• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not cold, it's freezing. I felt like I was back in Maryland last night, not in Austin. I swear cold and rain follow me. It doesn't help that I'm always cold.
I can vouch that the weather freezing and, generally, just yucky here in MD today. Although Thurs is looking really yucky! Can’t wait to get to FL next Tues night!

I applied for Global Entry last Friday and was able to schedule my interview today. Third week of January is the earliest opening for the nearest center to me. It will be about an hour drive for me.

Now I don't know what to do...if the in-flight offer is the same as the new offers out today, it's very unlikely SW will release a better offer anytime soon, right? I guess I still go for the 40k personal (undecided on plus or priority) and then the biz. I'd have 1k spend on pers/3k on biz. Would technically only need 6k more for the CP. Ack, this just wrecks my plans :scared:
so would you say go for the $69 or $149 card with this offer? I value SWA very highly myself

I think I'd go for the Plus, and hope for an upgrade offer to Priority later! I upgraded my Plus to Priority and am glad I did it that way rather than applying outright.

I remember worrying about the same problem with BA when we flew in 2015. I booked Business class with Avios, paid over $450pp in taxes/fees (one-way) because it was BA, and even that did not come with seat assignments. I ended up deciding as long as one of us was with DD it was ok with me, so I did not pay for seat assignments for DH, DD(10 at the time), and me - as it turned out we ended up all seated together anyway. We might have just been lucky, since if other passengers paid for a specific seat then they would obviously get it. We ended up in the last row of J class, middle section, those must have been the least desirable.

Do you have a credit card with an airline incidental credit that you could use to pay for seat selection (Amex Plat, Biz Plat, Gold, CSR, BoAPR, several others)?

As for earning in-flight miles in OneWorld, between BA and AA I prefer AA for a couple reasons.

1. I can easily transfer URs and MRs to BA, but not to AA. Thus I can access Avios easily, but not AA miles (I've gotten AA credit cards but I haven't done the graavy train).
2. I can book BA flights with sAAver miles (but pay the exorbitant taxes and fees - really only "worth" it for award tickets in J or F). I can only book AA flights with Avios if sAAver fares are available. I don't live near an AA hub, so that function is of limited use to me, since I would have to pay for 2+ legs and since BA is distance-based per leg, that might be more costly with Avios.
DW has a CSR, her travel credit resets in December. I am leaning toward just taking the chance and not paying for seats though. I started a dummy booking on BA's site to see the prices, and the cheapest is $32/person/flight. I don't really want to use up almost my whole travel credit paying for seat assignments when I already have other plans for it.

Good point about BA being a transfer partner of both UR & MR. I've never booked a flight using airline miles, since starting this hobby I've just used UR points for flights, so I'm still learning how the different programs/partnerships work.

We're flying from Aberdeen, Scotland, connecting through London Heathrow. I think the departure taxes from Heathrow are especially high. The BA because-we-can fee was $100 each. They're the exact flights that work best with our itinerary though, so I had to bite the bullet. When I booked I thought, well, at least I don't have to pay for meals or seats. HA!
Ha! I love London and am excited to take my kids for their first time, but you definitely have to be willing to pay through the nose to get there. I don't think I'm going to pay for seats but I will probably end up paying to feed my kids dinner at the airport before we board since I'm 99.9999% certain neither of them will touch the airplane food. :rolleyes2 I'll have to see what the PP lounge options are, maybe we'll get lucky with a free dinner that way.

no advice at re: these two cards? I don't know Barcs that well..... if I were to go for both which should be first? I am leaning towards AA first as that's a load of points to use for not much effort...
I went for the AA Biz cards for both myself and DW when they had the 60K points for 1 purchase. I don't have an immediate use for the miles but we live in NYC so we have a lot of options on AA from here. We both got instant approval, but they were our first Barclay's cards. I had planned to wait a few months and then try for the Arrival+ after we finished the MSR on DW's CIP but she only has $1K left to go and it hasn't even been a month since I got the AA Biz. So now I'm not sure what to do. I may just take a break & wait until the end of the year to apply for Arrival+. I'm also keeping my eye out for an increased offer on the JetBlue card. I passed on it last time because I was still working on Chase cards. Now that I'm done with Chase I'm more apt to jump on a good offer.

I did the 40k/$1k through referral on 10/3/18. It is a bummer I don't get to do the extra spend/points, but I needed the CP for thanksgiving, mid December vaca, and new years flights, so I am still getting alot of value, at least. I hit the $1k so quick. It was awesome.
I’d ask if they’ll match to this new offer. At least then you’d have the option if you wanted to try for the 20k extra :)

What’s the temperature there?

It was 30-something with a windchill in the 20s this morning, so not quite 3 thankfully. The wind is driving me crazy, it's so loud.

I was in Maryland for Snowmageddon, etc. Decided to move back to drought-sticken Texas to be nearer to sick family members. As we signed our lease it began raining. I joke we should move to California next...

thanks for AA advice.... so it looks like you can get AA points thru different card brands....do all the points just go into one acct. for use,regardless of card brand?

no advice at re: these two cards? I don't know Barcs that well..... if I were to go for both which should be first? I am leaning towards AA first as that's a load of points to use for not much effort...

I got mine almost back to back last year (maybe a month apart?). I think the Arrival or Arrival+ is a keeper (I downgraded after a year) just for a chip and PIN option but the AA miles are so easy I'd probably go for that one first.

I'm not looking forward to the damp cold of TX. It's so much worse than the dry cold of CO. It seems it is either cold or rainy or both (yuck!) every time we go back to TX!

I know, it's the cold and wet that is so uncomfortable! So weird that the humidity can make it seem so much worse :sad1:

I know you weren't asking me LOL, but I thought I would chime in with the warm and toasty 3, I woke up this morning. I am so done, and it's only November 13th!

Three? I was thinking 50s was horrible today! Of course it was raining...
Like any good Southern girl I was super excited to break out my Uggs and leggings. It's SO COLD, must get on cold weather clothes:rotfl:

Ha! I love London and am excited to take my kids for their first time, but you definitely have to be willing to pay through the nose to get there

LOL! I feel that way about Scotland and unfortunately we're doing BA through LHR so I feel you! Another perk of Aer Lingus for my trip back from Paris (ignoring the lovely green seats and shamrock:shamrock:) next year was the taxes-- half what I was looking at with BA. Of course what I'm saving in taxes I'm more than spending at a nice hotel in Dublin but that's my fuzzy travel math for you :rolleyes:

AmEx offers seem to have a new direction with some, I have 2 offers for using the "Plan it" feature for free. No discount on the purchase, but it seems like I'd basically get free financing for X period of time. I get that they're advertising their own product, but I hope this doesn't spell the beginning of the end to discounts. While I do appreciate being able to pay over time for free, it's not usually enough to pick one card over another.

Here's what I have -

Hilton – No Fee Plan It® Offer, exp 2/12/2019
First qualifying purchase of $500+ directly w/ Hilton towards an eligible stay w/ your enrolled Card will be placed into a 6-month no-fee payment plan. The monthly plan payment amount will be included in your Minimum Payment Due for 6 months.

Royal Caribbean 100% off the Plan fee, exp 3/12/2019
First qualifying purchase of $1000+ with Royal Caribbean International® w/ your enrolled Card will be placed into a 6-month no-fee payment plan. Monthly plan payment amount will be included in your Minimum Payment Due for 6 months.

I got that too about the plan it with my HH. Also got a couple credits from when I did some shopping. Not sure what that is about.

I am so hoping we still have the in-flight 50k offers :( Been waiting for months to go for this and I fly in two days! Why, southwest, why!?!?!?

Me too, we fly the 30th...

Now I don't know what to do...if the in-flight offer is the same as the new offers out today, it's very unlikely SW will release a better offer anytime soon, right? I guess I still go for the 40k personal (undecided on plus or priority) and then the biz. I'd have 1k spend on pers/3k on biz. Would technically only need 6k more for the CP. Ack, this just wrecks my plans :scared:

I'm just worried the 50k has been updated in-flight :( If it is there, I'm jumping on it!

FYI — for those wondering if the 50k in-flight offers are still available, there’s a thread on Reddit for that: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9wo55m/comment/e9mhrq9?st=JOG9F2PL&sh=d5283bfc

Per this comment, the 50k offer is still available in-flight as of today.

I know you weren't asking me LOL, but I thought I would chime in with the warm and toasty 3, I woke up this morning. I am so done, and it's only November 13th!
Lol I was hoping someone else would post about what cold really feels like. It wasn’t 3 here but close to that this morning. I’m happy to see the forecast of 40s the rest of this week though! That seems crazy hot for what it has been

Anyone know why I would get a second CIP in the mail? Exactly like the one I received last week when I had it expedited?

It was 30-something with a windchill in the 20s this morning, so not quite 3 thankfully. The wind is driving me crazy, it's so loud.

I was in Maryland for Snowmageddon, etc. Decided to move back to drought-sticken Texas to be nearer to sick family members. As we signed our lease it began raining. I joke we should move to California next...
That seems pretty cold for Texas but definitely not what it’s like here lol. I’m sure we complain about the heat here when to you it might not seem so bad.

Okay I need some hilton advice for our Tokyo trip next June. We are looking at June 9-15 and I’m seeing lots of availability for rooms right now, but I have a friend going the end of May that just told me some of her dates are sold out. She went ahead and booked the beginning of her trip and is staying somewhere else during the sold out dates.

My question is should I go ahead and book it now?

We are going to change to points later anyway. We are planning on getting more Hilton cards though and could put that spend on a new card.

Will it not count towards MSR though because we will change the reservation to points later?

Hopefully this makes sense to someone.

Anyone know why I would get a second CIP in the mail? Exactly like the one I received last week when I had it expedited?

Second CIP is probably the original one that was pressed and sent via snail mail, before you requested the card expedited. Chase probably made a second card for you that they expedited and you received first.

P.S. LOL what @Ava said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter