Marathon Weekend 2022

Hi everyone! First time posting, I love the community y'all have set up here :)

Does anyone have an idea when they generally put up registrations for MW? I'm hoping to run my first marathon MW 2022, but I'm guessing it's going to be a hard year to register. Any tips or tricks on that front?
Welcome!

Yes, there are some strategies that make the registration process quicker and easier. A couple that come to mind are trying to register just before and/or just after (seconds not minutes or hours) the start time, and having all of your registration data available at your fingertips (including credit card numbers)

As we get close to the registration date (whenever that is) other tips will surely be reposted.

Considering 2022 for the marathon but might wait until 2023. This will likely be our 3rd marathon, unless we decide on another before Disney, after having done the St Jude in Memphis 2x in last 5 years.

For those who have done this event, how do you compare it to other runs in terms of difficulty? I would think it has enough distractions that it actually makes it easier than many others. Plus I’m assuming it’s relatively flat as I don’t recall too many major hills in my previous Disney parks time.

The Disney marathon course has it's own characteristics and challenges. While yes it is a relatively flat course, there are inclines outside of the parks; highway exit ramps and canal underpasses that throw a certain level of degree of difficulty in to the run. There are also congestion points, sharp turns, speed bumps, and wet boardwalks [caution runners......] along the course that can slow things down if you're running for time. In addition to the course itself, the race starts around 5:30 AM with staggered corral releases for another 45 - 50 minutes. So, assume 1.5 - 2 hours of running in the dark. The early start time also means an early wake up time! Course tweaking has occurred in the past, some major and some minor, but regardless the factors that I referenced have been fairly constant over the years.

I've done it now in the freezing cold and the heat. I think preparing for the weather while training is a big element to consider. It can vary drastically and this past year I ran into multiple people not prepared for the heat at that distance. The entertainment can make the time fly by but it also means you have to monitor yourself as well. It is a ton of fun!

Good to know on the hill element. To be honest this sounds very similar to the Memphis run. I actually get to a point where I’m so glad to be running uphill as it’s finally allowing me to work a different part of my body.

No worries on time. We have to get up in the 430am range to get our midweek runs in anyway and TN weather is close enough that I’ve also had the fun of dealing with cold and hot Dec/Jan runs. Give me super cold anytime but can deal with the heat if we must.

The Disney marathon course has it's own characteristics and challenges. While yes it is a relatively flat course, there are inclines outside of the parks; highway exit ramps and canal underpasses that throw a certain level of degree of difficulty in to the run. There are also congestion points, sharp turns, speed bumps, and wet boardwalks [caution runners......] along the course that can slow things down if you're running for time. In addition to the course itself, the race starts around 5:30 AM with staggered corral releases for another 45 - 50 minutes. So, assume 1.5 - 2 hours of running in the dark. The early start time also means an early wake up time! Course tweaking has occurred in the past, some major and some minor, but regardless the factors that I referenced have been fairly constant over the years.

For me the overpasses are bad not because of the hill aspect but the fact they are banked. The baking on those has really bothered my ankle before.

I'm so ready for 2021 to be over already that I'm planning our 2022 trip for the marathon already...

Does anyone have hotel recommendations for marathon in both the moderate and deluxe price ranges? We're not sure what our budget is going to be yet, but it'll be in there. I'm leaning towards Boardwalk (for proximity) or Caribbean Beach (for Skyliner) but I'm open to anything!

I'm so ready for 2021 to be over already that I'm planning our 2022 trip for the marathon already...

Does anyone have hotel recommendations for marathon in both the moderate and deluxe price ranges? We're not sure what our budget is going to be yet, but it'll be in there. I'm leaning towards Boardwalk (for proximity) or Caribbean Beach (for Skyliner) but I'm open to anything!
I’ve stayed at all three levels for marathon weekend. I definitely would choose an Epcot area resort for deluxe. Caribbean is a great choice for moderate otherwise I might look at Coronado but in the tower.

Choice of hotel re:marathon...there really isn't anything terribly compelling to recommend one resort over another in terms of marathon convenience/amenities (IMO), with the possible exception of race transportation (if you won't have a car) But honestly, that can be a crapshoot no matter where you are. I think it's the usual choice of where you like to stay. I have done Pop, OKW, BCV, AKL, WL,POR onsite for race weekends. Regardless of where you stay, you will need to either drive or take bus/ monorail to race start--no walking through Epcot from BW/YC/BC/BCV, no Skyliner from Riviera/CB/Pop/AoA.

Choice of hotel re:marathon...there really isn't anything terribly compelling to recommend one resort over another in terms of marathon convenience/amenities (IMO), with the possible exception of race transportation (if you won't have a car) But honestly, that can be a crapshoot no matter where you are. I think it's the usual choice of where you like to stay. I have done Pop, OKW, BCV, AKL, WL,POR onsite for race weekends. Regardless of where you stay, you will need to either drive or take bus/ monorail to race start--no walking through Epcot from BW/YC/BC/BCV, no Skyliner from Riviera/CB/Pop/AoA.

I agree, but will point out that with the early wakeup times, you may want to be mindful of the location for noise. Boardwalk view villas aren't great as the action on the Boardwalk goes on until at least 11. Resorts with buildings near boat docks will mean boat horns until transportation stops. And you may get loud fireworks noise at a resort near a theme park (assuming those resume at some point). I usually stay at Boardwalk for races and have been lucky with the buses (and I can walk back through Epcot when the races end after the park is open). But unlike my other visits, during race trips I book standard view for a quieter experience.

I agree, but will point out that with the early wakeup times, you may want to be mindful of the location for noise. Boardwalk view villas aren't great as the action on the Boardwalk goes on until at least 11. Resorts with buildings near boat docks will mean boat horns until transportation stops. And you may get loud fireworks noise at a resort near a theme park (assuming those resume at some point). I usually stay at Boardwalk for races and have been lucky with the buses (and I can walk back through Epcot when the races end after the park is open). But unlike my other visits, during race trips I book standard view for a quieter experience.

Yes....this reminds me of my stay at WL in 2009. I asked for a room at the end of the corridor--the "stub" rooms that overlook Bay lake. Went to bed early and of course forgot all about the Electrical Water Pageant. I had a great view, but it meant I didn't get to bed til 10.

The monorail resorts give you the easiest access to the race start. We love staying at Poly because you can walk right to the Epcot monorail each race morning. The Epcot and Skyliner resorts are my preference for park access during the rest of the trip.

My only caution for a moderate is be mindful of those resorts with multiple bus stops. We were at PO Riverside for 2019 MW and it didn't help my stress level to watch a bus go by and not stop because they were already full from prior stops. I had plenty of time and of course the next one came and had space, but with enough to worry about on race mornings, I prefer not to have to be worried about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter