Marathon Weekend 2022

My 11 year old wants to run the 10K so we are going to plan to go back and I will run with her. If for some reason we can't get into the 10K we will just register for the 1/2 and run to probably the Grand and call it wrap there. She would miss the finish line and medal and get main street so I guess there's somewhat of a tradeoff.

My 11 year old wants to run the 10K so we are going to plan to go back and I will run with her. If for some reason we can't get into the 10K we will just register for the 1/2 and run to probably the Grand and call it wrap there. She would miss the finish line and medal and get main street so I guess there's somewhat of a tradeoff.
If you and your daughter quit running and just keep slowing walking the course, then you will most likely get swept by the balloon ladies before the finish line. My understanding is you would then ride the parade bus to the finish line and still receive your medals.

daughter has to be 14 years or older to be able to register for half marathon

Well. I'm toward the higher end of middle age, am in the worst shape of my life, have a terrible case of plantar fasciitis, and have never run a marathon. But I've always wanted to.

I have over a year to get ready and I think I can do this.

Just typing those words and preparing to hit "post reply" feels like a weighty commitment, but one I'm very excited about.

ok, so has anyone mostly walked Dopey? I am training to walk it, starting early to get my speed up.

ok, so has anyone mostly walked Dopey? I am training to walk it, starting early to get my speed up.

It's certainly possible to walk Dopey. The minimum required pace is 16 minutes/mile. That's not speedwalking, but it's not exactly a leisurely stroll either. With proper training, there's no reason to think you couldn't do that for seven hours.

It's certainly possible to walk Dopey. The minimum required pace is 16 minutes/mile. That's not speedwalking, but it's not exactly a leisurely stroll either. With proper training, there's no reason to think you couldn't do that for seven hours.

Thank you for your encouragement. I have finished 3 halfs, and the Princess Challenge last Feb. It's the leap to the full marathon that's a little scary.

You can absolutely walk Dopey! I’ve done Dopey three times walking it twice and run/walk once. My average walking pace was between 13:00 (5 & 10k’s) and 15:00 (half and full). If you start early and are consistent with your training you should be able to finish with no problems. Good luck!

Well. I'm toward the higher end of middle age, am in the worst shape of my life, have a terrible case of plantar fasciitis, and have never run a marathon. But I've always wanted to.

I have over a year to get ready and I think know I can do this.

Just typing those words and preparing to hit "post reply" feels like a weighty commitment, but one I'm very excited about.
Fixed it for you! See? Progress already! Sit back, relax, take care of that PF, come up with a plan and enjoy the ride [run]. You'll have a lot of fun on this thread....wait until the registration day drama! :surfweb:
There are a lot of supportive people on this thread so let us know if you have any questions or just want to provide us with your updates and progress! Happy planning and training!

Fixed it for you! See? Progress already! Sit back, relax, take care of that PF, come up with a plan and enjoy the ride [run]. You'll have a lot of fun on this thread....wait until the registration day drama! :surfweb:
There are a lot of supportive people on this thread so let us know if you have any questions or just want to provide us with your updates and progress! Happy planning and training!
Haha, thank you; I hope you're right!

And regarding the people on this thread, I see what you mean. I've been reading old posts here just to gain information and everyone is so helpful and supportive, and there is so much great advice. Plus, I've come across some of my favorite posters from other forums!

Just a piece of unsolicited advice, take the time NOW to get treatment for the plantar fasciitis! Do it right and don't skimp on it so that you can go into your eventual training strong.

My story - for as long as I had been running, I would get a stabbing pain in my calf when I would try to start off fast. After I did a couple of miles, I could pick up the pace no problem, but until then I had to go reaaaally slow. Stopping and stretching my calf helped a bit, but never for long. I looked for suggestions, but nothing seemed to work - warming up more, stretching more, strengthening my calves, changing shoes, you name it. Finally, about three months before last year's Princess weekend, I broke down and went to see a physical therapist who is also a runner. At initial assessment he diagnosed the problem (lack of ankle flexibility) and gave me a plan to get me running pain-free. A LOT of my Princess training was done walking since my running was strictly limited by my PT, but during the race, I felt 500x better than my previously races. My only regret was that I didn't seek out help sooner. (P.S. I also had to pay out of pocket for the treatment since it wasn't technically due to an injury, but again, it was totally worth it).

After my PT sessions were over, my therapist referred me to his training program, RunSmart Online, and it focused A LOT on strength programs for runners to prevent injuries. His theory is that injuries are caused by muscle imbalances and to tackle the root cause of the problem rather than the symptoms (i.e. the pain) and that the sooner you acknowledge the problem, the quicker it will be solve it. It makes a ton of sense once you get into it. Also, since he is both a physical therapist and a runner, he is very knowledgeable in both perspectives. (P.S. If anyone wants more information about the RunSmart program, let me know. I find it 100% worth it).

Right now, since there is almost nothing going on race wise and you have plenty of time before 2022, it is the perfect time to get in some strength and hopefully be ready for some injury-free training next year. Again, just my two cents! Take them for what they are worth...

As others have shared take the PF seriously. It is y to Italy treatable but vicious if you don’t. Lots of time to get ready for 2022; you got this!!!

I am thinking about maybe a 10k for 2022. I had a major surgery in March and it has been tough getting back to running with no goal in mind. I am so out of shape from where I was before surgery.
I am hoping Wine and Dine weekend comes back this year, but wouldn’t mind Marathon weekend either. Just need something to look forward to.

You can absolutely walk Dopey! I’ve done Dopey three times walking it twice and run/walk once. My average walking pace was between 13:00 (5 & 10k’s) and 15:00 (half and full). If you start early and are consistent with your training you should be able to finish with no problems. Good luck!
Your post encouraged me. I registered for the 2021 10k which was canceled but really want to do the 1/2. My last half was the princess and I over did it during training injuring my IT band. I ran/walked the whole race in pain! So I’ve been scared to do anything. Knowing that if needed I can walk it. Thanks

2020 Dopey survivor, I’lll be back for 2022 and bringing the family with me to participate in some fashion. I’ve been battling hamstring issues since May, therapy and dry needling, but it just doesn’t go away. Thinking its something more.
Prolonged sitting cause issues too. If I have to I will be walking Dopey!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter