March 2016 Pre Trip and Trip reports

Happy Easter! We went to the Fort's Candy scramble this morning at 8 and it was great. Tons of candy with the groups separated by ages. There was some kind of prize but didn't win one.
image.jpeg

It was nice to see kids looking so cute and the big boys loved that they had their own section to grab candy. The golden egg hunt was at 9 but we decided to head over early to contemporary and do their activities as mass is at 10 and I didn't want to miss it.

Contemporary had a cute candy scramble, a little fancier because they had more decorations, candy in eggs, and some crafts set up. BUT the fort had much much more candy:).

image.jpeg

The contemporary did have an Easter bunny and we waited in line before rushing over to the mass. Turns out mass is at 10:30 and this is the earliest we've ever gotten to mass:). At least the kids have plenty of candy for breakfast.

image.jpeg

I do have to say that our neighbors were horrible and awful last night. They couldn't figure out their car alarm so it went off every time they opened he door. They were yelling and partying till well past 1. I need to figure out the security number just in case I need it tonight. The Fort should have roaming security vehicles after 11 or 12. I have a loud family and we can party but this was really inconsiderate.

tltay2005, I like your set up. That is a big site. Camper, ez-up, screen house, love it!

Yes, it was a great site. Most of the sites in the 1700 loop are large. Liked that the comfort station was in the center of the loop instead of on the outskirts. We will be requesting this loop for our other two trips this year.

I have been negligent in my posting duties but I am about to make up for that. :thumbsup2

Yesterday evening I'd say I get an A for effort at least. In the afternoon I had a fellow camper (and a DIS member) from 200 loop walk up after seeing my DIS sign and asked about the wooden Musket Mickey sign. Chris/calsqr from Sarasota wanted to get the contact info on how to get a sign and I was happy to give it to him. So Warren can anticipate another happy customer. Chris, have a great stay.

Those of you who have followed this thread know I had three spring training baseball games lines up in three consecutive days. The first two were called/postponed due to rain after 3 and 4 innings respectively. My last chance to see a full game was last night with the Houston Astros vs. the Miami Marlins at the Astros complex over in Kissimmee where Hwy 192 meets the FL Turnpike. Even though there were dark clouds in the sky I made the drive over and with light rain falling made my way into the stadium. The game was already on hold so I took a seat up under the roof and waited with the rest of the fans.

This is the last spring training season for the Astros in Kissimmee - next year they move over to West Palm Beach. Last night was the last home game of the spring for the team; thus management really tried to play the last Astros home game ever in Kissimmee for the fans. We waited for 90 minutes when they made the announcement they would play the game and sent the grounds crew out to get the water off the tarp and make the field ready for play.

While they were working, more rain started to fall and the game was called off. So I went oh-for-three. Nevertheless, I saw three spring training stadiums, had an adult beverage in each, and rediscovered the allure of spring ball. At this point in the season all the teams are undefeated and optimistic about their chances. So I tried.

It rained pretty hard on the way back to the Fort last night but at least I slept well. This morning we headed off to the Contemporary for Sunday Easter Mass which was fun and interesting. It was in the big Fantasia ballroom and there were about 3,000 people there. We had boated over for the service and were on the CR dock ready to boat back to the Fort when we saw amcc and her family on the dock too as they had been at the same Easter Mass. It was nice to have an extended time to chat and meet/introduce the various family members.

On the walk back through loop 100, I saw a truck camper in front of a Class C. Can I get a ruling on this arrangement? Does this constitute two campers on one site?

BTW, all kinds of Fort rules have been broken/ignored while I've been here. Kids driving golf carts, 4 cars parked on a site, dogs in tents, 15 people on a site, open fire pits spitting embers into the air. Cast Members aren't going to stick their neck out if management won't back them. As long as nothing bad happens, it appears Disney will not intervene as long as the cash is rolling in. And it's rolling, baby. I looked up the rates at the Poly for Easter 2016 where I ate breakfast yesterday when I doubt there are any discounts. Rates range from $750/night to over $1,000. Cash is flowing like a river here.

Meanwhile, back at my humble little ol' site, I am trying to use up my food items so I don't have to carry all this food home. So I made grilled cheese for lunch today. DD says I do make a decent grilled cheese sandwich.

I'm using my new electric skillet outside on the picnic table. I got it for tailgating this past fall with my generator and I'm finding new ways to use it. I should start referring to it as "my outdoor trailer kitchen".

After lunch it was time for a game of Disney putt putt. This was at the request of DD who remembered past putt putt events on previous trips. If you recall, last time we encountered DD, she put my puzzle together while I went to the grocery store. I wanted to work on it during my entire stay and put the last piece in on the last day of our trip. Her Type A personality killed that notion. Going behind my back like that will not be tolerated. She had to be taught a lesson. Full of self-confidence, she told me she was going to beat me at putt putt. Poor child - I have a competitive streak in me too.

We played at the complex next to Blizzard Beach, Winter Summerland. It has two courses of equal difficulty with the only difference being one has traditional Christmas music (the Winter course) playing in the background and the other (the Summer course) alternates between The Beach Boys and Jamaican Christmas music. DD chose Summer.

Rounds are $14 for adults and it was fun, I must say. Here are two holes and the challenges that must be overcome.

It's a neat little out-of-the-way place. They even have a snow machine that blows fake snow into the hot air every couple minutes.

The final tally was as expected. DD became more distraught during the round and accused me of cheating (ha!) and was quiet by the end. The universe is spinning on its proper axis again.

More about my bike ride this afternoon coming up. The weather is holding up today and it's nice and hot with some clouds and patches of blue sky at 530pm.

Bama Ed

Ps - Happy Easter from the Fort, everyone.

Last edited:
Here are some photos that I took with my phone that I finally can post now that we are home.
Here is my makeshift closet/pantry. We do not use our shower, we always use the comfort stations, so I might as well use the space.
fw march 2016 001.jpg

Here are some from visiting the horses at the Fort's stables.
fw march 2016 009.jpg fw march 2016 010.jpg fw march 2016 011.jpg

Our last morning was nice, went for our morning drive, then we jumped on the bikes and did the trail over to the WL. The humidity was definitely up this morning. Very warm and muggy breaking down camp. Ordered TE to go for breakfast, so at least we did not have any clean up to do. Since it rained daily, nothing had time to completely dry out, so packing up was not a easy as usual. Took longer than normal, but we got everything packed away and pulled out just in time, 10:57, to be exact!. Made it home in good time, traffic on I-4 was not near as bad as what were thinking it would be. The bad thing about everything being damp, is you have to basically "reset" up camp for everything to dry. Got the trailer all cleaned out and all the other stuff dried and packed away. Tomorrow the trailer gets a bath and then covered up for the long hot summer. Great end to our camping season. Will be back in November, until then, will look forward to reading everyone else's reports.

Lots of activity around the Fort this afternoon.

Here's a nice picture of some canoes coming back in next to the pool (which was slammed full again today).

Nothing earth shattering here (these have been covered by other DIS posters) but I revisited parts of the Fort Wilderness RailRoad (FWRR). There is one area of the FWRR where the real rail still is in the ground and covered up by brush. It's pretty well trampled down near it meaning people are visiting it like I do but I try to include a picture of the rail each trip.

The old FWRR rail bed used to run right next to the Meadow TP on the 900 loop side (I mean right next to the building) and went down through what is now 600 before getting out next to the street (Fort Wilderness Trail) and then broke left running between 800 and 700 loop. There are still old wooden ties and gravel in that section and part of it is part of a dog walk area in the trees back there. Here is the view from the street.

I got off my bike and walked it back between 800 and 700 following the old rail bed.

There is a point along the rail bed where there is a Y (a fallen tree currently marks the spot). The right fork is the original track bed and it wrapped around to the stop that was at the entrance of what today is the 400 loop (the cars would block Fort Wilderness Trail during the stop).

The left fork in the picture is under all the ferns. It is currently blocked by thick underbrush but this was the fork installed when River Country opened so that people could be dropped off at a station BEFORE Fort Wilderness Trail (near the current Settlement Bus Depot) and have a shorter walk to RC. There is a walk around to the left side of the fern-covered left fork.

Anyway, the original/right fork is cleared all the way back out to civilization for easy walking and comes out at the old golf cart parking lot (now blocked off) between the Settlement Bus Depot and Fort Wilderness Trail. You can see the yellow traffic posts as you near the end of the woods view.

Here is my bike where it emerges out of the woods.

Standing right there, if I swing 90 degrees to my right, I see the Settlement Bus Depot (just to give you an idea of where this is).

Going back to the left fork, as I said there is a walk around through a slight open field and then there is an opening in the brush to get back up on the rail bed and follow it out.

This left/old-RC fork comes out right next to the Settlement Bus Depot.

Both forks are easily walkable and it's interesting to see some of the Fort's past.

Tonight I am hoping to make the campfire sing-along with Chip & Dale. The Rescuers is the movie tonight and I won't stay to watch it all but I may start it.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Is that view from behind the 300 loop? Our friends stayed on the site right next to the entrance of the path and we were back there and I noticed that you could see The Four Seasons? Golden Oaks? We didn't have a chance to walk all the way over but you could see a bridge over the canal and more manicured paths. Does anyone know if this canal walk continues and if you can access the finer side of life through there? I can't imagine they left it so open...

Is that view from behind the 300 loop? Our friends stayed on the site right next to the entrance of the path and we were back there and I noticed that you could see The Four Seasons? Golden Oaks? We didn't have a chance to walk all the way over but you could see a bridge over the canal and more manicured paths. Does anyone know if this canal walk continues and if you can access the finer side of life through there? I can't imagine they left it so open...

Negative. The Four Seasons and Golden Oaks folks are stuck on their side and unable to experience the joys of the Fort.

Kinda feel sorry for them. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

Ed, I noticed in the one picture where it shows the two 4x4 posts that the chain is down. When I went back in there back in October that little trail led around to a grass opening and there were some hay bails and a big pile of chopped firewood. There was what appeared to be a big deceased oak tree that they were cutting the wood off of. I assume for maybe the outdoor movie or something.

That left fork was for sure choked with underbrush and really impossible to stay on it.
IMG_0058 (2)a.jpg

I hate that all three games got rained out. You would have figured that at least one of them could have stayed dry long enough. I personally have always felt that the weather should not be a factor, kinda like football. Rain, sleet, or snow...

You know, you could have just removed a piece of the puzzle and then posted the picture last with you putting the piece back in place...but, at least you had a brief father/daughter moment before she picked the pace up a notch...or kicked in the afterburners as it would seem.

Last edited:
I have been negligent in my posting duties but I am about to make up for that. :thumbsup2

Yesterday evening I'd say I get an A for effort at least. In the afternoon I had a fellow camper (and a DIS member) from 200 loop walk up after seeing my DIS sign and asked about the wooden Musket Mickey sign. Chris/calsqr from Sarasota wanted to get the contact info on how to get a sign and I was happy to give it to him. So Warren can anticipate another happy customer. Chris, have a great stay.

Those of you who have followed this thread know I had three spring training baseball games lines up in three consecutive days. The first two were called/postponed due to rain after 3 and 4 innings respectively. My last chance to see a full game was last night with the Houston Astros vs. the Miami Marlins at the Astros complex over in Kissimmee where Hwy 192 meets the FL Turnpike. Even though there were dark clouds in the sky I made the drive over and with light rain falling made my way into the stadium. The game was already on hold so I took a seat up under the roof and waited with the rest of the fans.

This is the last spring training season for the Astros in Kissimmee - next year they move over to West Palm Beach. Last night was the last home game of the spring for the team; thus management really tried to play the last Astros home game ever in Kissimmee for the fans. We waited for 90 minutes when they made the announcement they would play the game and sent the grounds crew out to get the water off the tarp and make the field ready for play.

While they were working, more rain started to fall and the game was called off. So I went oh-for-three. Nevertheless, I saw three spring training stadiums, had an adult beverage in each, and rediscovered the allure of spring ball. At this point in the season all the teams are undefeated and optimistic about their chances. So I tried.

It rained pretty hard on the way back to the Fort last night but at least I slept well. This morning we headed off to the Contemporary for Sunday Easter Mass which was fun and interesting. It was in the big Fantasia ballroom and there were about 3,000 people there. We had boated over for the service and were on the CR dock ready to boat back to the Fort when we saw amcc and her family on the dock too as they had been at the same Easter Mass. It was nice to have an extended time to chat and meet/introduce the various family members.

On the walk back through loop 100, I saw a truck camper in front of a Class C. Can I get a ruling on this arrangement? Does this constitute two campers on one site?

BTW, all kinds of Fort rules have been broken/ignored while I've been here. Kids driving golf carts, 4 cars parked on a site, dogs in tents, 15 people on a site, open fire pits spitting embers into the air. Cast Members aren't going to stick their neck out if management won't back them. As long as nothing bad happens, it appears Disney will not intervene as long as the cash is rolling in. And it's rolling, baby. I looked up the rates at the Poly for Easter 2016 where I ate breakfast yesterday when I doubt there are any discounts. Rates range from $750/night to over $1,000. Cash is flowing like a river here.

Meanwhile, back at my humble little ol' site, I am trying to use up my food items so I don't have to carry all this food home. So I made grilled cheese for lunch today. DD says I do make a decent grilled cheese sandwich.

I'm using my new electric skillet outside on the picnic table. I got it for tailgating this past fall with my generator and I'm finding new ways to use it. I should start referring to it as "my outdoor trailer kitchen".

After lunch it was time for a game of Disney putt putt. This was at the request of DD who remembered past putt putt events on previous trips. If you recall, last time we encountered DD, she put my puzzle together while I went to the grocery store. I wanted to work on it during my entire stay and put the last piece in on the last day of our trip. Her Type A personality killed that notion. Going behind my back like that will not be tolerated. She had to be taught a lesson. Full of self-confidence, she told me she was going to beat me at putt putt. Poor child - I have a competitive streak in me too.

We played at the complex next to Blizzard Beach, Winter Summerland. It has two courses of equal difficulty with the only difference being one has traditional Christmas music (the Winter course) playing in the background and the other (the Summer course) alternates between The Beach Boys and Jamaican Christmas music. DD chose Summer.

Rounds are $14 for adults and it was fun, I must say. Here are two holes and the challenges that must be overcome.

It's a neat little out-of-the-way place. They even have a snow machine that blows fake snow into the hot air every couple minutes.

The final tally was as expected. DD became more distraught during the round and accused me of cheating (ha!) and was quiet by the end. The universe is spinning on its proper axis again.

More about my bike ride this afternoon coming up. The weather is holding up today and it's nice and hot with some clouds and patches of blue sky at 530pm.

Bama Ed

Ps - Happy Easter from the Fort, everyone.

Sorry about being rained out of the games. The rain messed up a lot of plans this week. We really wanted to try the putt putt and rent canoes, but it rained the days we had those planned. Will have to try next time.

For next time, where do you park to play putt putt?

Back in the road heading home. Thankfully able to take down camp without rain although we just went through a 10 min blinding thunderstorm on the turnpike.

Last night was gloriously quiet. Our loop was more than half empty so not sure if that was due to throwaway sites or just that it wasn't sold out for spring break. This beauty spent one night.
image.jpeg

On the way out, the calliope(?) that is usually in the horse barn was being trucked out; I wonder where it was going as it must be a pretty cool event to have that playing.

It was great to meet bama_ed - first time I've met a person from the Internet:). It was a pleasure to tak to his family and spend time with someone who gets a love of the Fort.

We're coming back in July and New Year and now waiting to see if the kids have overlapping spring breaks next year to come back.

I want to sell my normal horse trailer for a small 3 horse with small Living Quarter. My sister had one and I even borrowed a friends of mine and stayed at the Fort before I got the 85 rambler which I love... But you can take out the horse slides that keep them separated and if you have a walk thru you can make beds back there for the kids and just leave the door open for AC. The kids love it because they have their own room :)

You just have to wash all the poop out first ;)

Just google Outlaw Conversion Living Quarters, not a cheap one to be found :)

Last edited:
tiggerdad, to follow up on your 2100 loop cabin, site 2107 was the only one without a cabin on it.

Before we went to Lakeland and the Tigers game, we drove past on I-4 down to Plant City and stopped at Parkesdale Markets for their World Famous Strawberry Shortcake. It's a vegetable market as well as a promoter of all things strawberries (which must be a local agriculture staple).

They had quarts and trays of fresh strawberries for sale.

As I said it's a fruit/veggie market too.
Bama Ed

Glad to see you made it Parksdale. Love that place, its around 20 minutes from my house :)

As far I-4 traffic. Depends on day and time more than anything. But this time of year anything past the Old Boardwalk and baseball exit is pretty much SLOW......

Ed, I noticed in the one picture where it shows the two 4x4 posts that the chain is down. When I went back in there back in October that little trail led around to a grass opening and there were some hay bails and a big pile of chopped firewood. There was what appeared to be a big deceased oak tree that they were cutting the wood off of. I assume for maybe the outdoor movie or something.

Tiggerdad,

That does explain something else I saw. There were no bails of hay, no chopped firewood, no downed tree in the open grassy area near the walk-around. But there were two large storage boxes with a key lock on each maybe 4x4x4 each that probably held hand or power tools to do the cutting on location there. I wondered why they were there and was going to lift the lid and take a peek but noticed they were locked.

This morning was a late start. We had one brief shower about 445am and that was all until about 230pm today. My girls slept in late, got a late start, and DD got some on-line school work finished after breakfast and I took a morning bike ride not far away from 100 loop. With a helmet tap to Jets70, here is a panorama picture of the beach Fort sign and the beach too.

Up at Trails End, there was still a good sized crowd there for breakfast.

The carriage was already out and ready to give rides.

Lots of kids bikes lined up outside TE.

This little girl had 4hula hoops going while waiting for breakfast.

Over to the right of the Settlement TP, the nature trail/road had its tall trees in the sky.

In the 200 loop, there was this new-trailer-with-a-retro-look which was cool.

After the homework was done, we loaded up for a bike ride over to the Wilderness Lodge.

Bama Ed

In a way I was glad we took the bike ride down the exercise trail and at the same time, I wasn't. The good news was we hadn't done as much resort hopping as I had hoped for (DW's trick knee was acting up - an old cheerleading injury) so it was good to get over and see a beautiful resort. The bad news was that DW liked the looks of Wilderness Lodge - a lot. She started asking questions about how much it cost to stay there. I quickly countered with an offer to stay one night there after a several night stay at the Fort. Not sure that this specific offer will pass muster. Only time will tell.

On the backside of the WL resort next to the lake, the construction of the cabins was in full force. A concrete pumping truck was outlined against the sky.

Looking past the pool back toward the core of the central lobby building, the scaffolding is to the left of it where that wing is being converted into DVC rooms, probably studios.

We were fortunate to be there when the Old Geyser went off at the top of the hour and put on a show.

A favorite place of mine at WL is the Golden Spike Room in the DVC building off the entrance which is focused on Walt Disney's love of trains.

It looks like a nice room to read in or play some board games or cards. They did have a nice checkers board in there.

One of the prize displays are two pieces of Walt's backyard railroad, the Carolwood Pacific.

We biked leisurely back to our site for lunch. Then the girls were chomping at the bit to head over to Disney Springs (formerly known as Downtown Disney) to do some shopping and then take in our dinner with a reservation at Raglan Road.

Bama Ed

I won't be posting any pictures of us shopping because I refused to take any. Humph.

Over a year ago I ate for the first time at Raglan Road with my dad when I came down to run the 2015 Half Marathon. We enjoyed it both very much - so much so that while he was here this past week he took my mom to eat there and I took DW and DD there tonight and they both loved it.

Naturally I wanted to capture the full essence of the place so I got a Kilkenny's and settled in to listen to the Irish folk lady singer performing on the patio. Kilkenny's has the foam and bubbles of a Guinness but tastes more like a beer and less like coffee to me which Guinness does.

I had learned this time around to request a table in the main dining room and we were rewarded with a great view of the Irish dancers and musicians. It's a great combination of human performance, good food, music, and culture.

I also bought two music CDs in the RR gift shop.

Back to the Fort tonight for a full night's sleep. March is running out of days and so are we on this vacation. DD has us doing the MK tomorrow from open to close (8am-12mid) tomorrow (Tuesday) with ADRs at The Plaza for lunch and BOG for dinner. Then Wednesday we pack it all up and take it all back to Alabama. Time for somebody else to take over site 104 (maybe one of our April trippers will land there?).

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter