Just back - room check info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true in our case. We were napping in the afternoon, after requesting at the front desk that housekeeping come between 7:30am and 12:30pm. We have medical reasons for that request; however, the REASON should not matter. It is vacation.
Anyway, my husband fell asleep and I got up to the knocking, at about 2:30pm. I told housekeeping that we were napping and would like her to come back after 4pm when we would be gone. She was not happy with that but left. About 15 minutes later, another knock on the door. My husband answered and security wanted to come in. By that point, we were awake so he told him to come back in 15 min. and we would be gone. Frustrating!

The question is: was security alerted by housekeeping just because we wanted them to wait for one and a half hours so we could get our needed rest? Seems like it is NOT a coincidence to me. BTW the room occupied sign was on the door, too.
I would definitely write Disney Guest relations. There was no reason for Housekeeping to call Security on you just because you asked they return in a couple hours. Tell guest relations your experience and tell them your feelings at the time- anger, embarrassment, whatever. That situation never should have happened- ESPECIALLY since you requested housekeeping in the morning.

The “just use the latch” argument is not as simple as everyone thinks. It used to be normal for me to get up and shower, then while my wife is showering taking the refillable mugs down and get coffees. Can’t use the latch when she is in the shower and I will need to get back in the room. Same can be said if one person wants to nap while others are out and will need to get in the room. They need to remove the room occupied signs if they are totally meaningless, and actually when used seems to be a reason for them to knock.

I would definitely write Disney Guest relations. There was no reason for Housekeeping to call Security on you just because you asked they return in a couple hours. Tell guest relations your experience and tell them your feelings at the time- anger, embarrassment, whatever. That situation never should have happened- ESPECIALLY since you requested housekeeping in the morning.

I did write to them, and see phone calls to an old cell number, which I didn't get. It seems they tried to connect, but were unable. My fault, as I must not have updated my cell number. I never bothered trying to get in touch with them again. I guess I have calmed down since our visit about a month ago.
I do feel all this intrusion is a big concern for everyone. I guess that it will be modified or stopped when a legitimate lawsuit comes along.
So far, all it is doing is alienating guests who deserve some privacy and respect as paying guests. Interesting to see where all this ends up, but I hope it's in the guests favor.

So far, all it is doing is alienating guests who deserve some privacy and respect as paying guests. Interesting to see where all this ends up, but I hope it's in the guests favor.

I think it is likely to end up that guests who have been staying onsite during their many past trips will be more likely to stay offsite in the future, due to this and other recent changes that are driving away longtime customers.

You can bring it and put it on the door but that won't change their policy. If it's their time to check the room, it's their time to check the room. Your sign is not going to stop or change that.

We just checked out a week ago and in our 4 days (5 nights) we only had 1 encounter with housekeeping, check out day. We were up and getting ready and housekeeping knocked on the door. I told her just that, that we were still packing and getting ready and would be out of the room in about an hour or so. She said she'd come back and left. That was that. We do not decline housekeeping. I think a large majority of people (not all but a significant portion) of those who do encounter issues are those that decline housekeeping. They have to find a time that they can complete the check. Schedules are impossible to determine so all they can do it go when it suits them. And as a PP said, it's not easy on the staff either, they aren't really doing this by their choice.
Sorry, late to the game here but if you are declining housekeeping, what are they checking the room for?

I think it is likely to end up that guests who have been staying onsite during their many past trips will be more likely to stay offsite in the future, due to this and other recent changes that are driving away longtime customers.

Yep, it's a dilemma. We love the bubble, but this is getting ridiculous. It's sad when you can't rest in your room, for Whatever reason. Some people who go on vacation to WDW like to spend resort time, and it should be their choice.
My problem with the whole thing is: Why don't they do the security check like other reputable hotels? If they notice a DND sign on the door for 24 or 48 hours, they will do a phone call first to check on you, then they might come and knock to see how you are. That seems reasonable to me!
Why the need to treat everyone on their expensive vacation as if they are criminals? I know it's not their intent,but it feels that way to me.
It seems to me that just changing their way of doing this to be in line with other hotels/resorts, would cause a big shift in the irritated upset feelings most people have over this policy. Just a simple change, that's all. I honestly don't know if I want to stay onsite next time, or even to return. Maybe it's time to go somewhere else for a while?

So, is Disney ignoring the room occupied signs?

Room Occupied no longer equals Do Not Disturb. By putting out the "Room Occupied" sign, you're simply alerting the staff that you're in the room. Which is why they'll knock first.

1) It puts a clock on terrorists. They won’t have multiple days to set up and bring in what they need to accomplish their terror. It won’t prevent a terrorist event but has the potential of limiting the scope of one.
2) It will also limit the ability of guests to totally trash rooms over multiple days. Guests can do a day or two worth of damage before the hotel will catch it vs a week of damage.

I might also add that its beneficial in case a guest or guests have a medical emergency, like that horrible tragedy in Mexico with the family from Iowa. That occurrence is an anomaly, of course, but there's a number of things that could happen to anyone and a room check may help. Not saying I agree with how it's being conducted, however.

We just got back from ASMo. We only were interrupted once and that was on our check-out morning. She said she wasn't there to check the room, but to make sure we were checking out (it was 9:00am). Whatever. Until it has some adverse effect on me, I'll just continue to dislike the concept, but go along with it. I've got nothing to hide, so ....

46 stays and this is likely to be our last on site. With the parking fee, the room invasions, the benefits are nil!

Just got back from SS. We didn’t encounter anyone from housekeeping during our stay, though they clearly came as our room was well taken care of.

I am getting concerned with all the instances I am reading about housekeeping knocking early on departure day. Has this really become a "thing"? In all our trips (over 20 and sometimes at more than one resort per trip) we have never had anyone knock early on departure day.

I'll be pretty pissed if we are woken before 7:30-8:00 by knocking on our departure day. We very well may be up already, but also may not be. We have a 12 hour drive home, and usually like to close MK on our last night. I expect to be able to get enough rest to be able to comfortably make the 12 hour drive home.

I am getting concerned with all the instances I am reading about housekeeping knocking early on departure day. Has this really become a "thing"? In all our trips (over 20 and sometimes at more than one resort per trip) we have never had anyone knock early on departure day.

I'll be pretty pissed if we are woken before 7:30-8:00 by knocking on our departure day. We very well may be up already, but also may not be. We have a 12 hour drive home, and usually like to close MK on our last night. I expect to be able to get enough rest to be able to comfortably make the 12 hour drive home.
Our knock earlier this month was approx 9:00 am
That was the time that housekeeping was on the floor working on the rooms so it's not like they made a special trip just to come by our room or anything. Matter of fact, I needed more coffee that morning so I stepped out to the hall shortly after her knock and found several carts on the floor where they were working on the rooms in the area. So to me, it was just that our room was in the area where they happen to have been working and they stopped by our room when it fell in their cleaning cycle. If that makes sense

OK, I will come back here with new information and eat my words from a prior post, thinking that the room check thing is pointless. I was discussing this with DH and he told me that the shooter in Las Vegas (I think that's the shooting) had a hotel room for several days before the shooting. He brought in something like 10 or 12 suitcases of weapons. He was careful- brought them in a few at a time, over several days, at different times. He apparently looked like a guy wit a luggage cart with maybe 3 suitcases on it, raising no suspicion whatsoever. In his room, the number of suitcases was obvious; where in a Disney room would you be able to hide a dozen suitcases?

SO, I stand corrected: Maybe just looking briefly in the room could make a difference.

This all seems so pointless and intrusive. Seems like something they are doing for their insurance coverage rather than for actual "safety".

They are clearly playing "Cover Our Butt."
Genuinely curious, do neither of you take any action to protect yourselves, your proper property, your insurance liability?
Thank you, I have always used that anyway, but others have posted on various threads that there is a way to unlock that from outside.
Relatively certain that CMs don't carry the tool, and don't open the security latch except in an emergency. As relatively small a sample as the DIS is, nobody has reported this experience yet.
So, is Disney ignoring the room occupied signs?
[People] keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what [some people] think it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter