I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was finally successful in getting a family member to understand the benefits of this hobby. My mom and my dad cruise a ton. They sometimes leave locally from the Port of New Orleans, but over the last couple of years they have been flying to Florida to try out different ships and destinations. They tend to use SW when they are flying, whether for a cruise or otherwise. We've discussed the SW cards on several occasions, but she's never really sounded interested. She only has a couple of cash back cards that don't earn much, but does understand the benefit of moving all regular spend onto credit cards in order to get some type of reward back, whether it's cash back or points. I've tried explaining to her the benefits of travel reward cards and at least the possibility of getting a SW card to use for the flights she's already booking - completely aside from any churning or trying to get CP.

Earlier this week I was telling her about booking our second WDW trip this year using UR points and using our SW points for our flights. Basically we've only paid $33.60 OOP for the entire trip so far. Well, I think DH earning CP recently has made her have a little change of heart. A day or so after I told her about him earning it, she called me asking how the CP works and how to get it. When I explained the easiest method would be to get two cards, she was immediately bothered. Eventually she did decide to go ahead and apply for the Plus and was instantly approved. She was taken aback by the limit they gave her, having no prior relationship with Chase. I explained this seemed to be a common thing with Chase. Then she says "So you mean they would actually give me another card even with this ridiculous limit I received? How in the world do they make a decision like that in just a few seconds? There's no way!" So I explained there are tons of people who do it this way and it's definitely the easiest (and probably the most common) way people earn the CP, especially now with the 60K bonuses. I also mentioned to her DH's second app was initially denied, but that was due to 2/30 and I counted the darn days wrong - guess I forgot February is a short month. LOL. I was able to SM Chase and got the card approved shortly after. That definitely made her uneasy, so I just let it be.

Fast forward to this evening, she calls me and says "You know we have 4 flights booked right now for the next several months. Well as much as I didn't want to get denied, I decided to go ahead and apply for that other card. I can't believe it, but they approved me again and gave me another ridiculous limit!" I laughed so hard I almost cried. Obviously this was followed with more questions about CP and how it will all work with her existing flights. I can already see we'll be discussing this a lot more in the immediate future. I'm actually super excited. I suppose I converted my mom! I definitely do not see her jumping on a CSR or CIP app, or anything like that, but it's baby steps. :)

I was finally successful in getting a family member to understand the benefits of this hobby. My mom and my dad cruise a ton. They sometimes leave locally from the Port of New Orleans, but over the last couple of years they have been flying to Florida to try out different ships and destinations. They tend to use SW when they are flying, whether for a cruise or otherwise. We've discussed the SW cards on several occasions, but she's never really sounded interested. She only has a couple of cash back cards that don't earn much, but does understand the benefit of moving all regular spend onto credit cards in order to get some type of reward back, whether it's cash back or points. I've tried explaining to her the benefits of travel reward cards and at least the possibility of getting a SW card to use for the flights she's already booking - completely aside from any churning or trying to get CP.

Earlier this week I was telling her about booking our second WDW trip this year using UR points and using our SW points for our flights. Basically we've only paid $33.60 OOP for the entire trip so far. Well, I think DH earning CP recently has made her have a little change of heart. A day or so after I told her about him earning it, she called me asking how the CP works and how to get it. When I explained the easiest method would be to get two cards, she was immediately bothered. Eventually she did decide to go ahead and apply for the Plus and was instantly approved. She was taken aback by the limit they gave her, having no prior relationship with Chase. I explained this seemed to be a common thing with Chase. Then she says "So you mean they would actually give me another card even with this ridiculous limit I received? How in the world do they make a decision like that in just a few seconds? There's no way!" So I explained there are tons of people who do it this way and it's definitely the easiest (and probably the most common) way people earn the CP, especially now with the 60K bonuses. I also mentioned to her DH's second app was initially denied, but that was due to 2/30 and I counted the darn days wrong - guess I forgot February is a short month. LOL. I was able to SM Chase and got the card approved shortly after. That definitely made her uneasy, so I just let it be.

Fast forward to this evening, she calls me and says "You know we have 4 flights booked right now for the next several months. Well as much as I didn't want to get denied, I decided to go ahead and apply for that other card. I can't believe it, but they approved me again and gave me another ridiculous limit!" I laughed so hard I almost cried. Obviously this was followed with more questions about CP and how it will all work with her existing flights. I can already see we'll be discussing this a lot more in the immediate future. I'm actually super excited. I suppose I converted my mom! I definitely do not see her jumping on a CSR or CIP app, or anything like that, but it's baby steps. :)

I just helped my mother complete her spend on her SW Premier and Plus cards. I wrote her a check and she paid ahead on my cell phone bill, as well as getting some gift cards that we will end up using for grocery shopping. Hopefully she will have her CP by the second week in July. I just got mine. We have our APs for Disney so I expect we will be taking grandkids for a few trips. Also looking at Aruba this winter. I haven't flown SW yet but I think I'm going to love them:goodvibes

I just helped my mother complete her spend on her SW Premier and Plus cards. I wrote her a check and she paid ahead on my cell phone bill, as well as getting some gift cards that we will end up using for grocery shopping. Hopefully she will have her CP by the second week in July. I just got mine. We have our APs for Disney so I expect we will be taking grandkids for a few trips. Also looking at Aruba this winter. I haven't flown SW yet but I think I'm going to love them:goodvibes
Gotta love free, right?

I wouldn't know what that's like. I've tried and tried but no dice.
Ha! I get the "look" from friends and family:rotfl: as if I'm some crazy millionaire who's trying to drag everyone into financial ruin along with me..... I currently amd trying to help a couple of family members get the right points for a disney trip next year.....slow but steady lol

on a side note- in the cashback monitor I've found a new (to me) portal called Giving assistant- anyone use this? any good or bad reviews?

You can pay part of the amount with your card and part with points. When you check in to swolphin tell them you forgot to add your SPG number to the reservation. Then you should be able to earn points for the stay.
When I made a reservation through the Chase UR portal yesterday there was actually a screen with a field for hotel loyalty name and number (or at least something along those lines). I was booking a Disney owned property, so I just skipped over that part. I definitely do not recall seeing that section when I booked through the portal a few months back. I'm wondering if the SPG number were entered there if the points would be awarded.

Are you saying if you pay even a small amount with cash then you can get points for your stay? I can confirm if you use all UR points, you definitely do not get hotel points. On our trip we stayed at several Marriotts, a Hilton and a Choice Hotel. I put all of our hotel loyalty numbers in the UR portal. Two of the hotels even asked for our numbers and said it was not on the reservation. We received zero points for our stays. With the Hilton, I can see the stay and the zero points. With the Marriott and the Choice the stay doesn't even show up in our past visits. I thought it might at least count as nights for hotel status, but no dice.

Are you saying if you pay even a small amount with cash then you can get points for your stay? I can confirm if you use all UR points, you definitely do not get hotel points. On our trip we stayed at several Marriotts, a Hilton and a Choice Hotel. I put all of our hotel loyalty numbers in the UR portal. Two of the hotels even asked for our numbers and said it was not on the reservation. We received zero points for our stays. With the Hilton, I can see the stay and the zero points. With the Marriott and the Choice the stay doesn't even show up in our past visits. I thought it might at least count as nights for hotel status, but no dice.
I know, I love this idea- and if I do pay some in cash, I assume it would have to be the actual room, not the taxes and fees that are extra (points or cash)...and..... would they apply points to 'cost' of the whole reservation,or just the cashpart,like say $10 bucks worth?

Ha! I get the "look" from friends and family:rotfl: as if I'm some crazy millionaire who's trying to drag everyone into financial ruin along with me..... I currently amd trying to help a couple of family members get the right points for a disney trip next year.....slow but steady lol

Just out of curiosity, which card did you tell them to get? My sister had asked for help for a Disney trip next year. I had originally told her to get the Discover with 2% cash back and the bonus categories because she was remodeling and the bonus category was home improvement stores. She did not listen, so now I think I would tell her to get a different card. I was leaning towards the cash back in case she did not travel and could at least use the cash back at any time. Now I am thinking she should go for the Freedom or the Freedom Unlimited. She only wants one and no annual fee, so baby steps.

I wouldn't know what that's like. I've tried and tried but no dice.

Ha! I get the "look" from friends and family:rotfl: as if I'm some crazy millionaire who's trying to drag everyone into financial ruin along with me

It's the same way for me. I suppose that's why I'm so excited about my mom going for CP. Finally there is someone in my family (and real life) who is at least starting to understand this!

Just out of curiosity, which card did you tell them to get? My sister had asked for help for a Disney trip next year. I had originally told her to get the Discover with 2% cash back and the bonus categories because she was remodeling and the bonus category was home improvement stores. She did not listen, so now I think I would tell her to get a different card. I was leaning towards the cash back in case she did not travel and could at least use the cash back at any time. Now I am thinking she should go for the Freedom or the Freedom Unlimited. She only wants one and no annual fee, so baby steps.
no AF and baby steps? a freedom card. Small AF and bigger plans? a swa card with the big bonus(teaches people quickly how good this can get) SPG card with a good bonus for great stays (one time plans) but this one takes more pluck- (I didn;t recommend that one to a fam member who may or may not go, I feel like the points might get wasted and a safer option is better for them)

Last question I think :laughing:. I got the SPG Amex and American Airlines MC on 3/28 and the CSP on 5/28. When would you reccomend going for the CSR?

You already know Chase has a 5/24 rule -- automatic denial for certain cards if you've opened 5 new credit cards from any issuer in the past 24 months. There's also a 2/30 rule -- only 2 applications in the last 30 days or you'll be denied. Based on your data, you should be okay to apply for the CSR. Also keep in mind that the CSR is a Visa Infinite card, which requires Chase extend you a minimum $10,000 credit line on that card. Chase does not like to extend total personal credit in excess of 1/2 your available income. When applying, you can count any source of income, compensation, funds that you have access to in order to repay debt, so you can use total household income if that helps. It also helps to have a good credit score, clean and long history, and prior relationship with Chase.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have been going back and forth for weeks reading this thread as well as other websites, just to decide what cc I should go for next. The only charges I put on my cc's are groceries, gas, restaurants, cellphone, utilities and internet. Of course there are dental (when they come up) as well as medical and then the occasional QVC shopping (which I have cut down on a lot..lol).

But we are looking to go to Hawaii in 2018 or 2019 (would love to do a 1st Class flight). Anywho I am trying to figure out what is the best card for this venture. I have the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited but I am wondering if I should go for the Sapphire Reserve or Preferred. That $450 AF with the Reserve is something I can come to terms with esp that the points are worth 50% more and I have some from my Freedom(s) that can be transferred.

I guess what is holding me back now is trying to spend $4k in 3 months. Certainly don't want to just spend on anything. I did do a tally of my bills for 3 months and it does come out to approx. $2200. I guess I could/would spend the last $1800 in gift cards. Ideas...? Thanks

ok need some help , so i just got the SW plus, but once again they only gave it to me after transferring credit form my other cards. I currently also have the SW premier which I've had for 3 yrs, anyone want to try and take a guess on whether I would be better off, canceling the current premier, wait a month and apply for that so I can get bonus, cancel that and apply for the business SW, don't cancel and apply for the business SW. will chase transfer credit form a personal to a business or just denied the business, I'm currently at 3/24, CSP in april, Amex gold in June and the SW plus in June. one other point I really want the Ink business, is it true Chase will only give 2 business, if so what is the best way to get the SW premier, cancel and then wait and reply , or just go ahead and apply now without cancelling the other one.

if you have had the SW premier for 3 years, you might actually qualify for another bonus with the SW premier by applying again. It usually 2 years to get the bonus again. I believe it should be 2 years from application date.

if you have had the SW premier for 3 years, you might actually qualify for another bonus with the SW premier by applying again. It usually 2 years to get the bonus again. I believe it should be 2 years from application date.

yes, I know I'm eligible, just trying to decide to I close the old one first then apply for a new one or just apply for a new one with the old one still open? I'd rather be able to get the companion with the 2 personnel cards as opposed to adding the business in, as I really want to try and get the ink, and I hear that Chase doesn't like to give 2 business cards

Hey y'all, need some advice.

Just tried applying for the Disney visa card to get the $200 GC bonus.
When i hit submit, it gave me an error msg and to try again later. I don't want to keep applying and hurt my credit. any idea if it went through and how i can check if the application got approved or denied?

TY!!

Last edited:
yes, I know I'm eligible, just trying to decide to I close the old one first then apply for a new one or just apply for a new one with the old one still open? I'd rather be able to get the companion with the 2 personnel cards as opposed to adding the business in, as I really want to try and get the ink, and I hear that Chase doesn't like to give 2 business cards

i believe you need to close account and reopen. I dont have experience in this department so you may want to ask chase directly.
doesnt like to, doesnt mean they wont though. :] there are a few people that have both the CI+ and CIP. YMMV though. If you have a legit business, then i wouldnt worry.

Update on my insurance claim. I hate them...

You already know Chase has a 5/24 rule -- automatic denial for certain cards if you've opened 5 new credit cards from any issuer in the past 24 months. There's also a 2/30 rule -- only 2 applications in the last 30 days or you'll be denied. Based on your data, you should be okay to apply for the CSR. Also keep in mind that the CSR is a Visa Infinite card, which requires Chase extend you a minimum $10,000 credit line on that card. Chase does not like to extend total personal credit in excess of 1/2 your available income. When applying, you can count any source of income, compensation, funds that you have access to in order to repay debt, so you can use total household income if that helps. It also helps to have a good credit score, clean and long history, and prior relationship with Chase.

Good luck!

Ok thank you!

On a side note, I forgot I also have a Chase Slate card that's 10+ yrs old. I know I need to keep it open for my age of credit but is it possible to have it changed into a freedom so I can at least get some points if out if? I have nt used it in forever but I know I need to in order for it to remain open. (Learned that the hard way
with my amazon card that was closed for non use :oops: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter