• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

March 2016 Pre Trip and Trip reports

We drove back up to Disney following the storm in front of us. Will one of you locals tell me what's going on with all the 25mph traffic on the Interstate between Orlando and Tampa. Is it construction? Is it all us tourists? Is it the snowbirds? I got to run at speed for about 20 minutes in each direction and the other 30-40 minutes was stop-and-go to 25mph max.

Bama Ed

Yes, yes & yes.....and it all started with a mouse.

Call me old school or just old, but I prefer my desk top, mouse and keyboard. Still trying to figure our the picture thing on this iPad, and I have no clue how my countdown reset in my signature. I am sure I will have time to practice tomorrow while waiting out the rain.

Yes, Bama_Ed, DH & I did start our camping days with a Volkswagon camper exactly like the one you pictured (actually we had two different ones - also a beige one).
Had lots of good camping fun with both of them - amazing some of them are still around!! :D

They both made some trips to FW!!

The family behind me with the 3 tents and the dog that yipped all night in the tent finally left this morning. I admit that when I came back from the MK at 3am the other night, I walked to the back of my site just so the little yipper would hear me and bark at me (and wake up his owners). I feel guilt ridden for doing so. :rolleyes:

Ha Ha! Now this I approve of.
Ashton-Kutcher-laughing.gif

This morning headed to work on interstate 81 and i pass a class c towing a car. The class c is a pididdle. Gee whiz someone didn't check before heading out on a trip. Hope they get there safe and have fun tho.

The class c is a pididdle.
I love this place. I had to Google pididdle. I'll guess it's a regional term or I've been more clueless than I thought. Learn something fun everyday.

We always called them Cyclops or One-eye.

Either way, hopefully he doesn't have too much night driving.

j

Did it rain last night? We got stuck on the boat due to a hold in place order due to winds. I saw it gusted past 50 at the Contemporary yesterday afternoon.

BTW I saw a rig in the 800 loop with 5 big dogs in an older class A. Two were lying on the dash in the window.

Did it rain last night? We got stuck on the boat due to a hold in place order due to winds. I saw it gusted past 50 at the Contemporary yesterday afternoon.

Honestly, I don't know. I slept like a log last night. It was cloudy and humid this morning but it cleared up a little around lunch then the temp got into the 80s and now it's hot, cloudy, and humid again.

This morning my parents pushed off after 730am (had to wait for the Trails End to open so they could fill their mugs with coffee before they hit the road. We got ready this morning and went down to the boats about 830am for the ride to the Contemp and hopped a monorail to the Poly for breakfast at Kona Cafe.

I really like the theming of the Poly and although I miss the old lobby the new one is beautiful.

There were selling Easter baskets pre-made at the Poly gift shop. Note the prices. (More about the Fort baskets below).

Me and DD got the Tonga Toast and DW got steak and eggs. Both were really good. Even the little birds on the Poly monorail platform had breakfast.

After eating it was for a grocery tun to the Winn Dixie 10 minutes from the Fort. On the way out of the Fort i noticed these two similar trailers in the grass by the hitch/unhitch area. On the way back there were four trailers. Turns out these are Greenberg rental trailers getting picked up and reset for new customers today. One got delivered down in 100 loop today (the camper named Buena Vista).

20160326_114009_zpsmkoovzgv.jpg

I also returned crom the store to find my DD had completed my puzzle. Told you she was Type A.

Then it was time for an afternoon bike ride. Although others have already mentioned it, 300 loop appears to be the only one with yellow lines painted at the street edge of the site to encourage campers to park on their side of the lines. We often talk about how hard it is to park a trailer in 300.

Even though it pays to advertise, the advert can still be tacky. Take this rental unit in 1400. Please. It was not in good shape.

Remember in the old Dustin Hoffman movie, The Graduate, that a neighbor recommends a career in "plastics"? Well with the rain we've had lately, plastic tarps over tents is the word of the day it seems.

Rolling over to the next post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Continuing on...

And the mother of all tarps...

I rode by some of our posters. Jaredjohn4 and tltay2005 no one was outside and amcc looked like they had a guest in their screen room. I saw a Rockwood highwall popup that was huge. It had a slideout on the back and must be pushing 4,000# GVWR.

This guy in 1500 had the right idea. Put the popup on the pad to maximize space.

As posted earlier, the pool is hopping.

At the Meadow TP, you can buy a pre-made Easter Basket, buy things at the TP to customize it, or they will build a basket with things you bring from home. The build table is where the checkers table usually is.

Here is the form and a price list for their stuff.

Here are 2 pre-made Fort baskets. Didnt get prices but probably around $65. You can buy the white basket to use on the left called a tote for $7 or the one on the right for the basket only at $9.

Headed to the Astros game tonight. Wonder if we will get this one in.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Had another nice day. Was a little warm, but not too bad. After breakfast we headed over to Disney Springs. So much nicer during the day, crowds are a lot thinner than in the evening. Had some lunch at Earl of Sandwich, very good and reasonable price. DH & DS did some sunglasses shopping, and I did a lot of window shopping, nothing for for me, but that's ok, plan to do my shopping on our cruise next month :thumbsup2.

DH did some fishing today and some turkey calling ( don't ask, it a hunting thing). I try not to be with him, it's so embarrassing.:sad2:

Some Canadian folks were watching a "crocodile" down by the water, told us to come look but be careful not to get too close, too funny. Had to fill them in that it was a gator, and we were fine, we have lived in central fl forever and they are very common and are really not a threat if you give them their space. DH and I still laugh about it...Crikey, it a croc!!

Rain has held off, but it is 5:30, and the thunder has started. Chicken is on the grill, hope it gets done before the rain falls.

Sitting in the car waiting for the thunderstorm to roll by. A little metal popup, a metal frame Ez up and thunder that was a little too close...

Went in an early morning bike ride then said farewell to our friends (who left us all their extras including ponchos:) ). As Ed mentioned the pool was hopping and the dodgeball game was huge
image.jpeg

I know the Terrible Twos have a bad reputation, but my little guy is giving the Almost Fours a really bad name. We dragged him away from the Fort pool screaming for a boat ride to the Contemporary for some monorail looping but as soon as he saw the Poly pool we were back to the "pool" "pool" "pool" and so we walked right back to the monorail and came home.

The Contemporary has an exhibit of beautiful eggs created by their pastry chefs. Let me give a shout out to the one with my girl, Alice.

One more picture to reiterate how peaceful the Fort is early in the morning.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

While I'm killing time in the car...the 2000 loop has been very...lively. We have very animated neighbors on three sides and we know the life story of the ones right next door since heir regular tone is just above yelling with much colorful language. Tons of kids riding up and down the street. A family of 5 from Maryland just moved in across the street for 9 days of tent camping. I really hope the rain passes and the temp and humidity stays comfortable.

The past couple of nights I haven't had hot water in the shower at different times and no soap at the sinks. Disney, if you read this, we need more hooks in the shower stalls, please and thank you.

Much more rain and DH won't have to go to the canals to fish.
image.jpg image.jpg

Our site is high and dry, thank goodness. Hope those in the tent sites are too.

Bought these really neat packs that change your fire flames to different colors. Hard to see in photo, but they really worked; blue, purple, green and orange flames. Lasted a long time too.
image.jpg image.jpg

Looks like "Ed's" huge high wall pop-up behind you there...

Ok, still can't get the pictures I transferred from my phone small enough to upload. Will have to wait till I get home.

The rain has stopped, so we are going to go see the outside movie. Will check in tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter