"Official" 2019 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Frightfully Festive Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, after catching up on all the posts here and watching a live stream from the first party on Friday, I think I'm ready to attempt a schedule. This is our first Halloween party, and I'm planning for 8 people so feedback is very, very welcome! Our party date is October 1.

Our top priorities are the Hocus Pocus stage show, the parade, fireworks, seeing the Haunted Mansion characters, and seeing the Cadaver Dans.

3:30p - Arrive at MK

3:45-4:00p - Enter MK, head to Fire Station to collect SotMK card then walk down bypass for first trick or treating

4:00-4:30p - Head to our 'it's a small world' FP+ (FP time is 3:15-4:15)

4:30-5:15p - Big Thunder Mountain FP+ (FP time 4:20-5:20)

5:15-6:00p - Haunted Mansion FP+ (FP time 5:25-6:00)

6:00-6:45p - Find something to eat for dinner, probably at Pecos Bill's

7:00p - See the Cadaver Dans in Frontierland

7:20p - Get a party treat at Sleepy Hollow and carry to Hub to eat and get a spot for Hocus Pocus

7:40-8:10p - Hocus Pocus Show

8:30p - Be back in Frontierland to catch the Costume Promenade and start staking out a spot for the parade

9:10-9:40p - Headless Horseman and Boo To You Parade

9:40p - Stake out a fireworks spot in the Hub and take turns (2 or 3 at a time) going to ride Pirates or get treats

10:45p - Walk up to HM to see Carlotta & Renata

11:00p - 12:00a - Ride some rides and do some trick-or-treating

Does this seem good? Am I being too paranoid and providing too much cushion in between things? Writing it all out doesn't seem like we are doing very much and we don't make it to Fantasyland or Tomorrowland at all. I am nervous with us being such a big group and the potential for it being a crowded party. But I am also worried that the people in my group are going to want to ride more things and spend less time waiting around for good spots. The earlier parade is a must for us because my daughter is only 5 and I know she will enjoy it. I'm afraid she will probably pass out in the stroller after the fireworks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no DAS at the party. This is why we will sadly be skipping most of the characters.

DAS is never any help with most characters, so that doesn't bother us. But we do notice the lack of FP/DAS with the rides. We waited in longer ride lines during the party than at any other time during our ten-day stay.

Quick check-in to thank everyone who has posted reviews - good and bad. I am tying to make a decision about whether we want to attend the party and these reviews are *super* helpful. Thank you!
Just got back from the party. A few thoughts.
Finally back in the room.
Had a good time last night overall. Def seemed fairly crowded.
Man, that was crowded.
quick review of what I did:
I was covering the media event, so this is what I was able to experience,
My final thoughts:
-I know that crowds are perception but it felt really crowded to me compared to the 2015 one we attended last.
To the person asking about how crowded the plaza dessert party was since there was no “after” crowd - it was CROWDED.
I found the party to be very crowded!
Here’s my experience of cruella add on. Just got home after a overnight flight so apologies in advance for typos. For my family it was worth it.
Waiting to board our flight home. Here is my review.
A few more comments from the first party

A detailed Tony’s review with lots of pics and event logistics commentary, if so inclined. FYI.
Those pics! :rotfl2: And the comments!:rotfl2:
Why does the buffet look like it was hit by a bomb?
Looks like they have same buffet designer and maintainer as Chef Mickey’s.
it's like if you went to a 2-star cici's pizza
“And don’t go getting cheap on me” — Cousin Eddie

We’re their any cool photo ops this year that’s new? I think someone said you can get photos with the grave diggers? That’s awesome if so.

I’m big into photos and memories stuff

You can see all that's being offered on the Magic Shot thread and it includes specific locations as they come in. LINK

Okay after seeing videos of the first party I have decided we (adults only) only care for the Parade and Fireworks and the rest of the time devoted to rides. With that being said which parade would be best to attend for easy ride access? We do not need to have the "perfect spot" just one where we can see the floats go by. I know the second parade is much less crowded, but wouldn't the ride wait times be better during this parade as well?

Now you're thinking! ::yes:: Watch the first parade from Frontierland, you need to get there at least 45 min. to an hour and this will not be front row! Then cut through Adventureland moving towards the hub immediately after to see the fireworks. Remember position yourself to the closest walkway of your next ride. After the fireworks make a beeline for your ride. ;)

Ok, after catching up on all the posts here and watching a live stream from the first party on Friday, I think I'm ready to attempt a schedule. This is our first Halloween party, and I'm planning for 8 people so feedback is very, very welcome! Our party date is October 1.

Our top priorities are the Hocus Pocus stage show, the parade, fireworks, seeing the Haunted Mansion characters, and seeing the Cadaver Dans.

3:30p - Arrive at MK

3:45-4:00p - Enter MK, head to Fire Station to collect SotMK card (can we bypass going down the bypass when we first enter (haha) or will we have to circle back down Main Street?

4:00-4:30p - Head to our 'it's a small world' FP+ (FP time is 3:15-4:15)

4:30-5:15p - Big Thunder Mountain FP+ (FP time 4:20-5:20)

5:15-6:00p - Haunted Mansion FP+ (FP time 5:25-6:00)

6:00-6:45p - Find something to eat for dinner, probably at Pecos Bill's

7:00p - See the Cadaver Dans in Frontierland

7:20p - Get a party treat at Sleepy Hollow and carry to Hub to eat and get a spot for Hocus Pocus

7:40-8:10p - Hocus Pocus Show

8:30p - Be back in Frontierland to catch the Costume Promenade and start staking out a spot for the parade

9:10-9:40p - Headless Horseman and Boo To You Parade

9:40p - Stake out a fireworks spot in the Hub and take turns (2 or 3 at a time) going to ride Pirates or get treats

10:45p - Walk up to HM to see Carlotta & Renata

11:00p - 12:00a - Ride some rides and do some trick-or-treating

Does this seem good? Am I being too paranoid and providing too much cushion in between things? Writing it all out doesn't seem like we are doing very much and we don't make it to Fantasyland or Tomorrowland at all. I am nervous with us being such a big group and the potential for it being a crowded party. But I am also worried that the people in my group are going to want to ride more things and spend less time waiting around for good spots. The earlier parade is a must for us because my daughter is only 5 and I know she will enjoy it. I'm afraid she will probably pass out in the stroller after the fireworks.

Impressive! You did your homework! Plan looks great, 8:30 should be okay depending on crowds, to be front row you need a solid hour+15-20 minutes.

Impressive! You did your homework! Plan looks great, 8:30 should be okay depending on crowds, to be front row you need a solid hour+15-20 minutes.

Thank you! Good to know about the parade, we have some tall people so we don't have to all be front row, but I know my sister, my daughter, and I will want that as the shorties in the group. We'll plan to head to find a spot right after the Hocus Pocus show, hopefully near the spot the costume promenade happens so we can do that as well. Thanks for your input!

Okay, here is my advice based on attending the first party of 2019:

1) This year, the party map tells where the trick-or-treat locations are. That is a major improvement over last year. It still does not tell which characters meet where. Keep in mind that parts of the Magic Kingdom will be pretty dark after sunset. As you walk around, it will be too dark to look at the map. I suggest creating a note in your phone, because you will be able to see your phone in the dark. I did it by Land, and listed the trick-or-treat locations, characters, and special party food that I wanted to try for each land. Do this before the party.

2) After you go through the turnstiles, you will get in a line to get your party wristband. Take a second to watch the lines. Some cast members are faster at attaching the wrist bands than others.

3) In general, there are different types of paper wristbands. For the party this year, they are using the type which have holes and a snap. The cast member has to decide which hole to use, so that it is not too loose or too tight. If you have a small wrist, they are supposed to loop over the excess part of the wrist band before they snap it. My cast member was obviously new to this. He did not loop over the excess before he snapped it. There was a very long tail. I found another cast member and complained. He asked if I wanted a new wrist band or if I just wanted him to cut off the tail with scissors. I said cut off the tail. (Why is this important? If there is a long paper tail hanging off your wrist, it might fall into things, or brush up against things.) (Okay, let's be serious. You could have an issue in the bathroom.) So when you first raise your arm, tell the cast member that you want them to loop up the extra before snapping the band in place.

4) The Disability cards (I think they are called DAS) will not work during the party. The way they normally work involves allowing you to enter through the Fastpass line. There are no fastpass lines at the party. I overheard a guest talking to a cast member near one of the character lines. A different cast member had told the guest that the DAS would work. The cast member had to tell them that the prior cast member had been mis-informed. However, this cast member was going to call over a supervisor to see what they could do to help the guest.

5) There are cast members handing out the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card OUTSIDE the fire station. I didn't notice them and walked into the fire station. There was a line in there. I asked the last person in line if that was where we get the cards; he directed me back outside.

6) After you get your wristband and Sorcerer's card, pick up a party map in the stand where the maps normally are.

7) The Bypass is over on the right. There are some photo ops there. No Magic Shots.
a) Hold up a frame.
b) Stand by a statute
c) I think there was one more but I didn't pay attention.

8) There were two or three merch carts in the Bypass area. Somebody here asked if you could use the AP discount. I assume so, but I didn't buy anything so I don't know.

9) If you want to try the wedding cake, which is sold at a popcorn cart in Liberty Square:
a) It comes in a plastic dome container so you can carry it somewhere
b) But it will melt fast so buy it when you plan to eat it
c) You need a piece of silverware to eat it. They have spoons but didn't have them out. Don't forget to ask for one.
d) Good luck finding a place nearby to sit down to eat it.

10) Nobody will listen to me about the fireworks, but I will say it anyway.
The fireworks are shot off between Splash Mountain and the Castle.
I waited until 5 minutes before the fireworks started, then walked over to a little path across from Pecos Bills. I stood next to the rail over the water, facing the Magic Kingdom.
Nobody in front of me, nobody behind me.
Perfect if you are claustrophobic, and no standing around trying to hold the perfect space.
I could tell that there were projections on the castle but I couldn't see them. Maybe if I had stronger glasses on I might have been able to see them.
If the castle was in the 12:00 position, the fireworks were at 9:00, 10:00, 11:00 and 12:00.
I was very happy with this spot.
But I know everybody is going to ignore me and cram themselves into the hub like sardines.

11) Columbia Harbour House closes at 8:00 so don't plan to eat there later than that.

12) There are 3 Magic Shots near the Haunted Mansion. Don't waste your time standing in line for these. Mine came out pretty bad, very bad, and awful. As you approach the mansion, the first shot on your left has you sitting on a stool. They will put your head in a frame in the shot. That was pretty bad. The next one has you standing near a wall. They put a ghost behind you but you couldn't tell it was a ghost, so that was very bad. After dark, near a wall on your right they let you hold the lantern. That was awful. The photo was so dark you couldn't even tell it was me.

13) The seven dwarfs line:
At 6:30 pm the line was 2 hours long.
The line was closed at 11:00 pm. I think that means that it was an hour long at that point, and they closed it because there was an hour left in the party.

14) The Elvis Stitch line:
At 11:30 pm they were getting ready to close it because it was 30 minutes long and there were 30 minutes left in the party.

15) There are 2 Magic Shots on Main Street:
a) You position your hand like you are holding a poison apple over a cauldron.
b) You position your hand like you have a jack-o-lantern sitting on it.
The photographer was able to do both. Unfortunately, they only took one photo in each position, and my eyes were closed in one of them. If, like me, you tend to have your eyes closed in pictures, ask them to take more than one.

16) Trick-or-Treat info:
a) Carousel of Progress gives out GoGo Squeeze applesauce. It is cold. I think it would get all the candy wrappers wet with condensation. If you want it, take a quart or sandwich size zip loc bag for it.
b) Mickey's Philharmagic: there are 2 candy stops. You can sit and watch movies if your feet hurt. You don't have to stay, you can walk right through if you prefer.
c) Monsters Inc.: there are 2 candy stops. You can sit and watch/participate in the interactive show if your feet hurt. It is like Turtle Talk with Crush, where the character asks questions of the audience members. You don't have to stay, you can walk right through if you prefer.
d) Pinocchio's Villauge Haus: 2 candy stops.
e) Railroad Station in Fantasyland: 2 candy stops.

17) The candy bags they give you are very small, and smell like a new shower curtain. Take your own bag. A reusable grocery bag would work. They sell these in the gift shops if you didn't bring one from home.

18) Bring a jumbo (2.5 gallon) zip loc bag or several gallon size zip loc bags to hold your candy inside your treat bag. If it rains, or you go on a ride where you will get wet, it keeps your candy dry.

Candy report will be a separate post.

Last edited:
Candy report! I did every trick or treat stop at the first party. I had a jumbo size (2.5 gallon) zip loc bag inside a tote bag. It was crammed full. I received:

GoGo Squeeze applesauce: 1

Starburst original : 13
Starburst Duos: 9
Starburst FaveReds: 16
Starburst Mini Originals: 3
Lifesavers Gummies Big Ring: 37
Skittles Sour: 3
Skittles Wild Berry: 10
Skittles Original: 17

M&Ms milk chocolate: 16
M&Ms hazelnut spread: 1
M&Ms peanut butter: 5
M&M's caramel: 2
M&M's peanut: 5

Dove milk chocolate: 8
Twix: 19
Milky Way: 11
Twix White: 1
3 Muskateers: 6
3 Muskateers birthday cake: 1
Snickers bite size, original type: 5
Snixers fun size, original type: 3
Snickers peanut butter: 5
Snickers peanut butter full size: 1
Snickers Crisper: 5

We are attending the 8/30 MNSSHP and I am sure it is going to be absolutely packed! This is our first party. There are 4 of us, all adults/young adult. We are primarily focussing on rides and just general atmosphere. Would like to see the fireworks and thinking we will do the 2nd parade. We are arriving around 6:30/7:00pm.
Would love a few suggestions:
1. Planning to head over to fireworks at 9:50. Does that sound about right? Or what time should we head there?
2. Would love a couple of suggestions on where to stand for fireworks.
3. What time does the 2nd parade start?
4. Would love a couple of suggestions on viewing spots for 2nd parade. Don't need to be front row but would like to have decent views

What time do they start the bypass? Do they hand out candy right away?

My apologies if this has already been addressed!

3:45-4:00p - Enter MK, head to Fire Station to collect SotMK card (can we bypass going down the bypass when we first enter (haha) or will we have to circle back down Main Street?

I wanted to double check something before answering this last part.

Once you get your party wristbands on you are free to go in what ever direction you choose. So yes, you can by pass the Bypass. CM's will try to point you towards the Bypass but they will never force you.

You can always pick up both treat bags and packaged treat bags at the 3 main Wristband Distribution Locations as well which are in bold:

Wristbands can be picked up at:
the front of the park (as you enter) via Bypass
inside the Chamber of Commerce building on Main Street
near Buzz Lightyear
outside of Mickey's Philharmagic

Guest Relations window in Liberty Square
near Tortuga Tavern - I believe it's across PoC

What time do they start the bypass? Do they hand out candy right away?

My apologies if this has already been addressed!

It opens at 4pm or when they let party guests in. Yes, both bags are available and the pre bagged treats.

I wanted to double check something before answering this last part.

Once you get your party wristbands on you are free to go in what ever direction you choose. So yes, you can by pass the Bypass. CM's will try to point you towards the Bypass but they will never force you.

You can always pick up both treat bags and packaged treat bags at the 3 main Wristband Distribution Locations as well which are in bold:

Wristbands can be picked up at:
the front of the park (as you enter) via Bypass
inside the Chamber of Commerce building on Main Street
near Buzz Lightyear
outside of Mickey's Philharmagic

Guest Relations window in Liberty Square
near Tortuga Tavern - I believe it's across PoC

Thanks again! If we can bypass the Bypass initially, I fully intend to go down it, just after getting the SotMK card. I just didn't want to have to loop back down to the beginning of Main Street if we didn't have to! But the Mickey's Philharmagic location will be a good back-up for us if we have to get moving to our Small World FP.

Just to be clear - you don't get your party wristband at the Bypass. As soon as you go through the turnstile, you walk a few feet ahead and castmembers are passing out wristbands there. You can then walk to the left to get a Sorcerer's card OR walk straight ahead to get a party map OR walk ahead and to the right to go through the Baypass. Or, like me, do all of them in that order.

Thanks again! If we can bypass the Bypass initially, I fully intend to go down it, just after getting the SotMK card. I just didn't want to have to loop back down to the beginning of Main Street if we didn't have to! But the Mickey's Philharmagic location will be a good back-up for us if we have to get moving to our Small World FP.

I would avoid it early on due to the crowds but that's just me. It moves quickly but it does take up time.

For those planning on going through to enjoy all the offerings, you need to allow at least 15-20 minutes depending on crowd level.

For whoever asked about lining up for Moana and getting wristbands.....our family of 4 lined up a little before 4 last year. Then we took turns, 2 at a time, to go get our wristbands at the location next to Tortuga Tavern. It’s right around the corner, not far at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter