October/Halloween Trip Reports

I agree very peaceful here today. Went looping about 2pm and saw about 50 empty sites. Either people were checking in after or some couldn't stay because kids has school.

Pics from the golf cart parade.
20161030_173131_zpsrbdcppsl.jpg

20161030_172113_zpsmxgmoa84.jpg

20161030_172508_zps91dmveux.jpg

20161030_172607_zps3f9lpasr.jpg

20161030_173229_zpsryks72id.jpg

20161030_173316_zpsoueom6o9.jpg

Just a few of the carts.
Later that evening we watched the Hallowishes Fireworks from Bay Lake Tower.
20161030_220750_zpssy4iqtxa.jpg

Screenshot_2016-10-31-16-08-51_zpsjkjcax65.png

Screenshot_2016-10-31-16-10-07_zpspp2czl0z.png

Screenshot_2016-10-31-16-10-28_zpsn7atvg37.png

Screenshot_2016-10-31-16-10-33_zpsduhwuop9.png

While scouting out the new Wilderness Lodge cabins look what I spotted!!!!

View attachment 204026

Here's a closer view of one of the train cars. Do y'all think these are from the old Fort Wilderness train?

View attachment 204028

They are sitting right at the construction entrance for the new cabins.

Peach, thanks for sharing those pictures.

I've seen them in the thread on the DIS Resorts board that's following the buildout/conversion of the Wilderness Lodge DVC work. But your pictures are nice and clear. As far as if they are part of the old FWRR, I don't think so although that's a logical conclusion. In David Leaphart's excellent book Walt Disney World Railroads Part 1 Fort Wilderness Railroad https://www.amazon.com/Disney-World...qid=1477951727&sr=8-1&keywords=david+leaphart he goes through all the rolling stock that ran on the FWRR and was stored in the roundhouse (which was the rectangular garage/shed that's still there). Locomotives, coaches, and even the service cars used to work on the line. And those two cars are not remotely like anything he describes or has photos listed. So that makes me 90% sure those weren't part of the FWRR.

Of course, what they were doing in the woods in the first place, I don't know that either. The closest the tracks/train/cars came to that end of the Fort was the bus turnaround at the Settlement Depot when they built the second turn out to serve River Country. Basically that rarely used golf cart parking lot next to the bus cul-de-sac was where the Settlement Depot (a simple platform with a roof) was.

I know of one way to more certainly answer that question but it will have to wait till I am there in January.

Here's hoping I can get as close as you did in January.

Bama Ed

I agree very peaceful here today. Went looping about 2pm and saw about 50 empty sites. Either people were checking in after or some couldn't stay because kids has school.

SamRoc,

Did you get by the pool this afternoon to see if it was busy? And let us know how the ToT goes if you can.

Steve, thanks for the pictures.

Bama Ed

Went to FW last night for the Golf Cart Parade. It was so much fun. Had dinner at Trails End and it was great as usual. We hoped to do a Hay Ride bit they were not doing them last night or Halloween because if all the other things going on The Beach Party was a blast. So glad we went over.

I'm glad it turned out to be a good night for you, lpizzuro123.

Bama Ed

Thanks Ed...I didn't see any tracks in that area but the Fort RR was the only thing I knew of...I look forward to your "sleuthing" in January!!!

This morning started out early for me. My six month old son was up at 5:00 am wanting to go for a walk. So I took him out while momma slept. It's kind of our ritual. Wandered around the dark quiet campground for an hour or so. Headed towards trails end to wait for coffee on the porch. One of the lovely employees came out, asked what I was waiting for. When I said coffee, she said hold on and poured me a nice warm mug. Even before the place was open. A nice Disney touch. No charge even

Back to the campsite for pancakes and eggs. Went swimming after. Saw something interesting. A manager type was waking around with a portable magic band reader and checking everybody. Actually asked a few people to leave. This was early and we never saw her again, but I have never had them do a check like that. Watched the pet parade and back to camper for lunch.

Lunch was grilled cheese at the camper and then over to Animal Kingdom Kidani for swimming with friends staying there.

We got back just in time for hot turkey sandwiches and trick or treating. we brought about 1400 pieces of candy. Gave it all away, but we did the good stuff. Full candy bars and stuff like that. We own a store back home and sell a ton of impulse candy so we have lots available. I think we have most of it away to moms/dads. Wife says next year we are bringing a portable kegerator and will be the hit of the place.

Left someone else in charge of distribution and took the kids out. We did 900, 2100 and the loops in between.

Finally got them all down to sleep and having a beer with the wife. Bedtime soon

Just to say, we are total newbies in a cabin. We did see the cart parade yesterday, and I watched the pet costume contest today. Tonight we did Mickey's Backyard BBQ (on Halloween) and it was SO GREAT!!!

No trick or treating for us, it is just me, husband, and adult son (with Autism/Down Syndrome). Great trip.

Going out to measure the gauge on the wheels?

j

That's absolutely the plan. No other 30-inch gauge on property other than the Fort. If it's 36-inch (other Disney trains), it's not FWRR.

Bama Ed

PS - and if someone else wants to do it sooner and report back, that's fine too.

This morning started out early for me. My six month old son was up at 5:00 am wanting to go for a walk. So I took him out while momma slept. It's kind of our ritual. Wandered around the dark quiet campground for an hour or so. Headed towards trails end to wait for coffee on the porch. One of the lovely employees came out, asked what I was waiting for. When I said coffee, she said hold on and poured me a nice warm mug. Even before the place was open. A nice Disney touch. No charge even

That's a nice story, LBHouse :coffee:

Went swimming after. Saw something interesting. A manager type was waking around with a portable magic band reader and checking everybody. Actually asked a few people to leave. This was early and we never saw her again, but I have never had them do a check like that.

That sounds like the plan management had to keep the home schoolers from spending the day at the pool.

Wife says next year we are bringing a portable kegerator and will be the hit of the place.

Ha! Great idea. But you might not be able to get the parents to leave your site and finish the ToT with the kids. :drinking1

So the comments above sound pretty easy going. I'm not fishing for complaints but I didn't hear any "the place was a madhouse" or it was "out of control". Sounds like it went down as a well run series of events, no?

PatMcDuck, glad your family had a good time too.

Bama Ed

Just a quick post today about our recent activities. As a trip comes to an end I always seem to feel like I have to try to fit everything in. On Sunday we were at MK for opening and rode Peter Pan, Mickey's Philharmagic, Space Mountain, Carosel of Progress and the People Mover. We returned to the Fort for lunch at the RV.
In the afternoon we went to AK and enjoyed watching The Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo, and the Kilamanjaro Safari. Some of the animals, such as the cheetahs and lions were more active in the late afternoon/ early evening.
We returned to the Fort to find it much busier this carried through to Halloween. We went to DHS on Monday morning and rode TSMM. DH was happy that we got to try the new track, as usual he won. After we watched the Frozen Sing-a-Long and were snoaped heavily. We treated ourselves to lunch at the Sci-fi Diner before returning to FW.
DH bbqed the rest of the chicken and I completed some cleaning around the RV. In the evening we went to Epcot. We enjoyed Living with the Land, Soarin', and the Three Calbaros ride in Mexico. We walked around the World Showcase stopping to listen to Hanson perform at the American Gardens.
Trick or treating was in full force when we returned to Fort Wilderness but it settled down nicely by 10 pm.

Trick or treating started in our loop at 6. A lot of people were already sitting outside ready to give candy so we joined along. I was so impressed with the parents of the little ones always reminding them to say thank you!! Very well behaved kids all night!

Trick or treating was a lot slower than I anticipated, maybe it was just our loop, 1800, but I actually had candy left.

My sister and her family camped in the site right next to us, linking the ressies worked. We went to MK on Saturday, boy was it packed, you know when Its a Small World has a 55 minute wait, the park is busy! So we did our FP for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and the Mine Train, then headed over to Tom Sawyers Island to get away from the crowds. Have not been over there in years, it was a nice escape. Sunday we headed to Ak and it was not crowded at all, we had FP for Everest and the safari. The animals were the most active than we have seen in a long time, it must be the weather. The nice thing about having annual passes, is you can go to the parks for a few hours and still have time to enjoy the Fort.

Here's few photos from TSI.

FW Oct 2016 033.jpg FW Oct 2016 034.jpg FW Oct 2016 035.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter