• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back - room check info

Status
Not open for further replies.
[People] keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what [some people] think it means.
Umm... I wasn’t phrasing anything, I literally thought that’s what the sign said. Does it say something else? I didn’t mean to cause confusion.

Umm... I wasn’t phrasing anything, I literally thought that’s what the sign said. Does it say something else? I didn’t mean to cause confusion.
The sign simply is this
00r.jpg

Just lets the housekeepers know someone is in the room, in theory. Nothing more. Doesn't mean, don't come in. Even says this at the bottom
drsy0q2u8aaqxn8.jpg

I'll be pretty pissed if we are woken before 7:30-8:00 by knocking on our departure day. We very well may be up already, but also may not be.
Just like requesting late checkout, visitors could call (using the phone button formerly known as Housekeeping) and request an after-checkout cleaning.

I'm sure they start on the changeover rooms early because (a) the rooms need a thorough cleaning, and (b) to have the rooms ready by exactly 3 PM on the dot.

Genuinely curious, do neither of you take any action to protect yourselves, your proper property, your insurance liability?

Relatively certain that CMs don't carry the tool, and don't open the security latch except in an emergency. As relatively small a sample as the DIS is, nobody has reported this experience yet.

You don't need any tools, just paper and 30 seconds or less.https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...eak-into-a-hotel-room-using-just-a-paper-menu

While this author clearly hates Disney in general, the points about invasion of privacy and no real security benefit are spot on.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/12/disney-world-security-policy-invades-guests-privacy/

The key paragraph, near the end, sums it up perfectly.

"the only way that Disney could even hope to guarantee complete safety would be to arm its cast members with military-grade artillery, allowing them to enter into any room at any moment without knocking, and demanding that they search through everyone’s stuff."

And if Disney ISN'T opening security latches, it shows again that it's not about safety at all.

And if Disney ISN'T opening security latches, it shows again that it's not about safety at all.
Just because they aren't opening every latch on a door that isn't opened after 1 knock does not mean it is not about safety in any way. That's a rather tenuous leap to make. They do use the tool to open the latch when needed (they've used it for us before). They simply do not use it every single time someone doesn't open the door within 1 minute of knocking.

Just because they aren't opening every latch on a door that isn't opened after 1 knock does not mean it is not about safety in any way. That's a rather tenuous leap to make. They do use the tool to open the latch when needed (they've used it for us before). They simply do not use it every single time someone doesn't open the door within 1 minute of knocking.

Of course that's what it means. You can even tell them to come back later and they will. It's has zero to do with safety, and 100% to do with liability. If they do nothing, Disney is worried they'll get sued.

Of course that's what it means. You can even tell them to come back later and they will. It's has zero to do with safety, and 100% to do with liability. If they do nothing, Disney is worried they'll get sued.
Actually, in some cases they have refused to come back later, based on reports.

Actually, in some cases they have refused to come back later, based on reports.

WDW is far too open a place to have any real security, short of armed guards inspecting every person and any room at any time. The current policy has zero effect on lowering security risks. Zero. All it is doing is giving guests a false sense of security at the expense of their privacy and enjoyment of their vacation.

I've been to countless seminars about actual safety as part of my job, both physical and online security, and this is textbook security theatre.

I actually agree that it's not doing anything to making the rooms or resorts safer. I don't feel they are unsafe so there is no need to make them safe. Same to be said for the parks.

I just don't have the quite the dislike towards the company that others seem to have. Really doesn't matter to me at all one way or the other.

Just got back from SS. We didn’t encounter anyone from housekeeping during our stay, though they clearly came as our room was well taken care of.
We must have been unlucky.

During our stay at SS in January, we were able to use housekeeping as our wake up call. Or at least our "time to speed it up to head out to the parks" call.

Bang, bang, bang, no gentle tap, tap, tap. Generally before 9am.

It's not that i hate Disney in the least. I hate that these security theatre measures ruin vacations, and that people are actually accepting of these draconian measures that serve no purpose. We've cancelled our next trip and going on a Royal Caribbean cruise instead.

Another crazy example. There's absolutely zero reason why I can't go into a pool at 10PM, just because Disney chooses not to have a life guard present. They never used to close pools.

Last edited:
We were at All Star Sports for Spring Break - March 10-19th. At check in they asked if we wanted to forgo housekeeping and we of course did. I do not like people coming in our room. I asked the gentleman to make a note that they come in before 1:00 or after 5:00 as we would likely be back at that time with a toddler to take a nap. He said 'no problem'. Knowing this likely would not work, I also called housekeeping with the same request. Three times that toddler was woke up by their knocking on the door. I understand they have the 'right to enter', but I also have the right as a PAYING guest to sleep in a bed that I am paying for at whatever time I want to sleep and they do not have the right to wake me up. I gave them a time-frame that we would be napping. It is ridiculous that their schedule or lack thereof should ruin three of our park evenings due to my granddaughter not getting her nap.

I love Disney and go every chance I get, but this is a bit ridiculous. If I tell them that a toddler is napping, they should be able to accommodate that for the price I pay for the room. I already have a two-week trip booked in July at WL and POFQ. I will see what happens there, but if we have the same issue we will need to start staying off site. We should have privacy to shower, change, sleep, or whatever in a room we pay for. A landlord cannot just walk into a rental house whenever they want. We have rights even at hotels. I sent a complaint (first time ever complaining) to the top guys about this and the ridiculous pay to park your car fee. I hope they can figure out a way to be less annoying about this.

So sorry @djc9699 for you and your grandbaby! And you even tried twice- front desk and housekeeping to avert this and still they do this! Totally unacceptable! Good that you wrote a letter! You may get nothing back other than a lame apology but they have to track these complaints and that's important!

I keep seeing people posting that they are ok with the checks as long as it is between X and Y hours. That is a logistical nightmare. Housekeeping or whoever is doing the checks would have to have a list of the acceptable times to perform checks and walk back and forth between buildings and floors. While I am not a fan of the idea of them waking me up from a nap, I understand why they can’t possibly accommodate everyone who has a specific time frame they do or don’t want the checks to occur in.

It's not that i hate Disney in the least. I hate that these security theatre measures ruin vacations, and that people are actually accepting of these draconian measures that serve no purpose.
Draconian? Reserving the right to, and actually, enter customer rooms is excessively harsh? Are you sure that's the description to use? Not annoying, exasperating, inconvenient...?
Another crazy example. There's absolutely zero reason why I can't go into a pool at 10PM, just because Disney chooses not to have a life guard present. They never used to close pools.
People never used to drown in unstaffed pools. One did, now Disney closed the polls instead of enhancing the liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter