I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I don't know what to do...if the in-flight offer is the same as the new offers out today, it's very unlikely SW will release a better offer anytime soon, right? I guess I still go for the 40k personal (undecided on plus or priority) and then the biz. I'd have 1k spend on pers/3k on biz. Would technically only need 6k more for the CP. Ack, this just wrecks my plans :scared:

I am so annoyed. Flights dropped again, so I can have us fly wed pm to chs instead of thurs am. Great, no traveling on thanksgiving morning. Well, there is not a single car of any sort to be had from hertz for wed pm. (I already have a car reserved tours-sat). I could spend 30k URs on a car through the portal or $300 through Costco for another company. We have tons of hertz points. Why would they be sold out of every car type in the charleston area when they had plenty jus 2 weeks ago?? And why would they be the only agency that is sold out?? Especially when flight prices are dropping, thus seem to not be full. It isn't really the kind of trip where we could uber. Besides the fact that there are 6 of us, we will be driving all over for family and friends visits. Guess we will stick with our Thursday morning flight. :mad:

I am so annoyed. Flights dropped again, so I can have us fly wed pm to chs instead of thurs am. Great, no traveling on thanksgiving morning. Well, there is not a single car of any sort to be had from hertz for wed pm. (I already have a car reserved tours-sat). I could spend 30k URs on a car through the portal or $300 through Costco for another company. We have tons of hertz points. Why would they be sold out of every car type in the charleston area when they had plenty jus 2 weeks ago?? And why would they be the only agency that is sold out?? Especially when flight prices are dropping, thus seem to not be full. It isn't really the kind of trip where we could uber. Besides the fact that there are 6 of us, we will be driving all over for family and friends visits. Guess we will stick with our Thursday morning flight. :mad:

Are there any other locations besides the airport you could check? Would be a pain for sure but might be worth it?

Now I don't know what to do...if the in-flight offer is the same as the new offers out today, it's very unlikely SW will release a better offer anytime soon, right? I guess I still go for the 40k personal (undecided on plus or priority) and then the biz. I'd have 1k spend on pers/3k on biz. Would technically only need 6k more for the CP. Ack, this just wrecks my plans :scared:

you have 3 months to point match if something better comes out too.
Unless u could ms that 20k(bank fund it?), id just stick with the 50k offer. u can easily put more spendings on another card to MSR on.

Wait, did you guys see the massive new Spark cash bonus? You can get 200,000 miles ($2k) but you need to be able to push $50k in 6 months. Way above my limit but I know a couple of you here can do it. Eye popping.

https://onemileatatime.com/best-bonus-spark-business/

That is very tempting! Is Capital One typically difficult to get?

Getting $500 bonus for $5K spend is fairly common for the good reward cards - on these two you would get back $510 for the $5K spend (10.2%).

The next tier is $1500 bonus for $45K spend - you'd get back $1530 for the $45K spend (3.4%). Not bad, but you can probably do better with getting new credit card signup bonuses for the $45K spend, and some cards are better in category spend.

Based on my google search, it looks like Capital One will report business cards to your personal credit reports. Both cards require excellent credit. And Cap1 will do a hard pull on all 3 bureaus.

After my initial excitement, I'm taking a pass on these.

These new SW card offers are very interesting...

• The 40k for $1,000 is a really good return on the MSR. I value SW RR pts at 1.48cpp so it’s 41,000 SW RRs worth $607 (less $69 AF) = net $538 for $1,000 MSR @ a 54% return.
  • The addition 20k pts requires another $11,000 in MSR. So on that portion alone it’s 31,000 SW RRs worth $459 for $11,000 MSR @ a 4% return.
  • Combined it’s 72k SW RRs @ a net return of 8.3% on $12k spend.
Obviously the 50k in flight is a FAR superior return. Just figured I’d put some numbers to these new offers...
so would you say go for the $69 or $149 card with this offer? I value SWA very highly myself

Ok I need advice on two specific cards.... I want both the Barclays AAdvantage aviator AND the arrival+....is that an impossible dream? I already have the Barclays JB card (one year) I think I've read they're stingy with their approvals? which one is more valuable overall? the AA has 1 purchase/50k miles + $99 companion cert- the arrival has 5k/60k offer waived af...... I like them both, wondering which is a better bonus deal? and If I got the AA now, what are my odds of getting the arrival in a few months?
no advice at re: these two cards? I don't know Barcs that well..... if I were to go for both which should be first? I am leaning towards AA first as that's a load of points to use for not much effort...

These new SW card offers are very interesting...

• The 40k for $1,000 is a really good return on the MSR. I value SW RR pts at 1.48cpp so it’s 41,000 SW RRs worth $607 (less $69 AF) = net $538 for $1,000 MSR @ a 54% return.
  • The addition 20k pts requires another $11,000 in MSR. So on that portion alone it’s 31,000 SW RRs worth $459 for $11,000 MSR @ a 4% return.
  • Combined it’s 72k SW RRs @ a net return of 8.3% on $12k spend.
Obviously the 50k in flight is a FAR superior return. Just figured I’d put some numbers to these new offers...

I did the 40k/$1k through referral on 10/3/18. It is a bummer I don't get to do the extra spend/points, but I needed the CP for thanksgiving, mid December vaca, and new years flights, so I am still getting alot of value, at least. I hit the $1k so quick. It was awesome.

Are there any other locations besides the airport you could check? Would be a pain for sure but might be worth it?
I tried that too. Nothing. So weird that I sort of think it is an IT glitch. There is nothing going on in charleston, other than normal thanksgiving travel and this seems odd for just that.

:offtopic: Does anyone have any experience with either Rockland or TPRC hard-sided luggage? Ebags has what seems like some good deals on these, I'm looking at a 3 piece set for either $138 or $115. I have the $20 Amex offer for $100 purchase. Can't decide which to go with... I decided this will be my Christmas present from DH. Thanks for any feedback!:-)

no advice at re: these two cards? I don't know Barcs that well..... if I were to go for both which should be first? I am leaning towards AA first as that's a load of points to use for not much effort...

We've had these cards. I would lean towards the AA card first assuming you have a good use for them. Since you already have one Barclays, I would not expect an instant approval, and you may have to call in to move some credit around in order to get another card.

I've been tempted to churn the Arrival+ due to the signup bonus, but it's so dang hard to use up the last few points especially since Barclays restricts you to $100 minimum for travel redemption. I would go into this card knowing best case scenario I would lose the final $5+ reward (the 5% rebate you get for point redemption). I found it aggravating.

That said, unused AA miles are "lost money" too. For some reason it doesn't bother me as much to have miles sitting around in my account though.

We've had these cards. I would lean towards the AA card first assuming you have a good use for them. Since you already have one Barclays, I would not expect an instant approval, and you may have to call in to move some credit around in order to get another card.

I've been tempted to churn the Arrival+ due to the signup bonus, but it's so dang hard to use up the last few points especially since Barclays restricts you to $100 minimum for travel redemption. I would go into this card knowing best case scenario I would lose the final $5+ reward (the 5% rebate you get for point redemption). I found it aggravating.

That said, unused AA miles are "lost money" too. For some reason it doesn't bother me as much to have miles sitting around in my account though.
thanks.... I don't have use at the moment for AA points, but I know they'll be very useable in travel going forward.... I sometimes gather points before having actual plans for them b/c they're a good deal at the time(hello hilton) so I'm thinking it might good to start gathering these? (btw I found uses for my hilton points pretty quickly after getting them)

thanks.... I don't have use at the moment for AA points, but I know they'll be very useable in travel going forward.... I sometimes gather points before having actual plans for them b/c they're a good deal at the time(hello hilton) so I'm thinking it might good to start gathering these? (btw I found uses for my hilton points pretty quickly after getting them)

if u dont have any plans to use them, i think its better to hoard one of the 4(now 5 with capital one?) generalized points.

Oh no!! My aunt told me today it was cold. I need warmth! Badly! I will definitely report back on the offers I see. I just flew SW to HOU in Sept and I didn't see any kiosks in Denver or Hobby and nothing in flight. However, the chatter here has been that the offers are out there now. Keeping my fingers crossed!

It's not cold, it's freezing. I felt like I was back in Maryland last night, not in Austin. I swear cold and rain follow me. It doesn't help that I'm always cold.

It's not cold, it's freezing. I felt like I was back in Maryland last night, not in Austin. I swear cold and rain follow me. It doesn't help that I'm always cold.

:( I think cold and rain follow me too, and I'm also always cold. I'm not looking forward to the damp cold of TX. It's so much worse than the dry cold of CO. It seems it is either cold or rainy or both (yuck!) every time we go back to TX!

AmEx offers seem to have a new direction with some, I have 2 offers for using the "Plan it" feature for free. No discount on the purchase, but it seems like I'd basically get free financing for X period of time. I get that they're advertising their own product, but I hope this doesn't spell the beginning of the end to discounts. While I do appreciate being able to pay over time for free, it's not usually enough to pick one card over another.

Here's what I have -

Hilton – No Fee Plan It® Offer, exp 2/12/2019
First qualifying purchase of $500+ directly w/ Hilton towards an eligible stay w/ your enrolled Card will be placed into a 6-month no-fee payment plan. The monthly plan payment amount will be included in your Minimum Payment Due for 6 months.

Royal Caribbean 100% off the Plan fee, exp 3/12/2019
First qualifying purchase of $1000+ with Royal Caribbean International® w/ your enrolled Card will be placed into a 6-month no-fee payment plan. Monthly plan payment amount will be included in your Minimum Payment Due for 6 months.

so would you say go for the $69 or $149 card with this offer? I value SWA very highly myself
We love SW too and always get the CP.......I upgraded from the $69 plus card to the $149 Priority because it offers a $75 SW credit...so to me Became a $74 fee card...and the annual Bonus RR points are 7,500 vs 3,000 on the plus card

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter