Otherwise, you'll be fine and have fun!

As previous posters have said, run your race. Try to use common sense and courtesy.
I usually hang towards the back of my wave as I also prefer to start out slow and steady and not in a sprint.

As you get ready to begin your walk break, make sure you are near the curb, raise your hand, and get out of the way. I am also a run/walker, and it drives me nuts to see three people abreast in the middle of the road just stop running. It creates chaos behind them and a less than Disney experience. That may sound a bit direct, but in the end it all gets worked out if you don't let it bother you for more than a second or two.

Now for the people who feel the need to run along the curb and in the grass....well they have their own issues.

Thanks all for the responses and advice :) nice to know there will be some room to slow down before the first mile, i really do much better walking first then running later, i'll be trying to be very conscious of keeping clear of others, since after the first 30 minutes i switch between running and walking very frequently

International Gateway at EPCOT looks as though it will be able to handle runDisney traffic without construction hazards. Bringing back the familiar from the old days. LOL Just wondering how runDisney will handle the front of EPCOT park. Can't wait to see course maps!

International Gateway at EPCOT looks as though it will be able to handle runDisney traffic without construction hazards. Bringing back the familiar from the old days. LOL Just wondering how runDisney will handle the front of EPCOT park. Can't wait to see course maps!
I wish 10k Saturday wasn’t the last day for Studios opening at 6am cause I’d love 2017’s course back

I'm seriously considering dropping out of the 10k. I'd have to pay for Kids Nite Out which is money I could spend in the parks. I undertrained and overstressed. There ate several other factors at play as well. It may come down to seeing the course maps to make my final decision, but I'm kind of leaning that way. I'm still in for the 5k with my DD, and we have trained for that. But I'm just so bummed overall. 😔

I'm seriously considering dropping out of the 10k. I'd have to pay for Kids Nite Out which is money I could spend in the parks. I undertrained and overstressed. There ate several other factors at play as well. It may come down to seeing the course maps to make my final decision, but I'm kind of leaning that way. I'm still in for the 5k with my DD, and we have trained for that. But I'm just so bummed overall. 😔
That sucks. I hope you can figure it out. Sending positive thoughts!

I apologize if this has been asked, but any speculation on next years date? With Halloween falling on Saturday Id assume it will be Nov. 5-8. Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter