My State Food is Better Than Yours

Ozark food is an acquired taste for some, but it's mandatory for natives. Pan fried catfish, cobbler to die for and the world's best sausage and biscuits. Home grown tomatoes and fresh cucumber salads. Fresh snap beans cooked with bacon. Persimmon pudding and banana cream pie topped with a mountain of meringue. Tiny, sweet wild strawberries or wild blackberries on home churned ice cream. Oven baked local quail with freshly picked mushroom sauce. And BBQ'd pork straight from heaven - served with home made sauce and corn roasted on the grill. All with sweet tea, of course. And for most folks, it's all made from well-guarded recipes handed down for generations.

DisFlan

I'm from Kansas and we have the best.....uh......I'll be dropping by to try your specialties. :)

HELLO!!! Wheat! Where would the rest of these Yahoos be without all our Wheat!!!!

By the way, I think we should start charging the mid east 100.00 a bushel for our wheat... we can walk or carpool or telecommute, but they gotta eat!

Kansas Beef can't be beat either... Any Kansan driving alllll the way to Colorado through the plains and sees a cow will always say "MMMM Dinner!"

Since I officially live in Missouri, I have 3 letters for you... BBQ (it doesn't count if it doesn't smoke for at least 6 hours!)!!!

Disflan, you had me till the sweet tea.. I guess being four hours northwest does that! Looooovvvveeee Lamberts!

I haven't seen this yet... so I'm gonna put in my two cents...

Not a B-Lo native, but its the closest I've got... didn't beef on whyk/wyck/wick/whatever come from Buffalo also?

Yep Beef on Weck, Buffalo original....:)

Kimmelweck to be exact!

I lived in Des Moines Iowa for 3 yrs. (20+ years ago ) and we went to the Iowa State Fair many times in those 3 years ....how about those "Maidrites" ....only had them in Iowa , nothing like them back home here in Massachusetts ! They were actually very good. :thumbsup2

I lived there for 1 and 1/2 years and love maidrites.. they have one 20 min away from me so I can get them still! :cool1:

Someone also mentioned Iowa pork, which is great, but the corn, ohmygawd the corn is like candy there! No better corn than in IOWA!:worship:

KANSAS CITY, BEST BBQ EVER!! Try the Burnt Ends!! Awesome!
I know this will be debated by folks from Carolina, Texas, Tennessee,
I could go on but you get the idea. Had them all, our is really the best!
:teeth:

I'd like to qualify this by saying... just because you've heard of Bryant's, and the last six Presidents have eaten there don't assume it's the best... IMHO, it's not. :duck:

Arthur Bryants won't dissappoint, but there is better, to be sure!

And the second most heard of restaurant, Jack Stack isn't much to write home about either!

I like Zarda the best! Gates is good too for more of a tart BBQ sauce taste.

Yup, we could get into a BIG ole BBQ debate here. I'll admit, it's hard to beat the best of the BBQ in KC. Love those burnt ends! But I have to say our local, home smoked BBQ is the best I've had anywhere.

Microcell - isn't it strange how Missouri is really TWO states? Different foods, different customs and politics. North of the river is, well, Northern. South of the river, we're pretty much Southern. (We're considered "midsouth" here.) I'm down near the Arkansas line, so it's even more so here - hence the sweet tea. KC is in a class of its own - BBQ country.

DisFlan

What is poutine??

Poutine is french fries covered in gravy and cheese. It's a heart attack in a bowl but dang it's good!!

I'm Canadian too, so here are my favs!

Butter tarts
Beaver Tails
Nova Scotia Lobster
Alberta Beef
Ontario made Cheeses
hmmmmm.....oh and our Ontario strawberries kick California's behind!!! They are the BEST anywhere in the world.
:stir:

I've only read four pages but here's mine:

Boiled Maine lobster

crab rolls (I had an exceptionally good one today at Bagaduce Lunch in Brooksville, Maine)

red hot dogs

wild Maine blueberries

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I haven't read all the posts, so please forgive me.

Michigan has an entire island devoted to FUDGE!

Well I'm also from Maryland near DC so I'll stick up for the people who live in DC....they're known for their Half Smokes from Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street(a favorite of Bill Cosby).....in addition southern Maryland is known for their stuffed hams....

Hmm, lets see, brats and squeaky cheese curds!!! Although I have yet to see a brat or squeaky cheese curds at WDW ;)

oh and let's not forget Door County, they grow the best cherries ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter