is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

Someone told me today that they knew someone who had their fish extender hanger stolen on a cruise... that's awful! Does anyone have any experience of this, or gifts being stolen??
We had some stolen off our door on the Magic on our first cruise...Can someone shed some light on why people would steal from someone when they can pay several thousand for the cruise....who steals personal items from their fellow passengers after spending all that money on a cruise...

We had some stolen off our door on the Magic on our first cruise...Can someone shed some light on why people would steal from someone when they can pay several thousand for the cruise....who steals personal items from their fellow passengers after spending all that money on a cruise...
For the same reason the steal from anyone, anywhere. Because they see something they like.

You mean those are like the carts at Costco to sample. Or free handouts? OOPS I owe a lot of people a apology.
Im kidding of course.

I don't know why, but this whole thread kind of saddens me.

Yes, it's a bit depressing, but it doesn't stop me from doing magnets. There are bad people everywhere, even on Disney cruises.

I agree -- we always make two sets of magnets if they mean that much -- one to keep home and one to take. The important and special ones, just put them on the back of your door for your family to enjoy ;)

I was thinking about this the other day. Many FE do not have names but are themed. So for a walker by no "owner" So maybe people who know nothing about FE take them thinking they are gifts for walkerbys??? I have seen some FE pictures where each slot gets for example a water bottle. So maybe somebody walking by thinks hey check out all these bottles and think its some kind of take as you go trick or treat thing... Especially maybe FE overflowing with edible gits.. People think its like the candy bowl in many offices.
but I am being too nice here...

now having the actual FE holder thing taken.. that is sooo low.... if that happened to us I would hang a sign and say security is viewing all hidden video taken from this hallway. hoping it freaks out the thief.

now having the actual FE holder thing taken.. that is sooo low.... if that happened to us I would hang a sign and say security is viewing all hidden video taken from this hallway. hoping it freaks out the thief.

We tie ours up with twine in such a way that you need scissors to release it. I have, however, had ours used as a trash bin more than once!

Wife and I was walking back to our room on the Fantasy last November and came across two young boys, guessing 12-14 in terms of age and caught them digging in our neighbors fish extender. We knew they didn't belong to that room because this was like night 6 and we had already met the people who stayed in the room and they didn't have any kids. At first, I thought, maybe they were dropping something off in the extender but then I saw them reach in, grab the gift out and was going to stick it in his pocket. I just yelled, "Hey!" They put it back and took off running away from us.

I didn't report it and I second guess myself for not doing so.

Wife and I was walking back to our room on the Fantasy last November and came across two young boys, guessing 12-14 in terms of age and caught them digging in our neighbors fish extender. We knew they didn't belong to that room because this was like night 6 and we had already met the people who stayed in the room and they didn't have any kids. At first, I thought, maybe they were dropping something off in the extender but then I saw them reach in, grab the gift out and was going to stick it in his pocket. I just yelled, "Hey!" They put it back and took off running away from us.

I didn't report it and I second guess myself for not doing so.

I think by you confronting the boys and "They put it back", had an affect on their behavior and probably future behavior. If they are like most kids, the fact they were caught is punishment and will deter them from repeating the act. Glad you recognized them as not belonging to the room and said something to them.

I just purchased some really fun magnets of our favorite Disney snacks (with a sign that reads #snack goals). Personalized the Mickey Ice Cream bars but now thinking of just putting out the personalized bars and keeping the fun snacks back on the inside.

This bums me out. but since our door opens right to the doorway mid-ship I have a feeling we will have a lot of possible sticky fingers (2540 on the Fantasy)

I just purchased some really fun magnets of our favorite Disney snacks (with a sign that reads #snack goals). Personalized the Mickey Ice Cream bars but now thinking of just putting out the personalized bars and keeping the fun snacks back on the inside.

This bums me out. but since our door opens right to the doorway mid-ship I have a feeling we will have a lot of possible sticky fingers (2540 on the Fantasy)
You know, in spite of how it seems here, the stolen magnets & Fish Extenders isn't all that big a problem. Compare the numbers of people onboard a Disney ship that use magnets and/or FEs with the numbers of people reporting things stolen. Really a BIG difference.

One reason I make my magnets is, if someone feels they need that magnet more than I do, I still have the image on my computer to make more.

But, as I've said, we've only had 2 magnets stolen in 10 years of cruising (12 cruises).

Some people put magnets out with a note 'feel free to help yourself' and I think some people are under the impression it is that way with all the doors.

My thoughts exactly. :sad2:

It shouldn't -- just because it's a Disney property doesn't mean there aren't selfish and ill-mannered passengers who will act out. On one of our cruises a women with a baby stroller left it outside a venue with her camera in it. When she came out, the camera was gone. She was hysterical and begging the person to just return the camera card. We felt bad, but even on a ship there are sticky fingers -- it's humanity (unfortunately).

BTW, we have seen many decorated doors on other cruise ships, too, like Carnival and NCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!