Magic Bands info for the new test dates in August

My DS has been in the parks all week (age 18) with his friend. They are staying at POP and are testing the Magic Bands. Both were very excited for this trip (all alone...no parents or siblings) as their HS graduation gift. Both have been to WDW over 10 times in the past.

They LOVE the FP+, BUT only because they can use regular FP. From what I am hearing from them:

1. They both "lost" the magic band once. DS it popped off on a ride and he picked it up. His friend, completely lost and had to go to Guest Services at MK to get it replaced. Took about 15 minutes to replace it. They gave them two anytime FP's and they have had no problems with it since then. *Don't ask me how they lost them. I can only imagine.

2. They sleep later, something they would not have done without FP +. Get to the parks armed with three FP+ centered around the park that they have ADR's for dinner. Their FP+ is mainly RnR, ToT, EE, Soarin', TT, SM, SPLM....you get the idea. No character meet and greets or parade viewing spots.

3. At their arrival, they also use FP- to get multiple rides (headliners) for times that fit in.

They have both expressed that they would not LIKE the system if they could not get regular FP as well.

Just pointing out the experience from adult teens.
Thanks for sharing your son's experience. I appreciate the feed back.

I am able to schedule FP+ with our Magic Bands for the September trip and the IT support person I talked to a couple of weeks ago said that if I could schedule them I could use them - although I see what you are saying too - if there are no September tests there probably won't be anywhere to read the Magic Bands that we have.

I guess I'm just trying to have my cake and eat it too! I'd love to schedule FP+ for later in the day on rides we'll only need 3 fastpasses for but still be able to pull regular fastpasses for the things we can all enjoy as a family.

Any suggestions on how to plan this fast approaching trip? Just pretend FP+ isn't available to us? Schedule away and hope we'll be able to pull Fastpasses for TSMM and KS?

Has it been confirmed that you can use an AP (or KTTW) to get in and pull fastpasses and still access FP+ with your Magic Band? Wouldn't only one show you as having entered the park, thus you could only use one for fastpasses?

Thanks for the help. I hate that all our travel party isn't on the same footing.
I hear your frustrations. I am trying to figure out what ifs for our upcoming trip and I'm not even sure there will be a test when we are there. We are staying at POP so I figure we will be offered the option of using MagicBands and FP+.

I am perfectly fine not using FP+ if I have access to the regular FP machines. My current concern is that we won't have the option of using the old FP if they are running a test at POP while we are there. Three FPs per day will just not cut it for our family. And I'm stressing that the stand-by lines will be crazy with people pulling multiple FPs using both systems and various different media in the FP machines (not judging, just a concern). I will say my kids are totally spoiled by the whole FP system and I know they will not enjoy a Disney trip that includes waiting 90 minutes to ride BTMRR.

Can anyone answer this question: in order to use FP+ do you have to have a Magic Band? For example, if you are part of the testing and have the ability to obtain a MB do you HAVE to get a MB to use FP+. Let's say you don't want to wear the MB, can you just use your activated key instead of the MB to do all the things you would do with a MB?

FYI for Sept POR guests. Message from Andre-a mod and an expert on POR and Disney(he is there now)

Magic Bands - book yours now!
I was asked to hold back on posting this until today, but Magic Bands will be issued to all Port Orleans Riverside guests for stays commencing 2nd/3rd September onward.

Emails and letters will start going out today to inform guests arriving in 18 days that they can pre-book their FastPass+ times (up to 60 days out in fact) and customise their Magic Bands (colour and name) via the My Disney Experience site. It may not be possible for Disney to contact all guests (e.g. those who have booked via some travel agents) but the new system will still apply to everyone regardless.

Continental USA guests should be able to get their Magic Bands mailed out in advance, others will need to pick them up at the Front Desk when they check in. Key cards will still be issued as a backup for the foreseeable future.

While this is still officially classified as a "test", the general expectation is that unless there are major problems this will most likely remain permanent from now on.

French Quarter will follow within the next few months.

Andre

Justarrived at YC with our MBs. Within 1/2 hour, DH had already lost his (in the pool). FyI -they dont float. Luckily someone found it and turned it in.

Thanks for sharing your son's experience. I appreciate the feed back.

I hear your frustrations. I am trying to figure out what ifs for our upcoming trip and I'm not even sure there will be a test when we are there. We are staying at POP so I figure we will be offered the option of using MagicBands and FP+.

I am perfectly fine not using FP+ if I have access to the regular FP machines. My current concern is that we won't have the option of using the old FP if they are running a test at POP while we are there. Three FPs per day will just not cut it for our family. And I'm stressing that the stand-by lines will be crazy with people pulling multiple FPs using both systems and various different media in the FP machines (not judging, just a concern). I will say my kids are totally spoiled by the whole FP system and I know they will not enjoy a Disney trip that includes waiting 90 minutes to ride BTMRR.

Can anyone answer this question: in order to use FP+ do you have to have a Magic Band? For example, if you are part of the testing and have the ability to obtain a MB do you HAVE to get a MB to use FP+. Let's say you don't want to wear the MB, can you just use your activated key instead of the MB to do all the things you would do with a MB?

I do believe your activated key will not register your FP+ selections. (someone please correct me if I am wrong) We had to scan our magic bands to a "mickey" touch point at each attraction that we had our FP selection.

The magic bands for the testing phase were a real pleasure (in my opinion to use) it's a win win at the moment. You schedule your FP+ ahead of time and still have the option to pull regular FPs.

So I have another question, I have heard conflicting information can you use both fp+ and fp- or is that over

So I have another question, I have heard conflicting information can you use both fp+ and fp- or is that over

As of the phone call I made yesterday to the MDE support number, you can use both simultaneously and that is expected to be that way through the September test dates.

I've skimmed a few of the FP+ threads & haven't found the answer to this question: do you have to do the advance check to get Magic Bands? The FP+ just became active on my Disney account today. Hadn't really planned on getting the option for FP+ or MBs, but now I'm thinking we'll give them a try. We're staying club level so I don't usually do the pre arrival check in, but I will if that's what it takes to get MBs. Thanks!

As an interesting FYI...I of course don't have a MagicBand, but I was at Raglan Road to have a drink at the bar. I handed over my TIW and KTTW cards to pay. He first took the TIW card, and went off to adjust the amount. Then he came back with one of the new portable touchpads, scanned the card via RFID, and had me key in my PIN. He did NOT have me enter a tip in the device, nor did it ask. He took the device back, went off, and a short time later came back with the typical check, which I then had to sign. He told me the gratuity was already included because of the TIW card, but I was able to add some if I wanted the traditional way.

Seems a bit redundant to have to scan and enter my PIN, and still sign a check, but they may still be working that out.

I advise everyone who is selecting FP+ to bring a printout with you. You just never know, I honestly doubt we would have been allowed to ride EE without that printout.

We had one issue on EE with a copied FP+ that didn't transfer properly and they just wrote it in a log and let us all go through. They were tracking the issues by name and band number.

Mom2Luci said:
We had one issue on EE with a copied FP+ that didn't transfer properly and they just wrote it in a log and let us all go through. They were tracking the issues by name and band number.

Did you have a print out with you or did you just tell them?

Has anyone had a person in their party without a magic band or FP+? My mom is local and will be at the parks with us but won't be staying on property with us. I'm wondering what to do? I don't want to leave her out but I also don't want to leave FP's unused. Suggestions? Our party is me DH, DD 6, DD 4, and Mom.

Has anyone had a person in their party without a magic band or FP+? My mom is local and will be at the parks with us but won't be staying on property with us. I'm wondering what to do? I don't want to leave her out but I also don't want to leave FP's unused. Suggestions? Our party is me DH, DD 6, DD 4, and Mom.

I'd speak with your hotel first and see what they can do and if that fails see GR at the parks you are going to. Maybe try to get her a few anytime FPs for each park so she can go on the 3 rides with you all? Or can you add her to your reservation? I know it would be the extra adult cost per night but depending on your length of stay it might be worth it.

Anyone have experience thus far with having a split stay with the MB/FP+? I am looking at adding a one night stay (august 30-31) at POP in which I would hope to have a MB and make FP+ selections but then moving Sept 1 to another resort for the remainder of my stay (one that isn't a selected resort for testing)....

Would I be able to continue to use my MB in the parks and my FP+ selections? I assume I would be given just a regular KTTW card for my new resort and simply use the MB for parks?

We were meeting friends at Disney last December when they ran a test. They were part of the test but we were not. I called, I talked to GR, I talked with our resort concierge. There was nothing they were willing to do to accommodate. And yes, it did affect the quality of our days together. Yes, we pulled some regular FP together, but in the end we were constantly splitting up because they had somewhere else they had to be.

Good luck with working it out.

delmar411 said:
I'd speak with your hotel first and see what they can do and if that fails see GR at the parks you are going to. Maybe try to get her a few anytime FPs for each park so she can go on the 3 rides with you all? Or can you add her to your reservation? I know it would be the extra adult cost per night but depending on your length of stay it might be worth it.

Thank you.

mom2rtk said:
We were meeting friends at Disney last December when they ran a test. They were part of the test but we were not. I called, I talked to GR, I talked with our resort concierge. There was nothing they were willing to do to accommodate. And yes, it did affect the quality of our days together. Yes, we pulled some regular FP together, but in the end we were constantly splitting up because they had somewhere else they had to be.

Good luck with working it out.

Thanks for the info

I do believe your activated key will not register your FP+ selections. (someone please correct me if I am wrong) We had to scan our magic bands to a "mickey" touch point at each attraction that we had our FP selection.

I don't know whether *having* a MagicBand is required to be part of the the FP+ test BUT you do *not* need a MagicBand at the FP+ return. I tested using our RFID tickets and they worked at the touchpoints in lieu of using the MB. I don't think I explicitly tested using the KTTW cards but I would expect them to work as well. In the MDX website, the Magicband, Ticket, and KTTW card were all registered to each individual member of our party.

I've skimmed a few of the FP+ threads & haven't found the answer to this question: do you have to do the advance check to get Magic Bands? The FP+ just became active on my Disney account today. Hadn't really planned on getting the option for FP+ or MBs, but now I'm thinking we'll give them a try. We're staying club level so I don't usually do the pre arrival check in, but I will if that's what it takes to get MBs. Thanks!

No, you do not have to do advance check-in. We did not do advance check-in and we received our test invitation 17 days before our trip and were able to schedule 10 days of of FP+ experiences before we arrived.

Question - this may have been asked before so I apologize if this is a repeat but....

If we have magic bands and use FP+, assuming we can still use the old FP system, what do we put in the FP machine to get a paper FP? Will we still get KTTW cards on top of our magic bands??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter