Is everything normal in your neck of the woods?

Everything still business as usual in Nola except we are up to 3 cases now & mayor has cancelled weekend Irish/Italian festivities/parades. Most ppl are still more concerned about those things being cancelled than the virus.

I live in North East Ohio, about 1 hour south of Cleveland. My wife travels twice a week into Cleveland to her offices. The county which Cleveland is located now has the first 3 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Ohio. The Governor has now declared a state of emergency. Ohio State has cancelled classes and will be going remote. Kent State University has cancelled classes and is going remote. My wife is now being told to work remote from home and if she travels outside of North East Ohio she has to inform her company. Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden both cancelled their rallies in Cleveland this evening. The MAC conference tournament has announced they will hold the tournament as planned but without any fans. Walmart's and Targets are selling out of sanitizer, hand soap, bottled water, and Lysol. Yep, nothing abnormal here in North East Ohio. :crazy2:

We are in the same state as you...can’t believe they won’t even release the county. It’s not like they are posting names and addresses but a county would be nice to know (though our region doesn’t have a confirmed case I am positive it’s already here)

Yes! I think we need to know.

We have 2 major hospitals in our community. I just found out from a reliable source (someone who works at one of the hospitals) that a local nurse from the other hospital has been fired for claiming on Facebook that there are patients at both hospitals who are suspected to have COVID-19 but the higher ups don’t want them to be officially tested because, if the tests are positive, they’ll have to inform the Health Dept & CDC & it’ll cause a widespread panic & school closures in our community.

When a person I know who works at one of those hospitals found out, she went to her supervisor who said basically, “I can neither confirm nor deny,”. But the supervisor did confirm that there have been patients at both hospitals who have been & are being tested.

Close to Nashville here. College students are going to online instruction in several cases, some schools and buildings have closed for cleaning. Our small hometown just closed schools today for the rest of this week and they will return after spring break.
Stores are out of hand sanitizer and some are low on TP.
My daughter had clinicals at the ER yesterday and it was full of people thinking they have the virus. The ER here doesn’t have test kits so they tested for normal flu and sent them home mostly. I think we are up to 7 or so confirmed cases statewide. I haven’t kept up today because now my daughter is sick with some type of flu.🤪

Close to Nashville here. College students are going to online instruction in several cases, some schools and buildings have closed for cleaning. Our small hometown just closed schools today for the rest of this week and they will return after spring break.
Stores are out of hand sanitizer and some are low on TP.
My daughter had clinicals at the ER yesterday and it was full of people thinking they have the virus. The ER here doesn’t have test kits so they tested for normal flu and sent them home mostly. I think we are up to 7 or so confirmed cases statewide. I haven’t kept up today because now my daughter is sick with some type of flu.🤪

How is it possible that the hopsital doesn't have any test kits? I thought they were supposed to ship them out so that by Monday everyone could be tested.

Yes! I think we need to know.

We have 2 major hospitals in our community. I just found out from a reliable source (someone who works at one of the hospitals) that a local nurse from the other hospital has been fired for claiming on Facebook that there are patients at both hospitals who are suspected to have COVID-19 but the higher ups don’t want them to be officially tested because, if the tests are positive, they’ll have to inform the Health Dept & CDC & it’ll cause a widespread panic & school closures in our community.

When a person I know who works at one of those hospitals found out, she went to her supervisor who said basically, “I can neither confirm nor deny,”. But the supervisor did confirm that there have been patients at both hospitals who have been & are being tested.
That’s crazy! They just want to close their eyes and repeat “if we don’t test it can’t be proven”. It causes more anxiety and fear for speculation and the unknown to run crazy instead of just being honest and saying “we have x cases that are suspected, x have been tested, and x results are negative/positive/pending. They are being treated with precautions to lessen chance of spread”

Flew from Maryland to Las Vegas yesterday - BWI was full of folks, although our flight was about a 1/4 empty.
Got to LAS and it was oddly quiet and there were not all lot of people at the baggage claim, our car service driver said they've noticed a big decline. Here for a conference, we will see -

Oh - and mens bathroom at B terminal (SW) at BWI had NO hand soap in any of the dispensers, although ladies rooms did.

We have 7 cases in our state, & they’re no longer releasing where the cases are.
We are in the same state as you...can’t believe they won’t even release the county. It’s not like they are posting names and addresses but a county would be nice to know (though our region doesn’t have a confirmed case I am positive it’s already here)

Are you both in Tennessee? I'm in the suburbs just outside of Memphis. According to this article, the state has decided to release the counties after all. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...e-covid-19-location-omission-sparks-questions

So far we have documented cases in:
- Davidson county- 1
- Shelby county- 1
- Sullivan county- 1
- Williamson county- 4

Here in Shelby county 70+ people are in quarantine. Including faculty/staff/students from Christian Brothers University, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, and a middle/high school in Memphis. I'm waiting to see what this week brings. I work for one of the universities listed and am waiting for the word that we will move online. I'd rather there be a pre-emtive move and not a delayed reaction. Especially since our students are more likely to interact with ill patients while doing their practicums.

I live in North East Ohio, about 1 hour south of Cleveland. My wife travels twice a week into Cleveland to her offices. The county which Cleveland is located now has the first 3 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Ohio. The Governor has now declared a state of emergency. Ohio State has cancelled classes and will be going remote. Kent State University has cancelled classes and is going remote. My wife is now being told to work remote from home and if she travels outside of North East Ohio she has to inform her company. Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden both cancelled their rallies in Cleveland this evening. The MAC conference tournament has announced they will hold the tournament as planned but without any fans. Walmart's and Targets are selling out of sanitizer, hand soap, bottled water, and Lysol. Yep, nothing abnormal here in North East Ohio. :crazy2:
Also in NE Ohio. I stopped at Target on my way home last night to get a few things and as you say, the shelves where Lysol wipes, sanitizer, etc. would have been, were completely empty. It was eerie.

The 3 confirmed cases are in Cuyahoga County...not sure exactly where, and it's a big county, but I saw an article that 2 high school students [from my Alma mater coincidentally enough] are under self-quarantine after being exposed to one of the confirmed cases, so I and everyone else could make a good guess of whereat least one confirmed case is from that.

This morning at Starbucks, I needed half & half for my coffee. There was none out on the condiment bar and I had to ask the barista for it. She wouldn't hand it to me and instead poured it into my coffee herself...that was new. They didn't do that yesterday.

Last "non-normal" thing - I work at one of the major hospital systems in NE Ohio. We just got an email this morning that they are reviewing our attendance policy (not sure exactly what this entails) and that all international and domestic business travel has been restricted "until further notice." In-person meetings are to be replaced with Skype calls and most of our on-campus events have been canceled.

Good time for us to start teaching our toddler how to properly wash his hands. We (husband, toddler and myself) are low-risk for COVID-19 since husband and myself are in our mid-30s with no comorbidities, and the toddler is a toddler (crazy how kids basically aren't affected by this??)...really for our immediate family the flu is, I think, a bigger risk/more serious. But we certainly don't want to spread it to others. My hands are cracking from all of the hand washing!

I don't know where you are but must be close to me as we are also an hour south (Stark County). Our school district just emailed parents to let them know school will remain open as of now, but to prepare for remote learning, and all trips, concerts, anything basically other than the actual school day has been canceled until further notice. My daughter was supposed to leave next Wed. for an orchestra trip to Chicago, my step-son to NYC for a theatre trip the week after that, both canceled. Kids are so disappointed, they've been planning and fundraising since last year! I am of course hoping to get my money refunded! That can go toward our own trip down the road.

I stopped at Target last night for cat food, not a single container of Lysol wipes, about half stocked with TP.

How is it possible that the hopsital doesn't have any test kits? I thought they were supposed to ship them out so that by Monday everyone could be tested.

This is from a Politico article...wasn't sure if I could post it but tried to include the relevant parts...other countries used the WHO test and started sooner than us, and so there's a demand on the supplies. So some places may have tests but can't process them.

"CDC Director Robert Redfield told POLITICO on Tuesday that he is not confident that U.S. labs have an adequate stock of the supplies used to extract genetic material from any virus in a patient’s sample — a critical step in coronavirus testing.

“The availability of those reagents is obviously being looked at,” he said, referring to the chemicals used for preparing samples. “I’m confident of the actual test that we have, but as people begin to operationalize the test, they realize there’s other things they need to do the test.”
The coronavirus task force convened by the White House is also aware of the shortages, and one official said members are working on it.
The growing scarcity of these “RNA extraction” kits is the latest trouble for U.S. labs, which have struggled to implement widespread coronavirus testing in the seven weeks since the country diagnosed its first case. Epidemiologists and public health officials say that the delayed rollout, caused in part by a botched CDC test, has masked the scope of the U.S. outbreak and hobbled efforts to limit it."

I'm in MA - our governor declared a state of emergency yesterday. Our # of cases doubled in a day, mostly related to the Biogen conference. Redfield was also quoted as saying, "“We really don’t have a lot of resilience in the capacity of our health care system" with respect to respiratory illness, due to flu cases - so just as people had mentioned, risks of overwhelming health care systems and therefore the need to slow down the spread.

I am also in northeast Ohio in the county with the cases though I do not think they are close to me. Things seemed to have changed over night. My work has now stopped all travel through March but I am sure it will be longer. Most meetings with outside people are either cancelled or going to a webinar/Skype format. As things change we may go to working from home. I have not gone to the stores yet but I have heard from other that they are crazy. The kids school is cancelling all trips through spring break and are discussing the ones that are over the summer. It also sounds like field trips are being cancelled as well. I will know for sure soon since my son has one on Friday. We also had to fill out a survey about our computer/internet at home as they are weighing the option of going to on-line learning when the time comes. The college in my town has gone to all on-line learning but the campus will stay open for any students that do not have a place to go home to right now but are encouraging students to stay home instead of coming back to campus.

No outbreak here. Less than 10 cases. But it’s still raining. We do have a large elderly population that can quickly overwhelm the hospitals here though.

No cases here, but we are upstate. Once it works it's way up from NYC, we are all screwed. Many college kids are coming home from colleges that had an outbreak, so I won't be surprised when it happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter