• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

Just a personal experience from running one half without POT and one with at DIS. (I've never seen it really matter anywhere else FWIW). So in 2016, Wine and Dine was my first half and I had no POT because in the Houston area, if you don't run the half in January at the Houston Marathon or the Woodlands Half in March, there is nothing over the summer and I was not up to 13 miles yet. I did a 10-miler in early OCT, but too late.

I'm in houston - there are other half marathons here besides the houston and woodlands one - there is the bayou half series (http://www.bchalfseries.com/). There are also several 10 milers that can also be used in place of the half (https://texas10series.com/) - though not all of the 10 milers are in the immediate houston area but a bunch are. We also have the Space City 10 miler. And there is also the Bridge Series that includes two 10ks, and finishes with a half marathon in November (usually).

There are also several 10 milers that can also be used in place of the half

I'm glad you mentioned that. @DopeyBadger has discussed it before, but if you look at the pace required to earn a PoT in a 10-miler vs a HM, you may agree that for many runners, the 10-miler will be easier. The cut-offs are 1:54 for a 10-mile or 2:30 for an HM. The 10-mile required pace is thus about 11:24 min/mile, while the HM required pace is about 11:27 min/mile.

Last edited:
I'm in houston - there are other half marathons here besides the houston and woodlands one - there is the bayou half series (http://www.bchalfseries.com/). There are also several 10 milers that can also be used in place of the half (https://texas10series.com/) - though not all of the 10 milers are in the immediate houston area but a bunch are. We also have the Space City 10 miler. And there is also the Bridge Series that includes two 10ks, and finishes with a half marathon in November (usually).

Don't forget the Seabrook Half in March or Pearland or Sugarland or...or... There are plenty to choose from besides the two first mentioned.

Maybe I am looking at this or Princess depends on logistics.
I would be doing 1/2 Marathon what do you guys like better this one or Princess better?
This would be my first 1/2 Marathon, I have done a ton of 5k and some 10ks. Now I want to push myself to 1/2 marathon.

Last edited:

I would be doing 1/2 Marathon what do you guys like better this one or Princess better?
This would be my first 1/2 Marathon, I have done a ton of 5k and some 10ks. Now I want to push myself to 1/2 marathon.
I can't speak to running Princess as I never have. I do know that the courses for WDW 1/2 and Princess Half are identical.

To me then it comes down to race experience. If the return of runDisney also includes the return of something akin to the regular experience, then you are essentially choosing between a wide variety of character stops along the course from a wide variety of Disney, Pixar, and possibly Marvel movies. This can, but does not necessarily include princesses. If the WDW Half does include princesses, plan on 1 or 2 princesses along the course. For obvious reasons the Princess Half will feature more princesses. Those who have run Princess can provide more information on if the characters are exclusive to Princess movies or if they branch out a little bit.

One other factor that may matter is your feelings about being part of the "main" event. For marathon weekend, they place a lot of emphasis on the marathon and Dopey. If you would somehow that you are a "lesser" runner for "only" choosing the half, then Princess may be the better choice. And note that choosing a race makes you a runner. Period. I will never forget the excitement and enthusiasm of a lady I met after the 2017 Avengers Half at Disneyland who had just run her first 5K. She was so excited and proud of her tremendous accomplishment. I'm glad that she felt she could share her excitement with me because she was a fellow runner.

Theme/medal can also play a part in your decision. The WDW Half medal has historically featured Donald Duck. The Princess Half medal has in recent years begun to feature a different princess each year. You will not know who is on the medal when you register and you will need to register for Princess as soon as they post registration.

If you just want a runDisney half marathon experience, then I think you choose the weekend that best meets your schedule.

Whatever you decide, best of luck in your training.

I did the 2019 Marathon Weekend 1/2 as my first 1/2 ever and then did the Princess weekend challenge in 2020. So I can give you my personal opinions. Overall, I liked the MW better. I really wanted to like the Princess weekend, but it had a few hiccups for me that I just couldn't get over.

- The race merchandise shopping was crazy stupid. We got held in another room for a hour and a half to even get let in. And then everything was incredibly picked over (and this was on the afternoon of Day 1) and a mess. I really wanted a jacket and you had to go through PILES of discarded merchandise that were EVERYWHERE, scavenging for what you might be looking for, which I never did. Then you had to wait in another massive line to check out. MW was nothing like that experience and we were there approximately the same time of day.
- The Princess weekend was the first time that I had done a Disney 10K and I hated the experience. I was in the last starting corral for the 10K (even through I was in the first non-POT corral for the half) and the crowds were insane. I got stuck back in the pack and couldn't find room to run. I do intervals and wound up winging it - running when I could, walking when I had to. I like 10K distance, but my race experience that day just stunk. They don't take POTs for the 10K so I'm not sure how to be 100% sure it wouldn't happen again.
- We did the Universal parks for both trips and the crowds during the Princess weekend were significantly greater than MW. Hotel costs and flights were also more expensive.
- I preferred the slightly cooler weather than I had for the MW than Princess, but of course this completely depends on the year.

Now there were a few pros for the Princess weekend:
- For me and with my job, it was MUCH easier to do the long runs in January/February than during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season. That is one of the things that has me nervous about Dopey training.
- I could do the challenge on the Princess weekend and get the weekend's "big medals." The only way to do a challenge for MW is to add the marathon distance, which is a BIG commitment. The 10K/half is much more reasonable to me.

The half marathon course is - historically - virtually the same for both weekends (spoiler alert: a lot of highway, run down Main Street, through the castle, into the backstage area and back out on surface roads/highway, don't blink going through Epcot and finish) so there isn't a pro/con with that. Honestly, after my nightmare 10K, I was never so happy to see miles of wide open pavement for the half.

Disney Princess 2011 was my first half marathon :) so I vote Princess. My sister and I made it into a girls' trip (though race morning she was at the hotel ordering room service). If you will be running with someone who prefers marathon weekend, that would be an argument for marathon weekend. Princess weekend has a better chance of good weather, being in late February, though the Christmas decorations are typically still up in the MK and sometimes Disney Springs for Marathon weekend.

I just feel like so much of the focus marathon weekend is on challenge runners that one can feel overshadowed, even if you have a big personal accomplishment (and maybe that is just my personality). It's the only place where people say they are "only" doing a marathon. I did the 10k and half marathon 12 weeks after having my daughter, yet I felt my accomplishments would have been a bigger deal had I waited until Princess weekend (but my oldest kid turned 3 between marathon weekend and princess weekend, so not having to buy him a ticket was the only reason we picked the January race weekend).

Disney Princess 2011 was my first half marathon :) so I vote Princess. My sister and I made it into a girls' trip (though race morning she was at the hotel ordering room service). If you will be running with someone who prefers marathon weekend, that would be an argument for marathon weekend. Princess weekend has a better chance of good weather, being in late February, though the Christmas decorations are typically still up in the MK and sometimes Disney Springs for Marathon weekend.

I just feel like so much of the focus marathon weekend is on challenge runners that one can feel overshadowed, even if you have a big personal accomplishment (and maybe that is just my personality). It's the only place where people say they are "only" doing a marathon. I did the 10k and half marathon 12 weeks after having my daughter, yet I felt my accomplishments would have been a bigger deal had I waited until Princess weekend (but my oldest kid turned 3 between marathon weekend and princess weekend, so not having to buy him a ticket was the only reason we picked the January race weekend).
I would be doing it alone. I ask my mom and my husband and neither want to try a 1/2 marathon. They may come to cheer me on though.

I did the 2019 Marathon Weekend 1/2 as my first 1/2 ever and then did the Princess weekend challenge in 2020. So I can give you my personal opinions. Overall, I liked the MW better. I really wanted to like the Princess weekend, but it had a few hiccups for me that I just couldn't get over.

- The race merchandise shopping was crazy stupid. We got held in another room for a hour and a half to even get let in. And then everything was incredibly picked over (and this was on the afternoon of Day 1) and a mess. I really wanted a jacket and you had to go through PILES of discarded merchandise that were EVERYWHERE, scavenging for what you might be looking for, which I never did. Then you had to wait in another massive line to check out. MW was nothing like that experience and we were there approximately the same time of day.
- The Princess weekend was the first time that I had done a Disney 10K and I hated the experience. I was in the last starting corral for the 10K (even through I was in the first non-POT corral for the half) and the crowds were insane. I got stuck back in the pack and couldn't find room to run. I do intervals and wound up winging it - running when I could, walking when I had to. I like 10K distance, but my race experience that day just stunk. They don't take POTs for the 10K so I'm not sure how to be 100% sure it wouldn't happen again.
- We did the Universal parks for both trips and the crowds during the Princess weekend were significantly greater than MW. Hotel costs and flights were also more expensive.
- I preferred the slightly cooler weather than I had for the MW than Princess, but of course this completely depends on the year.

Now there were a few pros for the Princess weekend:
- For me and with my job, it was MUCH easier to do the long runs in January/February than during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season. That is one of the things that has me nervous about Dopey training.
- I could do the challenge on the Princess weekend and get the weekend's "big medals." The only way to do a challenge for MW is to add the marathon distance, which is a BIG commitment. The 10K/half is much more reasonable to me.

The half marathon course is - historically - virtually the same for both weekends (spoiler alert: a lot of highway, run down Main Street, through the castle, into the backstage area and back out on surface roads/highway, don't blink going through Epcot and finish) so there isn't a pro/con with that. Honestly, after my nightmare 10K, I was never so happy to see miles of wide open pavement for the half.

Good to know. I will not be flying in till Friday evening and then leaving Monday ( I have 4 day work week Tues-Fri). I have limited time off so I would still work Friday or least half the day and I would have left over pickings of Merchandise no matter what.
I can't speak to running Princess as I never have. I do know that the courses for WDW 1/2 and Princess Half are identical.

To me then it comes down to race experience. If the return of runDisney also includes the return of something akin to the regular experience, then you are essentially choosing between a wide variety of character stops along the course from a wide variety of Disney, Pixar, and possibly Marvel movies. This can, but does not necessarily include princesses. If the WDW Half does include princesses, plan on 1 or 2 princesses along the course. For obvious reasons the Princess Half will feature more princesses. Those who have run Princess can provide more information on if the characters are exclusive to Princess movies or if they branch out a little bit.

One other factor that may matter is your feelings about being part of the "main" event. For marathon weekend, they place a lot of emphasis on the marathon and Dopey. If you would somehow that you are a "lesser" runner for "only" choosing the half, then Princess may be the better choice. And note that choosing a race makes you a runner. Period. I will never forget the excitement and enthusiasm of a lady I met after the 2017 Avengers Half at Disneyland who had just run her first 5K. She was so excited and proud of her tremendous accomplishment. I'm glad that she felt she could share her excitement with me because she was a fellow runner.

Theme/medal can also play a part in your decision. The WDW Half medal has historically featured Donald Duck. The Princess Half medal has in recent years begun to feature a different princess each year. You will not know who is on the medal when you register and you will need to register for Princess as soon as they post registration.

If you just want a runDisney half marathon experience, then I think you choose the weekend that best meets your schedule.

Whatever you decide, best of luck in your training.
I may care about being apart of the main event... not sure. I have not really thought about it. When I did my DIsneyland 10k I was not the main event but loooved it so much. So not sure.

Based on your schedule, it might be hard to make it to the expo in time for bib pickup marathon weekend. Half marathon bibs would need to be picked up by 7pm Friday evening, if the expo keeps the same hours it did in the past. At least the other race weekends hold the half marathon on Sunday so you can attend packet pick up on Saturday if you don't make it in time for Friday pickup. Something else to consider. A Thursday through Sunday trip may work better for marathon weekend.

It's slightly disheartening to read that people feel that MW is focused on the Challenges (Dopey/Goofy) and the Marathon. I am sure that I have also used the "just" word early on to describe whatever race i may have been running, but I can't say that it made a difference in the enjoyment or challenge of my specific race(s). I certainly don't qualify my races with "just" anymore.

Please, to all who have raced and felt somehow dissed and to all considering this weekend to start their Disney running experience, run your race with pride/excitement/defiance/happiness/etc. And drop the "just" when you tell people what you are running.

It's slightly disheartening to read that people feel that MW is focused on the Challenges (Dopey/Goofy) and the Marathon. I am sure that I have also used the "just" word early on to describe whatever race i may have been running, but I can't say that it made a difference in the enjoyment or challenge of my specific race(s). I certainly don't qualify my races with "just" anymore.

Please, to all who have raced and felt somehow dissed and to all considering this weekend to start their Disney running experience, run your race with pride/excitement/defiance/happiness/etc. And drop the "just" when you tell people what you are running.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. It was seeing all of the people that finished the 5k and 10k that got me to believe I could run any of the races in the first place. Whether it's as far as you ever want to run, a first step into something longer, whatever, go race your race with pride. You won't be along, and I haven't met anyone at a Disney race that would intentionally belittle someone for having the good sense to not get up that early 4 days in a row.

Based on your schedule, it might be hard to make it to the expo in time for bib pickup marathon weekend. Half marathon bibs would need to be picked up by 7pm Friday evening, if the expo keeps the same hours it did in the past. At least the other race weekends hold the half marathon on Sunday so you can attend packet pick up on Saturday if you don't make it in time for Friday pickup. Something else to consider. A Thursday through Sunday trip may work better for marathon weekend.
Ohh forgot about packet pick up timing, wish they would have it open later for picking up packets..... good point.

- The Princess weekend was the first time that I had done a Disney 10K and I hated the experience. I was in the last starting corral for the 10K (even through I was in the first non-POT corral for the half) and the crowds were insane. I got stuck back in the pack and couldn't find room to run. I do intervals and wound up winging it - running when I could, walking when I had to.
I was in the very last corral for the 2020 WDW 10K and the massive sea of humanity, many of whom were very fearful of being swept, I wound up starting perhaps a minute or two ahead of the balloon ladies. I had enough time to stop for mile marker photos and that was it. Missing character photos was not that big a deal for me since as a back of the pack runner, I've come to accept that I may have to skip those. But if character photos during a race are make or break for anyone, then you should get a proof of time to give yourself a larger cushion. I had a much better corral placement for the marathon this year and this gave me a lot more time cushion to absorb character stops.
This is a huge factor in determining the best race for you if all things are equal. I can say that I have had to train during the absolute worst times of the year for Star Wars races and still managed to do so, but it is a sacrifice. For me, Star Wars was worth the sacrifice. But I would not feel that way about say Tinker Bell.
Another great point to consider. I spent years believing that the marathon is not for me. Now, even though I have finished two marathons I still very much remember those days. If you are remotely worried about somehow feeling left out, then maybe going for a half marathon only weekend is a better option.
It's slightly disheartening to read that people feel that MW is focused on the Challenges (Dopey/Goofy) and the Marathon.
I think it's the nature of any running event to focus on the longest distance of the weekend. There is more emphasis placed on the half and/or challenge events during the non marathon race weekends, but the nature of the marathon does pronounce that effect during marathon weekend especially because of the 3 day buildup leading up to the marathon. But any runner should never feel that they are somehow less of a runner because they choose the distance they choose, regardless of distance. Getting out there and doing it is something to feel great about and should be celebrated.

I am hoping for Dopey 2022! I'm from Germany, so even if the races take place as normal (more or less), there's still a huge question mark with regard to being able to travel or not. I really do hope that things will settle down a bit during 2021 so that by 2022 we'll be back to something resembling normality... :)

I started running because I found out that Disney gave you medals for somehow making it to the finish line, and the bling is still THE main motivator for running. I largely stopped running when the Disneyland Paris weekend was cancelled and only re-started 3 days ago. :crazy2: I have signed up for two local races and am keeping my fingers crossed that they will take place, but to be honest, Dopey 2022 is the real carrot dangling in front my nose. :rotfl:

Hi everyone! First time posting, I love the community y'all have set up here :)

Does anyone have an idea when they generally put up registrations for MW? I'm hoping to run my first marathon MW 2022, but I'm guessing it's going to be a hard year to register. Any tips or tricks on that front?
So much unknown. Normally in the spring time is when registration opens but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it delayed.

As for tips just be ready to go when it opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter