is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

And when you've done that? Our room host looked at us strangely. I set it on the wall - aside from our door, thinking the owners might claim it at some point, but they never did.
I'd turn it in to Guest Services.

That's also a place I would check if something of mine disappeared. The thief might be a kid playing around & just leave the item somewhere. DCL's lost & found is effective, so you might actually get the item back after your cruise.

Last edited:
I saw a YouTube video of these punk older teenage/young adult chicks who video taped themselves going down halls and purposefully moving magnets from some doors and putting them on others.

They have a ton of DCL videos and are quite disrespectful and entitled. It's a shame.

On our Christmas cruise in 2016, we had a wreath displayed on our door. The wreath was taken. Our room steward saw it on another door and returned it to us. We put it inside the room for the rest of the cruise. I was surprised that someone was so brazen as to not only take it, but then display it on their door!

Now, we put our nicknames and stateroom number in big, bold permanent marker on anything we display on the doors and we have never had a problem since then with anything missing. No one wants a wreath
I wanted to put a thought out there... Sometimes kids might take things and move them and think it’s “funny” because they “moved it”. Like finding your magnets all upside down.

I wanted to put a thought out there... Sometimes kids might take things and move them and think it’s “funny” because they “moved it”. Like finding your magnets all upside down.
True. I figured whomever owned it would at least look for it. It was not in the style of anything on our door and it was a bought magnet, so you'd think someone would want it.

True. I figured whomever owned it would at least look for it. It was not in the style of anything on our door and it was a bought magnet, so you'd think someone would want it.
Though if it were me, and I saw what I believed to be my property...I’d leave it there and figure there was a 1% chance that they bought the same magnet and put it out on the day mine was taken. It could happen.

Curious what your reasons are for putting magnets on your door in the first place!
Sooo many reasons!
•Makes your cabin feel more like a home.
•Makes you feel like you have a little bit of yourself that you can share with others.
•Makes it easier to find your cabin.
•Cheers up a boring hallway.
•Can be changed daily to reflect your day.
•Helps friends from past cruises find your together again.
•It’s fun!

Curious what your reasons are for putting magnets on your door in the first place!

We rent a house in the Outer Banks every year. It's our home away from home - our happy place, if you will. One year we were going on a Disney cruise later in the summer as well, and thought it would be fun to buy some OBX themed magnets and decorate our cabin door. Until then we'd never bothered with the magnets ourselves, though we had enjoyed seeing what others had done.

At first it was really fun, and we got a lot of positive comments from other OBX junkies. Then, yes, several were stolen. My son walked hall after hall looking for them, and they were not to be found - so it wasn't kids just relocating them to different doors.

We never brought magnets again. Who needs to deal with that kind of stuff on vacation? I can't speak first hand to fish extender theft as we've never participated in them. But if someone is going to steal a magnet, I can certainly see them stealing gifts from a fish extender.

I guess the moral is to never put anything outside your room that you'd miss if it was stolen. That said, I had printed off extras of a few things in case they went missing and nothing did... just ended up with one from someone else.

This thread seriously depresses me.
It is disappointing, but not surprising. It's a public place with an illusion of happy and safe. What's really sad is when people are in an FE, something goes missing, maybe repeatedly and the family thinks their FE group cheaped out on them. How do you politely ask, 'hey guys, did you all remember to do your deliveries, because we only got half of what we expected'.

Others have said it, but the two big reasons for me were:
1. I wanted to personalize the space -- it feels homier coming back to a room that you've redecorated just a little bit.
2. It really does make your stateroom easier to find. I'm a very visual person, but I don't have the best sense of direction in the world. I could go by door numbers every time, but remembering that I'm looking for the door on the left covered in flags is more pleasant.

I do think I'm going to continue putting up door decorations, though in future I may want to put tags or something on the backs of my pennant banners. It'd be a real bummer if any got stolen, but the way I make them I end up with six matching banners and only four fit on the door, so even if they get stolen I'll still have the two I hang inside the room.

I guess the moral is to never put anything outside your room that you'd miss if it was stolen. That said, I had printed off extras of a few things in case they went missing and nothing did... just ended up with one from someone else.

It is disappointing, but not surprising. It's a public place with an illusion of happy and safe. What's really sad is when people are in an FE, something goes missing, maybe repeatedly and the family thinks their FE group cheaped out on them. How do you politely ask, 'hey guys, did you all remember to do your deliveries, because we only got half of what we expected'.
Well, Fish Extender exchanges used to be anonymous. That way you don't know who or how many gifts to expect. Personally, when we participate in FE exchanges, I don't expect anything and am happy with whatever shows up.

Well, Fish Extender exchanges used to be anonymous. That way you don't know who or how many gifts to expect. Personally, when we participate in FE exchanges, I don't expect anything and am happy with whatever shows up.

This is how we look at it as well ... if there is something there, great. If not ... no worries!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!