My State Food is Better Than Yours

toocooltobeMom said:
Being so close to the finger lakes region, I have to say our wine; especially the late harvest Riesling and Ice wines. They will pair perfertly to all your state food.

I didn't even know Rieslings were made here in the states! That is my favorite type of wine - I will have to try to find some (in 5 months, of course ;) ).

Uncleromulus said:
Great food. Great thread.
Now, wouldn't be nice if--at WDW--there were a restaurant where we could actually get the "real thing"?? Perhaps at the American Pavillion in Epcot??
It'll never happen of course, and there are far too many "items" for one place to carry.
But think about being able to get an authentic Md. Crabcake, an authentic Chicago Hotdog, Philly Cheesesteak, etc etc.
Wouldn't that be nice???

I'm with you!

Even if, financially speaking, it would be too much, why not an "American Food and Wine Festival" in Epcot like was previously mentioned? Disney could contact chefs from each state to present foods at an authentic booth. So, there could be a Maryland booth with authentic crabcakes, a Chicago stand with an authentic dog, etc. I'd love to see historical foods, too - like Colonial syllabub and peanut soup or other popular dishes of the past- maybe even Native American dishes, but I'm not familiar with too many recipes of Native Americans. Or they could build a "buffet" style restaurant like this - but instead of self-serve, have servers at each station to explain ingredients, history, etc. and dole out a portion. What they serve could change seasonally but perhaps some things could remain a constant. We can always dream. :cloud9:

this isnt really on topic but sort of. I have stayed at VWL and am Canadian, and when the employees found this out before we got there they said "Canada, eh? You'll feel right at home, there is a 60 foot todom pole in the lobby. Hello! todom pole? those we so long ago! and why did you say eh? insulting ;) ...its even on a sign in epcot Welcome to Canada eh? and then why do people always accociate Canada and todom poles, why not maple trees or...soomething else!b :rotfl:

Uncleromulus said:
Great food. Great thread.
Now, wouldn't be nice if--at WDW--there were a restaurant where we could actually get the "real thing"?? Perhaps at the American Pavillion in Epcot??
It'll never happen of course, and there are far too many "items" for one place to carry.
But think about being able to get an authentic Md. Crabcake, an authentic Chicago Hotdog, Philly Cheesesteak, etc etc.
Wouldn't that be nice???

That would be nice! Instead of state favorites,,maybe they could do it by region i.e. Northern Faves, Southern Faves, East Coast, Midwest, West Coast?

UncleR, I wish they would do that too! :)

A native Floridian here - Our fresh seafood!
- Florida stone crabs - only 15 days til the season starts! Plus, they don't kill the crab.
- Pompano (local fish) - hard to get but so good
- All the fresh fish like snapper, etc.

I have to agree that LA has great food. My mom has traveled all over the world and been to 48 states and thinks New Orleans has the best food.

wendy1974 said:
Jambalaya
Beignets
Gumbo
Pralines
Need I say more!

So you would be from Rohde ISland!!!!!!! :rotfl2: Could not help it!!!! Just love love that cajun cuisine! Justin Wilson must be making one big pot of gumbo up there in Heaven, wonder if angels use Flile with their gumbo??

JJClemson said:
I am from NJ near NYC. No one can top our pizza and bagels! I have lived in SC for 6 years and it is so depressing, I cannot get yummy pizza and bagels anywhere :confused3 Also, NJ has amazing bakeries! Muller's Bakery in Bay Head, NJ is the best! Crumb cake....mmmm.... :cloud9:

I moved to Pa and what a sad day it is when I cant find a real bagel, when folks come to visit I refuse entry without a bagel or a cannoli!!!! Chirstmas is soooo far away! :rolleyes:

i<3Disney said:
I'm from NJ near the Philadelphia area and we are experts on our pizza and cheesesteaks.

::yes:: -I am living in Philly, I don't eat cheesesteaks but I do know that no one does them better. And the pizza is amazing! :teeth:

Liliyana said:
If you can't tell, I'm from the Allentown area. :goodvibes

Me too! :)

Janis said:
And don't forget the soft pretzels!!!

Yes, I forgot! When I first moved to Philly I had no idea why my food stands had breakfast specials of soft pretzels and coffee. It just doesn't seem very breakfast-like.

I'm from just north of Chicago and I have to say pizza and hot dogs. I agree with the post about one piece and you need to loosen your pants and take a nap. Come on we put everything you can possibly think of on hot dogs (the better to cover up the taste).

:stir:

Has anyone mentioned New England Clam Chowder? LTT is ok, but doesn't compare to places at home!

From Pa here. I'm not sure that we invented it, but we're home to scrapple (which I personally can't stand!). Thru the years, many have come into our area asking what the heck it is. IMO, if you have to ask, you'd probably rather not know.

I grew up near Philly and I do miss those cheese steaks in central Pa. We have them, but they're just not the same.

One thing we do have is, Pennsylvania Dutch! Go out to the sale any Wednesday (entire year, even winter) and you can buy anything from the Amish. I don't know who else can cook the way they do. YUMMY! They also have incredible carpentry skills.

BTW: I LOVE this thread. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Especially that "Road Kill" comment from the poster from RI. :lmao:

WinnePoohlvr said:
Come on we put everything you can possibly think of on hot dogs (the better to cover up the taste).

Except ketchup!!! That is forbidden! ::cop:

Hey fellow Louisianians! We KNOW our state has the best food! Isn't it nice for once not to be at the top of a "bad" list or the bottom of a "good" list? :thumbsup2

Ron from Michigan said:
Mackinaw Island Fudge is the best you can get anywhere. :)

I agree, Ron! If you get the chance, you have try the "Mackinaw Island Fudge" flavor of Wisconsin's own Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream!!! :thumbsup2

PIZZA!! I don't think there is anywhere in the US that can touch NYC's pizza there is an awesome place in every neighborhood in every borrough (except maybe Chicago but don't tell them I said that :rotfl2: )I think the pizza in wdw is just gross and I really can't go near it I guess I am spoiled ;) .

oh and Nathan's hot dogs!

I already posted about my state (NJ/NY) but I thought I'd add a great state food from a state that hasn't been mentioned! DELAWARE! :)
They have great seafood, quiet, homey gourmet shops and one "famous" food - turkey "hoagies" with fresh roasted turkey, stuffing and cranberries! (Some add gravy or even cheese, mayo, or other things, but I like just stuffing and cranberries). I've never seen it outside Delaware. There are some great places to eat in Rehoboth Beach, too. I wanted to include a great state that doesn't usually get too much credit. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter