Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

To me the issue with the hand up etc is that you're relying on runners to know what run/walk etiquette is. And full on runners don't always know (or care).

Calling out "walking" is great for those in front of you (where the sound of your voice is going) or next to you, but it doesn't necessarily help those behind you. Most of the runs I've experienced at WDW are loud and someone saying words in front isn't necessarily something that can be heard.

Honestly those beepers are the best thing for those around you, because they can be heard! And unlike words that can't be heard or understood, or a hand up that can mean something else, it means one thing (pace change) and that thing is easy to figure out quickly. :)

I walk/run but I haven't read Galloway. I found the the best thing is to look look and look. I don't rely on others to know things about MY practice. I look around even when starting a faster pace because you don't know when someone has just started to make a move around you, and even that can cause quick moves from the runner behind. :)

I remember my shoulders were SO sore from turning my head...

:eek: Now another thing to worry about! ;)
No - I'm sure it's going to be a mild winter so I will have plenty of opportunity to train outdoors! :rotfl2: :cold:

I'll see you on the plane!
I sure hope so! I love to run outside! The treadmill is so boring! We deserve a mild winter with no snow after last winter! :cool2:

To me the issue with the hand up etc is that you're relying on runners to know what run/walk etiquette is. And full on runners don't always know (or care).

Calling out "walking" is great for those in front of you (where the sound of your voice is going) or next to you, but it doesn't necessarily help those behind you. Most of the runs I've experienced at WDW are loud and someone saying words in front isn't necessarily something that can be heard.

Honestly those beepers are the best thing for those around you, because they can be heard! And unlike words that can't be heard or understood, or a hand up that can mean something else, it means one thing (pace change) and that thing is easy to figure out quickly. :)

I walk/run but I haven't read Galloway. I found the the best thing is to look look and look. I don't rely on others to know things about MY practice. I look around even when starting a faster pace because you don't know when someone has just started to make a move around you, and even that can cause quick moves from the runner behind. :)

I remember my shoulders were SO sore from turning my head...

Are there a lot of people who walk these races? Do they stay to the right or...?

Quick question- would you guys say that it would be better to stay at Boardwalk for the races or a monorail resort (Poly, GVF, Bay Lake)?
I've stayed at Beach Club, Boardwalk and the Grand Floridian for race weekends. If money were no object I'd stay at the Grand Floridian or the Poly, just because having the monorail to get to the race starts is really nice. Having said that, the Epcot Resort area is my favorite area in WDW, and the bus rides from those resorts to the race start are very short. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Are there a lot of people who walk these races? Do they stay to the right or...?
There are lots of walkers, yes. This race is VERY beginner-friendly, which is good and bad - good because it's a fun, supportive environment for newer runners, but not-so-good because newer runners do not know proper race etiquette (i.e. staying to the side when walking). And that is not me trying to put anyone down in any way, just a fact. :)

I find that the worst walkers are the groups that stretch out across the entire running path and do not move no matter how many times you alert them you are coming up behind. I had to go off the course a few times to get around them.

Those of you with interval timers – how loud do they beep and how strong do they vibrate? If wearing earbuds is it loud enough for you to hear? I’m interested in one, but am curious if I’ll notice the warnings or not. :)

I find that the worst walkers are the groups that stretch out across the entire running path and do not move no matter how many times you alert them you are coming up behind. I had to go off the course a few times to get around them.

Do the walkers start in the earlier corrals though? I'd think maybe starting in the first 5 corrals would make sense for people running the race straight through, and then the walkers would all sort of be starting and continuing later anyway?

I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm casting any aspersions on walkers, by the way, I'm totally cool if people want to walk. I've just never participated in a race with so many walkers, as all of my past races have been pretty much only runners.

Those of you with interval timers – how loud do they beep and how strong do they vibrate? If wearing earbuds is it loud enough for you to hear? I’m interested in one, but am curious if I’ll notice the warnings or not. :)
I never use the vibrate feature. The beeping is pretty loud...

...I'll be the stick in the mud though and point out that your ear buds shouldn't have the volume cranked up super loud anyway. You need to be able to hear everything around you when you run (other runners, traffic, etc.). :)
Do the walkers start in the earlier corrals though? I'd think maybe starting in the first 5 corrals would make sense for people running the race straight through, and then the walkers would all sort of be starting and continuing later anyway?

I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm casting any aspersions on walkers, by the way, I'm totally cool if people want to walk. I've just never participated in a race with so many walkers, as all of my past races have been pretty much only runners.
They're supposed to start in the earlier corrals, yes. But the corralling system isn't perfect, and for run/walkers, some will be walking pretty early in order to stick to their intervals. Which is fine, but not when them and their 5 friends are all doing it in a line across the course.

People walk in pretty much every corral. Some of the people in B or C will run/walk their way to a 1:45 half. As @Ariel484 said, there are a lot of runners at Disney, both new and experienced, who don't know race etiquette about staying to the sides when walking. Lots of people who run the whole time also don't do a great job of paying attention and keeping an eye out for walkers. A little politeness goes a long way for everyone.

runDisney does print etiquette tips in their race weekend programs...interestingly they don't have a "walkers to the side" rule.

From this year's Princess program:

• Please pay attention to pre-race instructions – both print and verbal. What you read and hear will not only help guide you through the course but will keep you safe.
• Wear your race bib on the front of your shirt and SMILE! MarathonFoto photographers will be taking pictures of you throughout the race.
• Please enter your correct start corral. This will ensure that you are running with people who have a similar pace.
• Run or walk no more than two abreast. Other runners will want to get by you. If you are walking in a group, please start in the last corral.
• If you want to run with a friend and they are in a different corral, the faster of the two can move back to the slower corral.
• If you are stopping at a water or food station, move all the way over to the table. Grab water and move away from the table
• Move to the side if someone behind you says “Excuse Me” or “Coming Through”.
• Feel free to shout words of encouragement to other runners. You will hear words of encouragement in return.
• When you are approaching the finish line, you may see loved ones cheering you on. Please do not encourage any one to join you in the finish line stretch. Your support team is very important, but please communicate that the race course and finish area is for registered participants and staff only.
• Enjoy the post-race refreshments, but remember that others will want to enjoy the goodies too. Please be courteous to those finishing behind you and take only one of each item.
• Celebrate! Thank your volunteers and have a great race!

A speedy lady grabbed my shoulders and pushed me to the side during the January Marathon at like mile 24, and I was running at like a 10:15-10:30/mile pace, the thing is no matter what you do, just be aware and that others will be rude and not to let it get to you, you can't prevent every bump in a crowded race. Just look around before slowing to a walk or stopping to take a picture, don't cut over to the side without looking and don't space out to music so that you are aware of your surroundings and if your faster don't disrespect slower runners and walkers by plowing into them. Walkers were all across the roads during this race and anyone running faster should be paying attention as not to run into them. I saw people putting their hand up and if I hadn't read it on here I would have not understand what they were doing, it's a nice gesture but not universally known in my opinion.

A speedy lady grabbed my shoulders and pushed me to the side during the January Marathon at like mile 24, and I was running at like a 10:15-10:30/mile pace, the thing is no matter what you do, just be aware and that others will be rude and not to let it get to you, you can't prevent every bump in a crowded race. Just look around before slowing to a walk or stopping to take a picture, don't cut over to the side without looking and don't space out to music so that you are aware of your surroundings and if your faster don't disrespect slower runners and walkers by plowing into them. Walkers were all across the roads during this race and anyone running faster should be paying attention as not to run into them. I saw people putting their hand up and if I hadn't read it on here I would have not understand what they were doing, it's a nice gesture but not universally known in my opinion.
o_O RUDE!!! I would have had some not-so-magical words for her!

The first time I ever saw someone put their hand up during a race, I had no idea what they were doing - but it got my attention and then when I saw they started walking, I figured out what the hand-up thing meant. Seems better than nothing to me. :confused3

I never use the vibrate feature. The beeping is pretty loud...

...I'll be the stick in the mud though and point out that your ear buds shouldn't have the volume cranked up super loud anyway. You need to be able to hear everything around you when you run (other runners, traffic, etc.). :)
Totally with you, I do keep them pretty low for those reasons. Just that some alarms are quiet enough that they're hard to hear even when you're listening for them.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked, but how are the corrals chosen for those in the 5k?

So excited!!! We are flying JetBlue from Logan Wednesday to Wednesday. I'm praying that Massachusetts has a calm winter so we can train. Does anyone know if we can run with an IPod? I thought I read that Disney does not allow earbuds but I've seen pictures of people run with them in.

I totally agree with this!!!!

I apologize in advance if this has been asked, but how are the corrals chosen for those in the 5k?
When you register you'll put in your anticipated pace...I THINK this is what they use to corral the 5K'ers but I'm not totally sure. Choices are below:
  • Under 7 minutes
  • 7:01 - 8:00 minutes
  • 8:01 - 9:00 minutes
  • 9:01 - 10:00 minutes
  • 10:01 - 11:00 minutes
  • 11:01 - 12:00 minutes
  • 12:01 - 13:00 minutes
  • 13:01 - 14:00 minutes
  • 14:01 - 15:00 minutes
So excited!!! We are flying JetBlue from Logan Wednesday to Wednesday. I'm praying that Massachusetts has a calm winter so we can train. Does anyone know if we can run with an IPod? I thought I read that Disney does not allow earbuds but I've seen pictures of people run with them in.
You can run with earphones in, yes. I never do though, because I want to be able to fully take it all in! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter