Just back - room check info

Status
Not open for further replies.

slp87

DIS Veteran
We stayed at PVB 3/9 - 3/12 and BWV 3/12 - 3/17. Our first day at PVB we had been to Epcot and then to the pool. It was probably around 3 when we got back, started to take shower and lay down to rest when they started knocking. We had the locks on and asked them to come back. They never returned that day. Every other day at both resorts, the room check was complete by the time we returned from the parks about 2:00. We like to take a nap each day so I was really worried this would be an interruption, but it was no problem at all!

About 15 minutes ago (7:30 am), while sleeping, someone knocks on the door. By the time I get untangled and to the door, she was trying to open it. The cross bar was on so it didn’t open, except for a tiny bit where she could see in. I opened the door a tad, in my pjs and said, what? She had a iPad in her hand and said, sorry, I thought you were out. I said what is it you want? (We did not take housekeeping, took the $10 a day instead). She just mumbled something and left. I called the front desk and asked who that was. She said she would let housekeeping know as no one should have been knocking.
Well I’m up now although this was our day to sleep in. It’s also our last stay at Disney. For our first night we stayed at Holiday Inn (former Nicholodeon) using a mousesavers discount, had an included breakfast at Applebee’s on site, a huge room, that didn’t smell strange, parking close to our room and shuttles included. I wish I was there now.

About 15 minutes ago (7:30 am), while sleeping, someone knocks on the door. By the time I get untangled and to the door, she was trying to open it. The cross bar was on so it didn’t open, except for a tiny bit where she could see in. I opened the door a tad, in my pjs and said, what? She had a iPad in her hand and said, sorry, I thought you were out. I said what is it you want? (We did not take housekeeping, took the $10 a day instead). She just mumbled something and left. I called the front desk and asked who that was. She said she would let housekeeping know as no one should have been knocking.
Well I’m up now although this was our day to sleep in. It’s also our last stay at Disney. For our first night we stayed at Holiday Inn (former Nicholodeon) using a mousesavers discount, had an included breakfast at Applebee’s on site, a huge room, that didn’t smell strange, parking close to our room and shuttles included. I wish I was there now.
Knocking on doors at 7:30 AM is a new low!

Did you use Holiday Inn shuttles or do you have your own car?

We didn’t need to use them but would again if we stayed there.
I just got a call from someone (dang, my husband was sleeping!) who said it never should have happened and that person was checking on rooms of people who left during the night. He asked if we were going to a park and if so he would add a fast pass to our bracelets at Hollywoid studios. He talked really fast but I think he said it wasn’t good at a new ride. We don’t do the rides so it doesn’t matter but it was a nice offer.

It won’t work for Toy Story (at least it wouldn’t when we got the anytime FPs last month). You can use them for shows though, if you don’t do rides (like Frozen, Disney Junior etc).

Also it does stink this happened- we were there last month at Poly and there was one afternoon when I was in the room with my 1 year old trying to get him to take a nap- DH and DD were at the pool. Housekeeping knocked and I asked if I could have towels, but I could tell the guy needed to see the room so I let him in. It really seemed to me like he felt bad bc he was very quick and said thank you. While I’m not saying people aren’t having bad experiences with this, I’m sure it’s not easy on the housekeeping staff either (feeling like they now have the added responsibility of “checking” rooms and having to get in even if people don’t want them at any given time).

I think I might bring my own small "Resting, do not disturb" sign that I can place on our door each afternoon when we return for some rest. Think they would allow this? I would hate to be woken up mid afternoon. I doubt that would happen though. (we would probably be back at the resort between 1pm and 4pm)

Dan

I think I might bring my own small "Resting, do not disturb" sign that I can place on our door each afternoon when we return for some rest. Think they would allow this? I would hate to be woken up mid afternoon. I doubt that would happen though. (we would probably be back at the resort between 1pm and 4pm)

Dan

They'll probably allow it, but that doesn't mean they won't do the room check anyway.

Dan
It probably won’t matter if you put that on the door or not. Anyone could do this and then what does that mean for Disney? That the policy can’t be enforced? There were other threads where people went to the front desk to see if housekeeping could come to their room either before or after a certain timeframe (when they’d be napping). I’m not sure that this necessarily mattered either. There was one lady who was asleep in her GF room and said some guy came pounding on her door and forced himself in.
While I’m sure everyone has different perceptions of these encounters, in the end we have to realize that this is now Disney policy and we have the ability to stay offsite if we feel it’s too intrusive. At first I was under the impression this was all a result of what happened in LV, but apparently it’s an issue regarding human trafficking. Obviously pretty serious if this is what’s starting to happen in the hotel industry. Disney is not the only one.

Thanks, I think I'll ask for them to check late morning (10am-12pm) or in the evening (5pm - 9pm). We aren't typically in our rooms then.

Dan

Dan
You can bring it and put it on the door but that won't change their policy. If it's their time to check the room, it's their time to check the room. Your sign is not going to stop or change that.

We just checked out a week ago and in our 4 days (5 nights) we only had 1 encounter with housekeeping, check out day. We were up and getting ready and housekeeping knocked on the door. I told her just that, that we were still packing and getting ready and would be out of the room in about an hour or so. She said she'd come back and left. That was that. We do not decline housekeeping. I think a large majority of people (not all but a significant portion) of those who do encounter issues are those that decline housekeeping. They have to find a time that they can complete the check. Schedules are impossible to determine so all they can do it go when it suits them. And as a PP said, it's not easy on the staff either, they aren't really doing this by their choice.

It probably won’t matter if you put that on the door or not. Anyone could do this and then what does that mean for Disney? That the policy can’t be enforced? There were other threads where people went to the front desk to see if housekeeping could come to their room either before or after a certain timeframe (when they’d be napping). I’m not sure that this necessarily mattered either. There was one lady who was asleep in her GF room and said some guy came pounding on her door and forced himself in.
While I’m sure everyone has different perceptions of these encounters, in the end we have to realize that this is now Disney policy and we have the ability to stay offsite if we feel it’s too intrusive. At first I was under the impression this was all a result of what happened in LV, but apparently it’s an issue regarding human trafficking. Obviously pretty serious if this is what’s starting to happen in the hotel industry. Disney is not the only one.
Nope, they seem to be one of the first though. And not sure they've gone about it the best way by any means. But I do believe it will become the norm throughout the industry.

Just out of curiosity, which resort are you at?

I’ve read many comments over the years about Polynesian rooms having “strange” smells, but also that the rooms are very large so IDK where you could be.

First morning at poly, tap tap tap like with a pen or something on the door. It was just 8am. I got up from bed because I know if I don’t answer they’re coming in. The room occupied has no meaning. Guy asked if I want housekeeping????? I said we’ll be out after 11 to come back. Ok, we start our day earlier. Sooooo wouldn’t you know when we get back to room at 11PM nothing had been done dirty towels on bathroom floor beds unmade and bags from Amazon now order there... I immediately went down to concierge to say room wasn’t made up. He asked if I wanted it done then. I said I wouldn’t have been as upset but housekeeping woke me up to do room and never did it! He said he’ll put a request to service room after noon each day. Never had another tap until checkout morning!!!!

Thanks, I think I'll ask for them to check late morning (10am-12pm) or in the evening (5pm - 9pm). We aren't typically in our rooms then.

Dan
Can you ask for the checks to be done at specific hours or periods of time during the day, or are they more random? We like to sleep in sometimes (late night fireworks or Disney Springs) so would prefer afternoon checks vs morning checks.

If you get housekeeping, do they still do random security checks? Only reason Im asking is I dont want more people in my room when Im not there. We are pretty trusting and leave out cameras, IPADS, IPods, DSs etc... I figure if anything is taken, I know who did it! But with random people coming, I would have to lock up all my stuff. Seems like unnecessary work getting the kids to give me all their things daily and take it all out again, then lock it up again for dinner, then take it all out again etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter