Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

ok, not to sound dumb, but does 30/30 mean you ran 30 seconds, walked 30? if so, how were you able to do the GSC? impressive! and thank you for the encouragement!

Bumbershoot explained it pretty well! I have a Garmin that vibrates for my intervals. I don't even use the beeping, because who can tell which beep is which at a Disney race?

Also, does anyone have cross-training that they recommend for off days? Yoga? Pilates? Ideally, I'd like to find something video-based that I can do easily at home.

I like yoga and pilates. I also do spin. For yoga and pilates it's OK to do it from video, but maybe go to a class with a GOOD teacher every so often, to make sure you are doing things correctly? If Mari Winsor is still doing Pilates videos, try her. I found her old DVDs to be good. She does tell you what to do; you just have ot listen to her and follow what she says. :) With both of those they tend to say SO MUCH, and it's hard to hear everything and to realize that you aren't doing it right LOL.

I have a Garmin that vibrates for my intervals.

Ooh, a fancy Garmin. ;)

ETA, for those who don't know, Jet Blue has now started charging for bags.

Last edited:
I like yoga and pilates. I also do spin. For yoga and pilates it's OK to do it from video, but maybe go to a class with a GOOD teacher every so often, to make sure you are doing things correctly? If Mari Winsor is still doing Pilates videos, try her. I found her old DVDs to be good. She does tell you what to do; you just have ot listen to her and follow what she says. :) With both of those they tend to say SO MUCH, and it's hard to hear everything and to realize that you aren't doing it right LOL.

Ooh, a fancy Garmin. ;)

ETA, for those who don't know, Jet Blue has now started charging for bags.

1. Pilates is hard, but so good! I also like Blogilates. She is on YouTube and has a couple of DVDs. I also enjoy (for lack of a better term...lol) Jillian Michaels yoga DVDs.

2. Yes, it is pretty fancy. I don't even think I use all of the features, but I don't know how I ever did without it!

3. What?! I hope SW never does that.

Just read a bazillion posts and I am on my phone so I can't recall who said what but here is my experience:
I started this journey about this time last year, really just wanting an excuse to wear a costume and run. To me I felt like I needed to go big but not too big, so a half marathon was enough of a goal to keep me motivated throughout 7 months of training. I failed at the couch to 5k! As soon as it asked me to run longer than 10 minutes at a time I got discouraged! I could not make it a mile without feeling like I was going to die (all this before registration ever occurred). Then after I registered and had $$ invested there was a slight panic- what did I just do?!?
No worries, around September of last year I read JG book and started interval training and was able to finish a 10k in 62 min in Novemeber using 1:30/30 intervals! Saved me!
I have 2 kids under 3 so cross training did not fit into my life, I literally ran 2 miles on Tues and 2 again on Thurs and then whatever the prescriptive distance was for JG's training plan on the weekend, and I finished!! In 2 hours and 40 min, I finished! So don't doubt yourselves, you are your own worst enemy!
Something that I did not plan for in my training was all the congestion of the race- there are spots where you are 4-people across and if your timer goes off, you better move to the side sister or you will get run over! My Garmin said I put in an extra 0.3 of a mile just from weaving in and out of people!
As far as shoes go- I was trying to rock the same size I had worn pre-children and when I went to the local running store I found out I was a whole size and a half bigger!! I can't tell you how much of a difference it made! Wool socks are my BFF too to prevent blisters!
This group had a great wealth of info for me last year when I was a newbie, just reading about everyone else's experiences kinda put me at ease when it came time for the race!

Same here.

They had talked about doing it starting in 2015, and then when they didn't do it people (on the Transportation forum) thought the rumor was wrong. And then last week, boom, they started.

Something that I did not plan for in my training was all the congestion of the race- there are spots where you are 4-people across and if your timer goes off, you better move to the side sister or you will get run over! My Garmin said I put in an extra 0.3 of a mile just from weaving in and out of people!

It's not as critical to move to the side as it is to not stop and walk immediately. Abruptly switching from a run to a walk often catches the people behind you by surprise, and that's when some bumping might occur and tempers might flare. If you're going to start walking, the best thing to do is raise your hand, say "walking," look around you to make sure there's no one right on your heels or in your way if you plan to move to the side of the course, and only start your walk when it's clear to do so. Once you raise you hand and indicate that you're about to start walking, the people around you will be able to plan accordingly and keep out of your way as you keep out of theirs. A little politeness and etiquette from runners, walkers, and run-walkers goes a long way.

Last edited:
@Marie463 major things to think about with strength training if you go that route - focus on core, hip and glute strength. All of these things promote good running form, and if you're weak in those areas you may get injured (not that I have firsthand experience with that...ahem. o_O).

It's not as critical to move to the side as it is to not stop and walk immediately. Abruptly switching from a run to a walk often catches the people behind you by surprise, and that's when some bumping might occur and tempers might flare. If you're going to start walking, the best thing to do is raise your hand, say "walking," look around you to make sure there's no one right on your heels or in your way if you plan to move to the side of the course, and only start your walk when it's clear to do so. Once you raise you hand and indicate that you're about to start walking, the people around you will be able to plan accordingly and keep out of your way as you keep out of theirs. A little politeness and etiquette from runners, walkers, and run/walkers goes a long way.
My biggest pet peeve at Disney, during races or otherwise...when people don't pay attention to their surroundings. :mad:

so much great info guys! I really appreciate it. Good point about surroundings. I could see myself stopping abruptly on accident. Luckily we bike ride on a busy path so I am used to saying to you right, or passing. I'll keep it in mind with running too. @pigletcanrun , very inspiring! I wish I had more time to put in to do a small race before registration, to build confidence. With me, its mostly all mental. Im only on day 2 or 3 of JG app. Does he do all interval training on it?

UGH ME TOO. I mean, I THINK they won't because they use that so much in their ads to point out how they are different from other airlines (that and no change fees)...but you never know.
Just read a bazillion posts and I am on my phone so I can't recall who said what but here is my experience:
I started this journey about this time last year, really just wanting an excuse to wear a costume and run. To me I felt like I needed to go big but not too big, so a half marathon was enough of a goal to keep me motivated throughout 7 months of training. I failed at the couch to 5k! As soon as it asked me to run longer than 10 minutes at a time I got discouraged! I could not make it a mile without feeling like I was going to die (all this before registration ever occurred). Then after I registered and had $$ invested there was a slight panic- what did I just do?!?
No worries, around September of last year I read JG book and started interval training and was able to finish a 10k in 62 min in Novemeber using 1:30/30 intervals! Saved me!
I have 2 kids under 3 so cross training did not fit into my life, I literally ran 2 miles on Tues and 2 again on Thurs and then whatever the prescriptive distance was for JG's training plan on the weekend, and I finished!! In 2 hours and 40 min, I finished! So don't doubt yourselves, you are your own worst enemy!
As far as shoes go- I was trying to rock the same size I had worn pre-children and when I went to the local running store I found out I was a whole size and a half bigger!! I can't tell you how much of a difference it made! Wool socks are my BFF too to prevent blisters!
This group had a great wealth of info for me last year when I was a newbie, just reading about everyone else's experiences kinda put me at ease when it came time for the race!
I'm right there with you - reading that someone who was a professional coach and an Olympian was saying that it's okay to take walk breaks was a game changer for me.

The congestion is frustrating, for sure. I don't remember it being so bad when I did this race in 2011, but there were significantly fewer runners back then. I think the new corralling has helped, but it's always going to be there in some narrow spots (specifically thinking of Main Street, when running through the castle, and the stretch right after you leave the Magic Kingdom - by far the most annoying spot in my opinion).

Awesome post - I love reading about people setting these goals and achieving them. :)
so much great info guys! I really appreciate it. Good point about surroundings. I could see myself stopping abruptly on accident. Luckily we bike ride on a busy path so I am used to saying to you right, or passing. I'll keep it in mind with running too. @pigletcanrun , very inspiring! I wish I had more time to put in to do a small race before registration, to build confidence. With me, its mostly all mental. Im only on day 2 or 3 of JG app. Does he do all interval training on it?
When you ask this, does you mean does he encourage walk breaks during all runs? If that's what you're asking, then yes - taking walk breaks during runs from the beginning ("The Galloway Method"/"Run Walk Run") is what he is famous for. :)

Speaking of SW - I booked my return flight today! I was able to transfer some reward points to my Southwest account, so I just had to pay Southwest's fees ($5.60 - 9/11 fee + fuel surcharge or something?).

So I have my resort and flights...just need things to go well on registration day! :eek: And I need to buy park tickets...:eek:

Speaking of SW - I booked my return flight today! I was able to transfer some reward points to my Southwest account, so I just had to pay Southwest's fees ($5.60 - 9/11 fee + fuel surcharge or something?).

So I have my resort and flights...just need things to go well on registration day! :eek: And I need to buy park tickets...:eek:

And your costume...:eek:

I think what I like most about interval training/running is that it breaks any distance into chunks. Mentally I can do anything for a minute! Then I know I have a break coming!

@FFigawi I saw people raising their hands but honestly I was so green, I didn't know it was for everyone! I thought they were perhaps signaling to their friends where they were good to know! I will use it in the future!

People use it for that purpose too. We did that in Comrades all day long. It's announcing "walking" along with it that really helps people know you're about to slow down.

I think what I like most about interval training/running is that it breaks any distance into chunks. Mentally I can do anything for a minute! Then I know I have a break coming!
Yes, knowing a break is coming is so helpful! For me it's a fine line because I've found that the times I have tried the shorter intervals, it's made the runs seem like they're going by much more slowly for me with all the start and stopping. So it's helpful and not helpful mentally for me sometimes!
@FFigawi I saw people raising their hands but honestly I was so green, I didn't know it was for everyone! I thought they were perhaps signaling to their friends where they were good to know! I will use it in the future!
I put my hand up to signal I was walking last year and a CM that was spectating thought I wanted a high-five! :teeth:

We are row 8 - any chance you are on the 6am flight? We are also flying out of Logan.
Lol, yup the 6am flight out of Logan on Thursday February 18th Row 7! I assume that is your flight? Too funny, we better not get snowed in!

Lol, yup the 6am flight out of Logan on Thursday February 18th Row 7! I assume that is your flight? Too funny, we better not get snowed in!

:eek: Now another thing to worry about! ;)
No - I'm sure it's going to be a mild winter so I will have plenty of opportunity to train outdoors! :rotfl2: :cold:

I'll see you on the plane!

Quick question- would you guys say that it would be better to stay at Boardwalk for the races or a monorail resort (Poly, GVF, Bay Lake)?

Also- for the person asking about cross-training when not running- I cannot recommend BodyPump enough, if they have it at your gym. It's a total body weights workout with tons of repetitions (like 150 squats per class) and builds amazing muscle endurance. The recovery after your races is much better when your muscles are used to being broken down, then healing repeatedly :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter