• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

What is Dopey?

So Dopey is the name given to running all 4 events during Marathon Weekend--the 5k on Thursday, 10k on Friday, Half marathon on Saturday and Marathon on Sunday. So 48.6 miles over 4 days. One registers for the Dopey Challenge. It costs around $600 and for that you get 6 shirts, and if you complete all the races, 6 medals. You also get the joy of waking up early on 4 consecutive days for races that start at 5:30 am. So it is easy to see why it's called Dopey!

So Dopey is the name given to running all 4 events during Marathon Weekend--the 5k on Thursday, 10k on Friday, Half marathon on Saturday and Marathon on Sunday. So 48.6 miles over 4 days. One registers for the Dopey Challenge. It costs around $600 and for that you get 6 shirts, and if you complete all the races, 6 medals. You also get the joy of waking up early on 4 consecutive days for races that start at 5:30 am. So it is easy to see why it's called Dopey!
I can't lie (well I can, but I won't) now I kinda want to do this. Sounds so masochistic.

My family is in! Dd will be 17. She is taking a gap year (finishes a year early this June) and Dopey fits her schedule. She thought she’d have to wait until after university to participate. My other dd will be 11 and she and I will run the 10k for sure and maybe the 5k. I’d like to do the half, but it will wait until my younger dd is older.

Just wondering if I’m better off using a travel agent for this weekend rather than my dvc points to ensure registration. Thoughts?

My family is in! Dd will be 17. She is taking a gap year (finishes a year early this June) and Dopey fits her schedule. She thought she’d have to wait until after university to participate. My other dd will be 11 and she and I will run the 10k for sure and maybe the 5k. I’d like to do the half, but it will wait until my younger dd is older.

Just wondering if I’m better off using a travel agent for this weekend rather than my dvc points to ensure registration. Thoughts?

I think my only concern is that to run the marathon, you need to be 18 to run Dopey/Goofy/Full Marathon. Though policies seem to keep changing all the time.

I think my only concern is that to run the marathon, you need to be 18 to run Dopey/Goofy/Full Marathon. Though policies seem to keep changing all the time.
Really? I hadn’t thought about the age issue. Ah well. I guess she will be in for the 5k, 10k and half then.

I can't lie (well I can, but I won't) now I kinda want to do this. Sounds so masochistic.

I have done Dopey once, and it remains one of my proudest running accomplishments. The thing is, it's a different mindset to do four races vs. one. The pressure is off for racing/setting PR and you can just run for pleasure (which, I have been told, is what most people do at Disney races ;) ) When I did Dopey, I ran 3 of 4 races with some random guy who pegged my pace in the 5k and asked if he could tag along. As a solo runner, It was something I had never done, but it was a fun experience. By the time Sunday's marathon came along, I felt really good and ran a modestly paced race--enough to qualify for Boston (I'm older, so that helped). And I felt the least sore after Dopey than I have in any other marathon.

So it can be done "for fun". As others have noted, getting up in the dead of night for 4 nights in a row is tough---but it does make for great stories to friends/co-workers.

NYC HALF in March is cancelled...stuff like that makes me worried for Star Wars in April.... sigh, i hate this year

Any guesses on when registration will open? Or maybe a better question is how confident is everyone that 2022 can happen? I think Star Wars is very unlikely to go on, but perhaps they’ll be able to start up again with 2021 Wine and Dine. By then, hopefully they can do an in-person event, even if they have to have some modifications (lower capacity, different expo set-up, etc). I’m trying to remain optimistic!

Any guesses on when registration will open? Or maybe a better question is how confident is everyone that 2022 can happen? I think Star Wars is very unlikely to go on, but perhaps they’ll be able to start up again with 2021 Wine and Dine. By then, hopefully they can do an in-person event, even if they have to have some modifications (lower capacity, different expo set-up, etc). I’m trying to remain optimistic!
Well they haven’t mentioned anything about Star Wars yet. They also haven’t given official dates for Wine and Dine 2021 or beyond. I expect we may get something on the future when they update us on Star Wars which really could be anytime now.

My guess is this has been noted somewhere but are the “working dates” for this Jan 5-9? Have a reservation for wine and dine weekend, but thinking we’ll want this as a backup as I’m pretty confident this will happen while fall 2021 is probably 2/3 likely. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter