March 2016 Pre Trip and Trip reports

tltay2005

DIS Veteran
Hope it's not early to start this thread. We will be there from March 24th - March 27th. Just a camping trip, not visiting any parks or resorts. Going to just relax and enjoy the Fort.

Not to early for me. I was debating when to start the one for August? I figured in another couple of months.

March 19-30, 2016 in a Preferred (requested loop 100). Hope to do the MK a couple times, relax, catch some spring training baseball games, and one or two more ideas.

Bama Ed

March 19-30, 2016 in a Preferred (requested loop 100). Hope to do the MK a couple times, relax, catch some spring training baseball games, and one or two more ideas.

Bama Ed

So jealous, wish we could stay longer, but since we make 3 trips to the Fort each year, 3-5 days at a time is the limit (time wise and money wise :-))

Had a quick trip to Hillsborough River State park this weekend, couldn't ask for better Florida winter weather. Also have another weekend trip to Lake Manatee State park in four weeks. Then to the Fort in March. Try to get as many camping trips in as possible before the weather here gets too warm. Funny how no matter where we go, even to the state parks, we compare things to the Fort. HRSP rented golf carts for $60 per day, of course I had to point out that the prices at the Fort were the same, if not a dollar cheaper, lol.

HRSP rented golf carts for $60 per day, of course I had to point out that the prices at the Fort were the same, if not a dollar cheaper, lol.

Disney would hate to hear that, tltay2005. It means they are no longer charging for a premium experience; the logical step, therefore, is to raise rates on golf cart rentals at the Fort. It's been like, what, at least 3-4 years at the $59+tax rate for a 4-seater. They should be creeping it up annually like they do the room/campsite rates a dollar or two a year. People understand the "cost of inflation" type increase. It's the big jump they object to - even when it's been flat over past years.

Well, I'll share a little outline about my upcoming March trip too. I'm looking forward to hearing who else can be there in late March. I recall our posters lokin4deer and Boomer1 chimed in my thread back in August when I had made a March reservation that they would be coming in March too.

To recap, my DD is marching with her high school marching band on Sunday March 20 just ahead of the Main Street Electrical Parade at 10pm in the MK. Her two older brothers, also in the high school marching band, marched in Orlando (oldest brother #1 and #2 in MK and then older brother #2 also at Universal). She is my baby, a senior, and this is her Disney band trip (she is tired of hearing how much fun her brothers had on their trips). As a caring, loving parent, naturally I should be there (and stay at the Fort) for moral support (and to take pictures). I hate that it's at the second busiest time of the year (week before Easter and week after) but I don't get to choose when she marches. Our plan is to let her have her 3 days in the Disney parks with her budettes (which includes the MK day), then "check her out of school" at the hotel the morning they leave to go home and have her stay with us a couple days because then spring break starts (she's a senior, perfect attendance, great grades, hopefully no problem).

DW instructed me to make some Dining Plans this trip beyond the one or two we normally do. I offered to pay/schedule some tours like Keys to the Kingdom or pay for La Nouba at Disney Springs but DD and DW wanted to eat table service. Honestly, we don't do that a lot (usually once or twice on a trip and rarely in the parks - more often Disney Springs or at a resort). So I can make an ADR. We have dinner ADR's at BOG and The Plaza in MK and lunch ADR's at Tony's and Liberty Tree Tavern in MK.

We don't plan to go to any other park than the MK on this trip. We did Epcot last trip and Soarin' is closed this March and well, Epcot is so 90s (Captain Eo just left). DHS we did the trip before that and it's about to be a construction zone. We did AK years ago and I think they are still building the blue people land and the rest is the same. But the MK still has a pull (and the direct boat ride from FW).

DD wants to do MK from rope drop to close on a day when the close time with EMH is 2am (I offered DW to run around with her late after 10pm but DW beat me to it and offered me up). No "back to the Fort for an afternoon nap" per DD. So, gulp, I am stuck at MK past midnight and I'll bet SouthAlabama5er's truck that DW will sneak off back to the Fort to turn in at a decent hour.

I also want to see some spring training baseball. The Houston Astros train over in Kissimmee and 2016 is their last year there before they move over near West Palm Beach in 2017. I also want to go to Lakeland to see the Detroit Tigers at TigerTown. The Atlanta Braves are over at Disney's Wide World of Sports but I read they will leave after the 2017 spring training for the Tampa/St Pete area. I've been to a Braves game before (expensive ticket, small seat with knees against seat in front, and starters didn't play). So I hope to see the Astros and the Tigers at their places. As a born and raised Cleveland Indians fan (no jokes, please), I like to watch baseball. It's 10x better in person than on tv.

I also have an ADR at Raglan Road which I went to after the 2015 Marathon and Kona Café at the Poly for breakfast one day to get the Tonga Toast. There are more moving parts but that's enough for now.

I would like to hear who else will be there. I like meeting other DIS'sers as in past trips. My favorite experience was in March 2014 when a guy walked into my campsite, introduced himself and shook my hand, and said, "I don't know who you are but my daughter is following your live trip report and she told me since I was here (at the Fort) to come meet you". So I met Rick from Indiana. That's an indication that the trip reports and pictures we post reach more people than you might be aware of.

Stay tuned.

Bama Ed

Disney would hate to hear that, tltay2005. It means they are no longer charging for a premium experience; the logical step, therefore, is to raise rates on golf cart rentals at the Fort. It's been like, what, at least 3-4 years at the $59+tax rate for a 4-seater. They should be creeping it up annually like they do the room/campsite rates a dollar or two a year. People understand the "cost of inflation" type increase. It's the big jump they object to - even when it's been flat over past years.

Well, I'll share a little outline about my upcoming March trip too. I'm looking forward to hearing who else can be there in late March. I recall our posters lokin4deer and Boomer1 chimed in my thread back in August when I had made a March reservation that they would be coming in March too.

To recap, my DD is marching with her high school marching band on Sunday March 20 just ahead of the Main Street Electrical Parade at 10pm in the MK. Her two older brothers, also in the high school marching band, marched in Orlando (oldest brother #1 and #2 in MK and then older brother #2 also at Universal). She is my baby, a senior, and this is her Disney band trip (she is tired of hearing how much fun her brothers had on their trips). As a caring, loving parent, naturally I should be there (and stay at the Fort) for moral support (and to take pictures). I hate that it's at the second busiest time of the year (week before Easter and week after) but I don't get to choose when she marches. Our plan is to let her have her 3 days in the Disney parks with her budettes (which includes the MK day), then "check her out of school" at the hotel the morning they leave to go home and have her stay with us a couple days because then spring break starts (she's a senior, perfect attendance, great grades, hopefully no problem).

DW instructed me to make some Dining Plans this trip beyond the one or two we normally do. I offered to pay/schedule some tours like Keys to the Kingdom or pay for La Nouba at Disney Springs but DD and DW wanted to eat table service. Honestly, we don't do that a lot (usually once or twice on a trip and rarely in the parks - more often Disney Springs or at a resort). So I can make an ADR. We have dinner ADR's at BOG and The Plaza in MK and lunch ADR's at Tony's and Liberty Tree Tavern in MK.

We don't plan to go to any other park than the MK on this trip. We did Epcot last trip and Soarin' is closed this March and well, Epcot is so 90s (Captain Eo just left). DHS we did the trip before that and it's about to be a construction zone. We did AK years ago and I think they are still building the blue people land and the rest is the same. But the MK still has a pull (and the direct boat ride from FW).

DD wants to do MK from rope drop to close on a day when the close time with EMH is 2am (I offered DW to run around with her late after 10pm but DW beat me to it and offered me up). No "back to the Fort for an afternoon nap" per DD. So, gulp, I am stuck at MK past midnight and I'll bet SouthAlabama5er's truck that DW will sneak off back to the Fort to turn in at a decent hour.

I also want to see some spring training baseball. The Houston Astros train over in Kissimmee and 2016 is their last year there before they move over near West Palm Beach in 2017. I also want to go to Lakeland to see the Detroit Tigers at TigerTown. The Atlanta Braves are over at Disney's Wide World of Sports but I read they will leave after the 2017 spring training for the Tampa/St Pete area. I've been to a Braves game before (expensive ticket, small seat with knees against seat in front, and starters didn't play). So I hope to see the Astros and the Tigers at their places. As a born and raised Cleveland Indians fan (no jokes, please), I like to watch baseball. It's 10x better in person than on tv.

I also have an ADR at Raglan Road which I went to after the 2015 Marathon and Kona Café at the Poly for breakfast one day to get the Tonga Toast. There are more moving parts but that's enough for now.

I would like to hear who else will be there. I like meeting other DIS'sers as in past trips. My favorite experience was in March 2014 when a guy walked into my campsite, introduced himself and shook my hand, and said, "I don't know who you are but my daughter is following your live trip report and she told me since I was here (at the Fort) to come meet you". So I met Rick from Indiana. That's an indication that the trip reports and pictures we post reach more people than you might be aware of.

Stay tuned.

Bama Ed

Congrats to your DD, marching at Disney is an exciting experience. My DS played trumpet in his HS marching band. He graduated last year and is now in college, wow that makes me feel old. Also have to agree about baseball. Being there in person is so much fun. We ago to a few Rays game each year. If I get the nerve up, I will stop by and say hi. I may rattle off a lot here, but am quite shy in person.

We will be staying in the full hookup loop, requested 1700 loop.

Went to the Dollar tree today and picked up some Easter decorations for the cart. DH is going to love driving around in a cart covered with pastel Easter egg lights and bunnies.....good thing he loves me and the Fort!

Had to buy and replace the propane hose the squirrel chewed a hole in on our December trip. I guess I better bring more peanuts this trip.

Ed,

If you want to see some 'real' baseball, the Cardinals are over in Jupiter all week. :D

Sounds like a great trip plan so far. We don't go often enough to be satisfied only doing one park, even with all the closings, but it would be nice to get outside the World and see some of the other things in the area.

j

Just so you know, even on this day I do not expect any slacking on your part Ed. I still want an update posted that day, pictures, preferably one of yourself around say 1am or so.

Seriously, I was thinking earlier today, we have had a good group trip report going strong ever since September. Can't remember when this happened last, or ever. This is great so far, so keep it up.

So, gulp, I am stuck at MK past midnight and I'll bet SouthAlabama5er's truck that DW will sneak off back to the Fort to turn in at a decent hour.

Why you gotta bring me (my truck) into it?!

I'll be looking forward to reading along on yalls trip reports!

MK after midnight is really not a bad thing, no lines, no crowds. The castle show at closing and looking at an empty Main Street is really neat. Have some coffee with dinner and you will be fine.:drinking1;)

MK after midnight is really not a bad thing, no lines, no crowds. The castle show at closing and looking at an empty Main Street is really neat. Have some coffee with dinner and you will be fine.:drinking1;)

Here is a photo of the Castle last November when we stayed past closing, you can see there are hardly any people.
IMG_20150907_240001596.jpg

Why you gotta bring me (my truck) into it?!

I'll be looking forward to reading along on yalls trip reports!

Sorry, Randy, I have to explain that joke.

I had a salesman that would call on me years ago named Billy and sometimes he would bring his sales manager named Claudie. Claudie would often use the phrase "I'll bet ..." and then offer up something that wasn't his. Meaning he had nothing to lose. He would often say, "I'll bet Billy's job that..." and of course Billy would yuk it up and it was all very friendly and chummy.

They would pay for lunch and a round of golf occasionally, we bought their product, and life was good. I'm so conservative I don't bet (any thing of my own) but I would be willing to bet something of yours because therefore I have nothing to lose. That was the joke.

Bad joke. Nevermind. :sad2:

Bama Ed

Glad to see this thread near the top again.... it means my trip is near. We ( DH and I) will be arriving on March 10th and leaving on either March 20 the or 21st, depending on how fast we want to drive home. I need to be back to work at 7 am on March 24th.
I have not made any ADRs yet. My parents, along with my aunt and uncle, plan to spend a couple of days touring MK and Epcot with us. My Dad loves Raglan Road and has requested that we enjoy a meal there. We will also be making a trip out to the Tampa area where my in-laws are spending the winter.
I would love to meet you, Bama Ed and your family. We always request the 400 loop as we enjoy being close to the Marina.
Counting down the days till I'm back at the Fort.

Boomer,

Meeting Ed is like nothing you have ever experienced. On his arrival, I predict that the wind will stop blowing, the animals will stand at attention (yes, even the squirrels), the buses will pull over so the passengers can get a glimpse, even the annoying screaming kids on your neighbor's site will shut up out of respect as he is slowly driving up Big Pine Drive.

bow_down1.gif

His suburban will back the A-liner in (perfectly on the first try) and others will gather around the site...in silence...waiting for the door to open.

And then...

tumblr_inline_n3qyd5tI6U1qb14jc.gif

Often, out of respect, other campers will offer to set his site up for him in exchange for a photo opportunity or autograph.

It can only get better if TheRusyScupper stops by to visit with Ed. When those two get together...well...even Congress stops to listen.

It ain't about me. And DW owns my butt. I am hoping for good weather in March, low crowds on the days rated a "10" (LOL), and that the money doesn't run out before it's time to go home (or else we will be going home when da money runs out).

Unless TRS can float me a loan. The squirrels say he's loaded with peanuts. :rolleyes1

Bama Ed

Oh yeah, I'll bet Tiggerdad's bag of peanuts that fellow DIS'ers will be driving by his site on their carts snapping pictures of the world famous Bama_Ed and his Aliner!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter