• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

My guess is this has been noted somewhere but are the “working dates” for this Jan 5-9? Have a reservation for wine and dine weekend, but thinking we’ll want this as a backup as I’m pretty confident this will happen while fall 2021 is probably 2/3 likely. Thanks
I’d definitely think so. Jan 12-16 seems too late.

Wonder if they'll allow POT's from 2020 since COVID made official 2021 racing very difficult. If I can't get A corral with a 2020 POT I doubt I'll even bother registering since I'm going for sub 2:50.

Wonder if they'll allow POT's from 2020 since COVID made official 2021 racing very difficult. If I can't get A corral with a 2020 POT I doubt I'll even bother registering since I'm going for sub 2:50.
That’s nearly two years. PoT is going to be a mess but I’m not sure they can do that. While there aren’t the normal amount of races there are local chip times races happening now and as more things improve they will continue to come back.

If 2022 Marathon Weekend can happen live, I’m even more anxious about registration now. With such a long break, people are going to be so ready to sign up that I just anticipate a nightmare.
Yeah, this is an event that falls into the category of concerts, Broadway shows etc....When those are a go again, it's going to be like winning the lottery to get tickets. Regular season baseball games may sell out...LOL

That’s nearly two years. PoT is going to be a mess but I’m not sure they can do that. While there aren’t the normal amount of races there are local chip times races happening now and as more things improve they will continue to come back.
No chip timed races in my county, and few in the area. Those that are in nearby counties have mostly been 5k or trail races which, of course, are much slower than road races. And we haven’t wanted to go very far out for racing. I think most people would NOT have appropriate POT, and many corrals will have to be based on appropriate times submitted by runners. E.g. right now I’m running a 10-11 minute mile, and also was able to do that for the Peachtree Virtual 10K. For a half or challenge, it would most likely be 11-12. If only people would be honest!

No chip timed races in my county, and few in the area. Those that are in nearby counties have mostly been 5k or trail races which, of course, are much slower than road races. And we haven’t wanted to go very far out for racing. I think most people would NOT have appropriate POT, and many corrals will have to be based on appropriate times submitted by runners. E.g. right now I’m running a 10-11 minute mile, and also was able to do that for the Peachtree Virtual 10K. For a half or challenge, it would most likely be 11-12. If only people would be honest!

Your last sentence is the problem. Many Disney runners are not honest with their times and paces because they want extra time for character stops, to beat the balloon ladies, or both. I expect the 2022 races will require POT from 2020 or 2021, and possibly extending back to 2019.

I live in suburban Chicago and while there have been almost no races in the area, I have raced this summer/fall in Wisconsin, Indiana, and Kentucky. The Run the Bluegrass half marathon in Lexington was a long drive, but I was impressed by the measures they were taking to "ensure" (my words) safety, and I managed to get the result I wanted to be in a good corral when runDisney starts again. My old PoT was no longer good enough to get into a timed corral with the new requirements.

I took a bit of a calculated risk and now have a PoT for 2021(if W&D happens) and I hope all of 2022. I understand that many/most other runners may decide not to take that risk. Given that, I hope that runDisney extends backwards the dates for a PoT submission.

As far as people being honest...I'm afraid to say it just will not happen. I have spoken with a bunch of people of the past few years who say that:
  • It's not dishonest, it's clever
  • Everyone else does it, so I need to just to keep up
  • For all of the money I paid, I will do whatever I want to
  • You are the bad person, not me, because you may judge me and that is unacceptable
  • It increases my pleasure/satisfaction and that is all that matters

As far as people being honest...I'm afraid to say it just will not happen. I have spoken with a bunch of people of the past few years who say that:
  • You are the bad person, not me, because you may judge me and that is unacceptable

I feel an overwhelming urge to whack these people upside the head, only it won't do any good. Selfish me-centric a-holes will always be selfish me-centric a-holes. One need only look around the country today to see it all in action.

I feel an overwhelming urge to whack these people upside the head, only it won't do any good. Selfish me-centric a-holes will always be selfish me-centric a-holes. One need only look around the country today to see it all in action.
I agree, although that means I would sometimes have to whack myself on the head. I see this attitude everywhere; rich and poor, liberal and conservative, white Black and brown, young and old.

And now off politics and back to runDisney......

I teach at a large public university. The first four points sound like students rationalizing cheating on an exam. The last one doesn't quite fit...

They probably won't do it, but I'd love to see them extend the window AND the cutoff time. A 2:45 half (even for the first year back), would mean more work for placing people but would accurately distribute more people across corrals. Instead of everyone claiming a pace that puts them in the first non-proof of time corral.

One thing to keep in mind, is that if (and it's certainly an unknown if) they keep the POT corral cutoffs the same, then you're looking for a ~1:44 HM or faster for "A" corral in the marathon. That's a 7:57 min/mile pace, and for a fitness level of someone aiming for sub-2:50 that's towards the slower end of their easy spectrum pacing per Daniels. So I think it'll just be a matter of finding a single in-person HM between now and October 2021 that's anywhere close to you. I certainly don't know how easy/hard that will be up through October 2021. But pace wise, getting that "A" POT time shouldn't be much effort such that you could just do a race on a whim and minimal heads-up.

They probably won't do it, but I'd love to see them extend the window AND the cutoff time. A 2:45 half (even for the first year back), would mean more work for placing people but would accurately distribute more people across corrals. Instead of everyone claiming a pace that puts them in the first non-proof of time corral.
Just a personal experience from running one half without POT and one with at DIS. (I've never seen it really matter anywhere else FWIW). So in 2016, Wine and Dine was my first half and I had no POT because in the Houston area, if you don't run the half in January at the Houston Marathon or the Woodlands Half in March, there is nothing over the summer and I was not up to 13 miles yet. I did a 10-miler in early OCT, but too late.

Anyway, I found the people in the first corral without POT to be very accommodating to me, letting me get to the front without any complaints at all before the start. So I was off with clear sailing for about 5 minutes and then I hit a wall of people walking 6-7 across.....thats when the jumping curbs, off and on medians occurred and it slowed me down, BUT my last mile was 8:12. I was irritated because I wanted to come in under 2 hours and I was 2:03.

Fast forward a year later, wife and I did challenge at Food and Wine. I had a POT which made the 10k free of any real obstacles crowd wise, obviously. Very humid that weekend so half seemed like a bear, stopped for a potty break, pictures with Oswald and a couple others (no lines really) whereas I didn't stop once the year before for anything. Final time. 2:05 and without the pics and bathroom, clearly would have been about the same time.

So moral of the story is, your time may not be that affected. I'm always impressed people opt in to the corrals behind the first one that doesn't require POT anyway simply because it makes it harder to get swept the further up you start. Anyway, I hope this is an issue because that means the races have returned!

I am usually in the last corral with a PoT submission, and have not had much of a crowding issue after the first mile or two in the 4 W&D HMs or the 1 Marathon I have run. I have only run 1 10K at W&D and I finished very frustrated. Even at a leisurely pace (for me 13:00 minute miles), I came up on those 6-7 across people walking you mention too many times throughout the race. I zigged, I zagged, I ran on the grass, and I decided I would not run another 10K at Disney unless I was walking or slowly running with a friend.

I think a lot depends on your expectations of what you want to accomplish during the run. For many, waiting in line for character pics is a big, or even major, reason why they signed up. Walkers in front are simply not an issue. For folks wanting to PR, starting in one of the front corrals may be the difference between a PR and an almost PR.

I'm in the middle. I want to run fairly hard, but take in the sights and sounds without stopping for pics or pushing for a PR. A timed corral allows that to happen for me.

Just a personal experience from running one half without POT and one with at DIS. (I've never seen it really matter anywhere else FWIW). So in 2016, Wine and Dine was my first half and I had no POT because in the Houston area, if you don't run the half in January at the Houston Marathon or the Woodlands Half in March, there is nothing over the summer and I was not up to 13 miles yet. I did a 10-miler in early OCT, but too late.

Anyway, I found the people in the first corral without POT to be very accommodating to me, letting me get to the front without any complaints at all before the start. So I was off with clear sailing for about 5 minutes and then I hit a wall of people walking 6-7 across.....thats when the jumping curbs, off and on medians occurred and it slowed me down, BUT my last mile was 8:12. I was irritated because I wanted to come in under 2 hours and I was 2:03.

Fast forward a year later, wife and I did challenge at Food and Wine. I had a POT which made the 10k free of any real obstacles crowd wise, obviously. Very humid that weekend so half seemed like a bear, stopped for a potty break, pictures with Oswald and a couple others (no lines really) whereas I didn't stop once the year before for anything. Final time. 2:05 and without the pics and bathroom, clearly would have been about the same time.

So moral of the story is, your time may not be that affected. I'm always impressed people opt in to the corrals behind the first one that doesn't require POT anyway simply because it makes it harder to get swept the further up you start. Anyway, I hope this is an issue because that means the races have returned!

I’m just impressed you peed AND did character stops in 2 minutes 😂.

I’ve run with and without a PoT at Disney. My experience is that is makes a large difference (at my pace).

I’m just impressed you peed AND did character stops in 2 minutes 😂.

I’ve run with and without a PoT at Disney. My experience is that is makes a large difference (at my pace).
I think it was just Oswald and Dopey and I was in the first corral after the “elite” folks I think so no one really waiting there or at the porta potty. I was sort of surprised it was 2:05 even with my watch going and I sort of conceded sub 2 so I was irritated thinking it would have been close if I made no stops again.

I would add a fun part with no POT is the amount of people you cruise past, it’s mile 6 before you stop passing someone every few seconds. On the downside the following year, people were passing me once in a while which was sort of shocking from my experience the year earlier. Dopey was in Germany I think but the previous year by being forced to go slow to start , felt like it was sprinting through the world showcase but never made up the slow start Should have kicked up the pace sooner. This is from 2017, watch was close. But I jas MapMyRun in headphones and I started that sooner and that time had me at 2:11 and that’s what was pacing me. Oh well093FA213-1D66-4E73-9B27-5B4E2F49A24D.jpeg468186DC-448B-4E39-A9CF-94F7BA7EE6A0.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter