is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

Can someone shed some light on why people would steal from someone when they can pay several thousand for the cruise....who steals personal items from their fellow passengers after spending all that money on a cruise...
You're assuming that the theives are the people who paid for the cruise, which imo is the least likely scenario. Most of the people doing this are likely poorly-raised tweens & younger teens who don't pay a dime for their trips and have never worked a day in their lives.

I will add that we have done two FEs and have never been stolen from, so don't worry too much. Anything can happen, but it isn't a constant problem by any means.

Most of us have a FE that hangs on the "Fish" or "Seahorse" by a ribbon. Does anyone have a picture example of a FE tied with a zip tie? This thread has me thinking now.

I don't have a picture, but what I do is thread a zip tie through the FE's ribbon (or cord or whatever it hangs by) and then over and around the "Fish" or "Seahorse" so that the FE is securely fastened.

I've only done fish extender once, without issue, but I recall a trip where someone put fruit into a fish extender on my deck and squashed it. On another there was a group of teens that made a video of themselves stealing magnets and posted it on YouTube. :rolleyes::rolleyes:Yes, and magnets sometimes go missing or migrate to other doors.

I don't know that people who steal personalized magnets are doing it just because they want the magnet. They are doing it because they want to take something. They don't care if they cause disappointment or worse to the magnet owner, that's what they are trying to do.

My usual rule for myself is not to put anything on the outside of the door that I would really care about losing.

Disney is in the business of illusion and it looks like they have succeeded in the illusion that Disney people are somehow "better" people. They're not. A cruise ship is like a small city - all kinds of people are onboard. And what they paid is irrelevant.

Last edited:

I've only done fish extender once, without issue, but I recall a trip where someone put fruit into a fish extender on my deck and squashed it. On another there was a group of teens that made a video of themselves stealing magnets and posted it on YouTube. :rolleyes::rolleyes:Yes, and magnets sometimes go missing or migrate to other doors.

I don't know that people who steal personalized magnets are doing it just because they want the magnet. They are doing it because they want to take something. They don't care if they cause disappointment or worse to the magnet owner, that's what they are trying to do.

My usual rule for myself is not to put anything on the outside of the door that I would really care about losing.

Disney is in the business of illusion and it looks like they have succeeded in the illusion that Disney people are somehow "better" people. They're not. A cruise ship is like a small city - all kinds of people are onboard. And what they paid is irrelevant.

Ah, yeah -- you don't want to see the video of what some teens did with those magnets before putting them back on the doors :crazy2:

if someone feels they need that magnet more than I do, I still have the image on my computer to make more.

This is closest to how I feel. Most of the time, nothing will get taken, and if something does, so be it. Why get down about it? We had fun little things and pictures and sketches on our doors, and we had a lot of fun with it, and if someone took something, its no big loss. (No, I won't be sticking dollar bills on the door, sorry.)

We tie ours up with twine in such a way that you need scissors to release it. I have, however, had ours used as a trash bin more than once!
We found some garbage in ours the only time we did an FE and where our room was located you had to walk around a corner to see the next stretch of rooms and found some teens with their hands in our FE pouches. They didn't know it was our room but did turn and scurry off when they saw some people coming.

I am going to make a magnet with a Sailor Mickey that says the following. I know for a fact that my idea will be LONG gone before I ever get a chance to do it. So, whoever "steals" my idea, please give me credit for it :jester:

"I am Flat Mickey"
"I originated from Room XXXX on the Disney ***"
"Please take me from where I am and take pictures"
"Upload pictures of where I have traveled and post them to insert DISBoard thread"

Whoever has it last can hand it to someone embarking as they disembark.

Imagine all of the crazy places it could travel on a ship, future sailings, etc. Flat Mickey would be the best traveler around.
I love this! My kids did Flat Stanley at school years ago and we mailed one to their Grandfather and he brought it all over Florida. Did anyone ever end up doing this? I may make a Mickey to bring with us in a few weeks. This is so cool!

This was ours on the DreamPC120030.JPG I don't remember ever having anything stolen from our FE. We've enjoyed every one we have done.

Interesting that someone connected this thread to their blog. I didn't look at their videos. The one that was shown here was enough for me. I don't understand that kind of behavior.

I don't either! They looked like a bunch of wanna be models, and then show adolescent behavior. Their parents must be so proud :upsidedow

People are telling them off on their blog! Hope they see it, it's been a while since they posted,I believe

I tried to watch for the moment of poor behavior but couldn’t handle their mannerisms. If someone was able to give me where I’m time in that video it was... I’d like to restore items to the person whom they disrespected but I’m sure that’s a needle in a haystack.

I’m going to bite my tongue now.

Hi, I'm 1/4 of the Mills Girls. This discussion board was just recently brought to our attention and we are very confused. We didn't mean to offend ANYONE. No magnets were damaged. No magnets were stolen. Our parents raised us right and we know how to be respectful to other people. I'm sure if we would have gone to apologize to the cabin with the magnet they would have been very confused as no harm or damaged was done. To address another comment, we don't just roam the halls all the time. Sometimes you have to walk in a hallway in order to leave your room and make it to another destination........but anyways. ALSO. another comment, we do work. we all have full time jobs and support ourselves. our dad pays for one thing a year which is our Cruise. I would hope that everyone knows that hiding behind a computer screen and saying mean things about people you do not know is not kind and it can really effect the people you're talking about. Have a great day and if you don't like our channel, that's totally fine! But you don't have to rude about it, just don't go to it.

I don't either! They looked like a bunch of wanna be models, and then show adolescent behavior. Their parents must be so proud :upsidedow
Our parents are actually really proud of us. We all work full time jobs and support ourselves so we don't really have time to model(not that any of us would really want to if we could..ANYWAYS). I'm sorry you feel the need to be so rude to people you never met. we knocked a few magnets on the ground and they were picked up and placed in the exact spot we found them. no harm was cause and no damaged was done. I completely understand that our channel is not for everyone and if it was I would be very confused. The internet can be a very rude place and I will people on here discussing Disney would help make it a bit better. Have a great day and be kind.

Last edited:
WOW again. Call me naïve, but I had no idea this kind of thing regularly happened. And watching that video actually made me sick to my stomach. Seriously these people have nothing better to do on an expensive cruise with tons of offerings than to walk around hallways knocking down things and giggling. So strange.

Hello! I'm sorry our video made you sick. I hope you realize and watch that every single magnet was put back exactly where it was found. We did not mean to offend anyone. We aren't bad people by any means. And when it comes to "roaming" the halls, unfortunately we do have to use the hallways to make it from our room to the elevators. Have a great day and try to be a little kinder.

I will just point out plenty of people “use the hallways to get to their cabin” - but they are walking with a purpose and not rearranging letters, pulling magnets off (whether they were damaged or not) and treating them like a playground.

Kelley, sorry if you felt attacked. I remember what it was like being a bored teenager and I'm glad my teenage days were before people made videos of their shenanigans. Knocking down other people's decorations is a messed up thing to do. Just leave them be. I'm sure you and your siblings have matured since then. Don't let internet strangers get you down but please be good role models for other people out there! Let's all help to make DCL magical for each other.

We're planning our first Disney cruise and I'm excited to pick out door decorations with our small children. They'd be pretty upset if they saw people knocking them down. As for Fish Extenders I might just see if Tinkerbell can leave gifts for my kiddos inside our cabin when they drift off to sleep, don't want to risk someone stealing the magic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter