March 2016 Pre Trip and Trip reports

93b801acb4fcee6f3bb30adf0efdb177.jpg

Not just "Smart" but "Strong"

I must be bad luck. I am in Lakeland for the Detroit Tigers game and this game is in a rain delay too. Its headed to the Fort. The front literally passed right over us.

Of course, the music they play during the delay is full of rain references like James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" and BJ Thomas' "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head". I am safe and dry up under the roof in a seat. Fun times indeed.

Oh, 3-1 Braves over the Tigers after 4 innings.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
We made it. About 22 hours straight through from northern Illinois, raging wind, rain, mist most of the way. Got here and set up before the rain hit here too. We didn't get the 1300 we wanted and ended up in the 1000. Hey, any site is good right now. The wind was so strong in southern Illinois in one point we ran about thirty miles in fifth gear. Surprising, 1200 miles and 10.5 mpg The new truck and camper were a good team together. Might look into a bigger fuel tank though just to be safe. Set up without Mickey light and other things, loading a new camper in the cold and rain was just no fun. Just threw things in. Will look for things tomorrow. I have to go to the airport tonight to pick up DS and gf.

Nov 1975 FW 500 Loop 3 Nights.......Jun 1977 Off-Property 5 Nights.....Jul 1993 Off-Property 7 Nights
Jul 1995 Dixie Landings 7 Nights.......Jul 2003 FW 1400 Loop 7 Nights.....Jun 2006 DL Off-property 7 Nights
Jul 2006 FW 900 Loop 12 Nights.......Jul 2009 FW 1300 Loop 14 Nights....Mar 2010 DL Paradise Pier 8 Nights
Mar 2011 FW 1300 Loop 11 Nights....Mar 2013 FW 1300 Loop 10 Nights.....Mar 2014 FW 1300 Loop 12 Nights
Mar 2015 FW 1300 Loop 9 Nights

***2008 Chevy Express Conversion Van / 2007 Coleman Bayside***
Upgraded to
### 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel MegaCab / 2016 Keystone Cougar 326RDS ###
55 foot long when hooked up!

Glad you're in safe through all of that. Now, time to enjoy it.

Rain was really bad last night. Made for a comical dinner with the DS family and our. Nine people total trying to stay dry under a 10x 10 canopy. Made the best of and enjoyed some great burgers, not sure if the rain water made them taste so good :rolleyes1. Took some pictures on my phone, just need to figure out how to get them to the iPad.

Weather held up till 3 and then the heavens broke open with some serious lightning just as we were biking back. I haven't pedaled that fast since I was 8 years old.

Rain was really bad last night. Made for a comical dinner with the DS family and our. Nine people total trying to stay dry under a 10x 10 canopy. Made the best of and enjoyed some great burgers, not sure if the rain water made them taste so good :rolleyes1. Took some pictures on my phone, just need to figure out how to get them to the iPad.

Came by to say hi:). I usually email pictures from my phone and then open the mail in the iPad.

After waking up and cleaning up and drying out after the rain, we took our coffee and went for an early morning ride. Best part of the day, so nice and quiet and lots of Fort four legged residents are out and about.
image.jpg image.jpg

After our ride, headed to Walmart to get new canopy. New rain was coming so we didn't plan much. Took a ride down to the horse barn did some looping. Took our dog to the dog park, he really liked it. Got back to the site just in time to cram everything under the awning. Good thing I packed a movie since it rained for the next two hours. Going to cook some dinner and then have the kids over to decorate Easter cookies. Will check in later and hopefully post some more pictures.

Weather held up till 3 and then the heavens broke open with some serious lightning just as we were biking back. I haven't pedaled that fast since I was 8 years old.

Came by to say hi:). I usually email pictures from my phone and then open the mail in the iPad.

Sorry, I was inside with My son watching a movie. DH told me you came by. Hopefully we can swing by your site later. I will try emailing the pictures, thanks for the idea.

Amcc, thanks for the tip about transferring photos. Got them transferred, but now they are to big to upload.:confused3. Will have to see if I can reduce them.

New neighbors have a set up I have not seen at the Fort before. Maybe they have really big dogs, :rotfl:

image.jpg

[QUOTE="tltay2005, post: 55425683, member: 545991

New neighbors have a set up I have not seen at the Fort before. Maybe they have really big dogs, :rotfl:

View attachment 158263[/QUOTE]

Have actually seen several horse trailers in my visits. A lot of people just utilize the sleeper in the front for a camper. Our neighbor has one and uses it for their camper/horse transport. Also, they utilize the storage in the rear for their golf carts kinda like a toy hauler.

Had to google to see after....some horse trailer/camper combos have really nice interiors..

tiggerdad, to follow up on your 2100 loop cabin, site 2107 was the only one without a cabin on it.

Cute story to start off our day. First we got ready to head to the baseball game at Tiger Town and I was running behind. Concerned that I had told amcc here that I would stop by this morning, I went by their campsite on the way to the ballgame. They were outside at their site in 2000 when I stopped in front of them, rolled down the window and said, "Are you amcc on the DIS?" (I received a nod in reply). I said, "well I'm Bama Ed". And the lady said, "NO, you're not".

Well, at least I think I am (or thought I was). I mean, last time I checked I was. :teeth: But they were a really nice family. They said they stayed dry last night and we chatted briefly but I promise to return when I could chat more.

Before we went to Lakeland and the Tigers game, we drove past on I-4 down to Plant City and stopped at Parkesdale Markets for their World Famous Strawberry Shortcake. It's a vegetable market as well as a promoter of all things strawberries (which must be a local agriculture staple).

They had quarts and trays of fresh strawberries for sale.

As I said it's a fruit/veggie market too.

The strawberry shortcake is pretty awesome too.

At the Detroit Tigers game, the Braves were there and it was a nice start.

Finally got my turkey leg at the game (I didn't pay Disney prices for it either, humph).

You saw earlier that the game was put on hold due to rain. Is it me? Am I unlucky? Or maybe it's the Braves (both games). I dunno.

This is a good place to break and start a second post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
We drove back up to Disney following the storm in front of us. Will one of you locals tell me what's going on with all the 25mph traffic on the Interstate between Orlando and Tampa. Is it construction? Is it all us tourists? Is it the snowbirds? I got to run at speed for about 20 minutes in each direction and the other 30-40 minutes was stop-and-go to 25mph max.

It was time to check if the storm had bothered my site. The good news is we were fine. One of the reasons I ran late this morning is because I put up my side panels on my EZ up to have a place dry enough to stash the bikes and protect my puzzle. I use these in my Alabama tailgating setup when weather dictates and they came in very handy here. I used 3 clear panels and one crimson/logo pattern on the fourth side.

The bad news is the family that rolled into 103 yesterday didn't fare so well this afternoon. They haven't been back to see it yet. Their screen room got destroyed.

Oh, by the way, for NorthOfMouse, there is an old Volkeswagon bus camper here in our loop. Didn't you say you and DH had one way back in the day?

The family behind me with the 3 tents and the dog that yipped all night in the tent finally left this morning. I admit that when I came back from the MK at 3am the other night, I walked to the back of my site just so the little yipper would hear me and bark at me (and wake up his owners). I feel guilt ridden for doing so. :rolleyes:

One thing I noticed is a lot of folks in 100 loop are crammed into their sites because they don't use the tent pad behind them or put their rear wheels on the sand. That leaves very little room up front for the tow vehicle to park even straight on. One new arrival this afternoon had trouble navigating the turn at the far end of 100 loop because his rig was so long and the vehicles were up close to the road. We talk about this in 300 loop frequently but it's a little tight at the back of 100 also.

I worked on my puzzle this afternoon and made some progress. DD took an interest in it and helped me so it was a nice daddy-daughter activity. Thing is, though, she is so Type A that she was working it pretty quickly and I encouraged her to slow down so it would take longer than tomorrow to finish it. She looked at me like I had two left feet growing out of my head. :crazy:

We got the GiddyUp And Go (aka GAG) from TE Takeout and ate it on the side porch. It was the all breast version for $28 (8 pieces, 2 sides, and corn bread). We still have leftovers.

My folks are headed home tomorrow morning but we are here for a couple days more. The horse drawn carriage and wagon have clip clopped by while typing and a new RV rolled in behind me. Wish we could get a break from this weather.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know how that little white sedan managed to back that thing in.
That Fuzion is a toy hauler. I'll be the little white car rode to the Fort in the rear. :)

Had to google to see after....some horse trailer/camper combos have really nice interiors..
The horse trailer RVs were the first "toy haulers". They've been around a long time and, yes, some of them a very nice.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter